Single Occupancy Rates for Carnival

capcadet104

Hi,

I caught the cruise-bug and after getting off the Carnival Valor on Thursday I already can't wait to get back onto another cruise after the end of my semester at UH. It'll be my third cruise and I think it'll be cool to go by myself, to give me some "me" time.

Except it seems like the prices jump up 2x when I try to book a cruise for just myself on Carnival's website. Will there be sales Carnival would be holding between now and then that make get rid of that double-billing or just reduce the price for like single-occupants or repeat customers?

Carnival will occasionally have cruises where the supplement is less, but it is rare.

I was pleasantly surprised to find Royal Caribbean does have solo cabins (very few) on some ships, and my next cruise, on the Anthem of the Seas, found they have solo balcony cabins, even! I got a great deal - my balcony cabin, for just me, was only $775, and I ended up getting upgraded to a "regular" balcony cabin.

Carnival is my preferred cruise line, but definitely check out others.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I cruise solo all the time. My earlier cruises were on Carnival and Royal, But due to their insisting on the 200% rate, I will not pay double! (That insistence has only been in the last two years). My last three cruises (all within the last 15 months) have been on NCL. Mainly due to their solo rates, but also the studio lounge and gatherings that are held. A few of their ship offer solo gathering events, organized by a crew member. I for one enjoy NCL and will be back on the "Epic" in six weeks. Give them a try, I think you"ll enjoy.

Keep an eye on the thread in this section (Single Supplement and Solo deals) - they often have information you might not otherwise find on your own. I just booked a Princess cruise (interior) without the single supplement - saved myself $1200 or more (CDN).

I've sailed on NCL (Escape) and really liked the solo cabins. Unlike an interior on other ships there is a porthole window looking out onto the corridor so you don't feel you're tucked up in a cave. The space is small but well designed so lots of storage room. An added plus is the solo lounge you have access to; it's a great place to meet other solos if you choose.

In any event, keep on cruisin' :)

Find a buddy to cruise with. Just so you do not have to pay a so much! If not, you will feel cheated.

Easier said than done. It's very difficult for me to find others to cruise with. Some of the challenges:

1. They have to want to cruise.

2. They have to have the money to cruise.

3. Their vacation time has to align with yours.

4. It has to be someone you're willing to share a small space with for a week or more.

I used to be able to get 150% single supplements on Carnival's 1A cabins, but no more. I would sail Carnival more often if they didn't charge double. At least Princess give you double points if you pay double.

Roz

Think of it as what you are paying for the cabin versus paying double. If Carnival wants $1,000 for that cabin, they advertise $500 per person. Since you are only one person, you have to pay the whole $1,000.

NCL solo cabin seem nice although I have not sailed in one yet, but, there are 2 possible cruises I am looking at in April and the cost for the solo cabin is roughly the same as paying the single supplement for a regular inside. $1198 for and inside, and $1199 for a solo cabin. The only difference is that you get to choose the solo cabin, and you are entitled to the one perk at that price. On the regular inside cabin, that is for the inside guarantee and you do not get any perk with that. You would have to upgrade to a better inside level and that is about $200 higher.

I cruise solo all the time. My earlier cruises were on Carnival and Royal, But due to their insisting on the 200% rate, I will not pay double! (That insistence has only been in the last two years). My last three cruises (all within the last 15 months) have been on NCL. Mainly due to their solo rates, but also the studio lounge and gatherings that are held. A few of their ship offer solo gathering events, organized by a crew member. I for one enjoy NCL and will be back on the "Epic" in six weeks. Give them a try, I think you"ll enjoy.

The studio cabins on NCL used to be a great deal. However, they're now outrageously priced and no longer discounted prices. I've been searching cruises from April to August and the CHEAPEST NCL has is $1750 taxes included for a studio! Absolutely ridiculous for a studio cabin! I can get an interior on Carnival for $1000. The Ultimate Beverage package is included on NCL. If I add the Cheers alcohol package with Carnival, my total cruise fare would be $1400. So, a 7 night on Carnival is $350 less than NCL and that's paying 200% supplement on Carnival.

The studio cabins on NCL used to be a great deal. However, they're now outrageously priced and no longer discounted prices. I've been searching cruises from April to August and the CHEAPEST NCL has is $1750 taxes included for a studio! Absolutely ridiculous for a studio cabin! I can get an interior on Carnival for $1000. The Ultimate Beverage package is included on NCL. If I add the Cheers alcohol package with Carnival, my total cruise fare would be $1400. So, a 7 night on Carnival is $350 less than NCL and that's paying 200% supplement on Carnival.

I'm going on the NCL Epic next week in a studio cabin. I paid $899 and I get one perk with that. I chose the ultimate beverage package. So all the adult beverages I want are included. There is a gratuity charge on that though.

