Can someone answer few Carnival Questions for me?

Bosrox

we are sailing the Magic on December 30th our first cruise ever, out of Port Canaveral. Excited to celebrate NYE at sea.

A few questions if you don't mind helping..

1)I have added Cheers to my cart and have been informed on the website that 15% gratuity is added to my cart at time of purchase. I'm fine with that. But I'm sure I have read here that bartenders add 15% to the bill when we get each drink. Plus, some people say they tip $1-2 cash. So, am I technically tipping the bartenders 30% or how does that work?

2) I have read a lot about taking a power strip. Will a normal small 6 foot indoor extension cord with 2/3 plus on end work? How many prongs does the end need? I'm from Canada and not sure if we need an adapter of some kind? We just need to plus in iPhones and iPads

3)Do most people get Twin Rix, Dulcolax before hitting the Caribbean ports?

4) If we fly into Orlando, what are our best options on transportation from the airport to a hotel close to the Port?

Sorry for the newbie questions, just trying to be as prepared as possible!

We had our very first cruise on the Magic in February and it was fantastic. We are also Canadian and we hot the twinrix shots and a flu shot but that was all. We also got the Cheers package and yes it includes the tips so you don't have to add any additional tips unless you want to. People are always saying tip the bartenders extra and they will look after you but we didn't find that. We did give extra tips to the servers that came around and asked them to remember us and come back but that didn't really help so in the long run wasn't worth it.

We didn't use a powerstrip we got a couple of those double USB adapters from Amazon and they worked great we were able to charge 4 devices at a time.

As for hotels pick something at Cocoa Beach most of the hotels offer shuttle service to the port and if they don't have hotel shuttles check out Mears Transportation

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

we are sailing the Magic on December 30th our first cruise ever, out of Port Canaveral. Excited to celebrate NYE at sea.

1)I have added Cheers to my cart and have been informed on the website that 15% gratuity is added to my cart at time of purchase. I'm fine with that. But I'm sure I have read here that bartenders add 15% to the bill when we get each drink. Plus, some people say they tip $1-2 cash. So, am I technically tipping the bartenders 30% or how does that work?

When you get a drink they have you sign a receipt. There is an additional tip line if you want to add on. I write included on that line unless some exceptional service was given. So no double tipping most of the time.

2) I have read a lot about taking a power strip. Will a normal small 6 foot indoor extension cord with 2/3 plus on end work? How many prongs does the end need? I'm from Canada and not sure if we need an adapter of some kind? We just need to plus in iPhones and iPads

I took an extension cord plus a three pronged adapter to give more plug ins :)

Never had to take those so have no clue.

4) If we fly into Orlando, what are our best options on transportation from the airport to a hotel close to the Port? We rented a car from Budget and stayed at the Raddison . You can drop your car off and they will take you back to hotel to catch shuttle to port. Upon return Budget picked us up to get car back to MCO airport.

. We all have been a newbie but honestly Port Canaveral is one of our favorite ports and easy to cruise from .

4) If we fly into Orlando, what are our best options on transportation from the airport to a hotel close to the Port?

No need to add an extra tip to your bar bill. The 15% gratuity will be covered by your Cheers package. Whether you take an extension cord or power strip will depend on your needs, and how many devices you will need to plug in at the same time. Keep in mind, if you use a power strip, make sure it does not have a surge protector. Not sure why you would need Dulcolax (or similar), unless you have an existing plumbing problem. For hotel and transportation information in Orlando, go to the North American Homeports board on here, select "Florida", then do a search on there. You'll find lots of helpful information.

There is a 3 prong US outlet and a German style outlet on the ships. Your extension cord should be fine if it is the same as US.

From the website...

There is one electric outlet in each stateroom located in the area of the desk/vanity.

The outlet is equipped with a 3-prong 110 volt (North America Grounded) and a 220 volt (Europe German-Style).

The outlet in the bathroom can only be used for electric razors.

On the Carnival Vista, there is one USB outlet (5 volt, 1000mA) in each stateroom.

Power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

I know the web site says there is one North American outlet and one European outlet and the ones in our cabin had two plug ins in each one just like the outlets in your wall at home.

From the website...

There is one electric outlet in each stateroom located in the area of the desk/vanity.

The outlet is equipped with a 3-prong 110 volt (North America Grounded) and a 220 volt (Europe German-Style).

The outlet in the bathroom can only be used for electric razors.

On the Carnival Vista, there is one USB outlet (5 volt, 1000mA) in each stateroom.

You are only charged taxed once with the exception of when the ship is in certain ports - Like in Port Canaveral while the ship is in port you have to pay sales tax

Tipping extra $1-$2 is optional and not necessary - I never do this because they are already getting 15%

Yes the normal extension cords will work - I bring one of those - Your prings can either be 3 or 2 - I believe Canadian strips are the same as US

Have no idea - I don't

Rent a car and drive over beachside and go exploring

My boyfriend and I will be going on our first cruise in November. We used the website called http://www.goportcanaveral.com and they have package called fly snooze and cruise. A shuttle to picks you up at the air port takes you to the hotel, the next morning the shuttle takes you from the hotel to the cruise terminal, then the day you get back to port canaveral and disembark the shuttle picks you up at the terminal and takes you back to the air port. Price includes hotel room, I think we spent $159 total. So not bad at all

I have added Cheers to my cart and have been informed on the website that 15% gratuity is added to my cart at time of purchase. I'm fine with that. But I'm sure I have read here that bartenders add 15% to the bill when we get each drink. Plus, some people say they tip $1-2 cash. So, am I technically tipping the bartenders 30% or how does that work?

Gratuity is only added once if you get cheers it is added at the time of purchase, and if you buy drinks as you go then the 15% is added to your drinks then. As for tipping an extra $1-$2 is optional and not necessary however, my DW and I always tip good and in the beginning of the cruise. They will remember you after day #1 and you will get great service the rest of the cruise.

This in my opinion is up to the person. Canada is the same as US power cords, and as for the # of plugs and how many prongs again this is up to what the person's needs are.

My plumping is good so I do not need. As for the "Caribbean ports" if you need to help the plumping it does not matter if your in the Caribbeans or Alaska.

This is a question for my wife, she would fine you a good ride that was at a fare price. I believe someone posted about a web site to check out on this thread, I would start there.

1)I have added Cheers to my cart and have been informed on the website that 15% gratuity is added to my cart at time of purchase. I'm fine with that. But I'm sure I have read here that bartenders add 15% to the bill when we get each drink. Plus, some people say they tip $1-2 cash. So, am I technically tipping the bartenders 30% or how does that work? The 15% gratuity is once. You