After I return I will post my honest opinion on NCL studio cabins.

For the record I have cruised several times solo on Carnival and NCL.

Looking forward to your review, ShipsAhoy. Since you've cruised solo before but not in an NCL studio, I'm interesting in your impressions and comparisons. I've soloed on Carnival, HAL, Princess, and Uniworld.

Roz

Looking forward to your review, ShipsAhoy. Since you've cruised solo before but not in an NCL studio, I'm interesting in your impressions and comparisons. I've soloed on Carnival, HAL, Princess, and Uniworld.

Roz

Roz, I have no idea if I will love the studio's or hate them. What I do know is on any cruise I've been on I don't spend much time in my cabin. This past Sept. I was in a balcony cabin on the NCL Escape. It is really nice but I'll bet I didn't spend more than 20 minutes on it.

If I love or hate studio's I'll say just how I feel. Oh, not that it's relevant, but I'm a retired senior.

I'm going on the NCL Epic next week in a studio cabin. I paid $899 and I get one perk with that. I chose the ultimate beverage package. So all the adult beverages I want are included. There is a gratuity charge on that though.

I know the prices for studios were great in the past but that's no longer the case. I've sailed in the studios 3 times with the prices ranging from $599-$8499 plus taxes. Those prices no longer exist and I feel NCL has priced themselves out. Those tiny cabins DEFINITELY aren't worth almost $2000 for a 7 day cruise. The cheapest studio available for the next 12 months is $1340 plus taxes and fees! I cruised solo with Carnival when the had the 150% singles supplement, then switched to NCL when they had great prices for the studios. Now it's back to Carnival for my solo cruises. No brand loyalty here!

I know the prices for studios were great in the past but that's no longer the case. I've sailed in the studios 3 times with the prices ranging from $599-$8499 plus taxes. Those prices no longer exist and I feel NCL has priced themselves out. Those tiny cabins DEFINITELY aren't worth almost $2000 for a 7 day cruise. The cheapest studio available for the next 12 months is $1340 plus taxes and fees! I cruised solo with Carnival when the had the 150% singles supplement, then switched to NCL when they had great prices for the studios. Now it's back to Carnival for my solo cruises. No brand loyalty here!

Okay, let me start by saying that in many ways I agree with you. I don't think NCL studios are a bargain. I just checked prices and your right the prices have gone up. I copied and pasted part of my invoice for my next weeks cruise. here it is.

BOOKING COMPONENTS PER GUEST IN USD

Total Guest 1

Guest Fare 899.00

Gov Tax/Port Exp/Fees 130.89

Bev Srv Charge 99.54

Gross Total 1,129.43

So my total with fees and taxes is $1,129.43 with unlimited drinks. On cruises I enjoy an adult beverage or two so I always figure in that package whether it's included or I pay for it separately. I don't know what else to do.

I remember cruising Carnival with only a 25% single supplement and I liked that. Unless you can do very last minute cruises there are very few bargains for solo cruisers.

I don't disagree with you. I'm in the same boat.

Edited by ShipsAhoy508

Looking forward to your assessment on that low-priced solo cabin type

I agree with you that the studios aren't the deal they used to be. But it's not as bad as you make it out, IMO. There are lots of options for 2018-2019 at the $849 or less mark for a week on Epic or Bliss. Breakaway has 10 & 11 days at about the same price per day in early 2019.

There are even a few for 2017.

Epic 11/18, 11/25, 12/2, 12/9, 12/16 (Orlando $749 or $799), 10/8, 10/15, 10/22, 10/29 (Barcelona $799).

Breakaway 3/26 (NY $799).

A bunch more between $899 and $999 on Breakaway, Getaway and Escape.

Great info for solo cruisers. Is it hard to book unless you book well in advance?

The rock bottom solo deals are definitely last minute. Some just days prior to sailing. Pretty much what I only book. Snagged 9 last year on NCL. I now have my sights on 3-5 NCL Spirit which just dropped more today. :)

If anyone can do last minute cruise, NCL is the winner, they have many sailings that are extremely cheap and on top of that no single supplement at all.

Plus you don't need to look at studios, often balcony are cheaper then studios. I know its hard to believe but its true.

Twice I had gotten an amazing deal on NCL where a balcony was cheaper then the studio on NCL Breakaway.

Also I highly suggest looking at cruiseplum website. They don't sell cruises or anything for that matter, they just show you great deals. You just click "solos". It is also updated every single day. That's the only way I find out about amazing deals.

Just three weeks ago I did a 13 day Caribbean on NCL Breakaway, got a guarantee balcony for $749(not including taxes and fees.) No single supplement.

NCL also had a few great deals that are not last minute, all you have to do to is look at that website to be in the know.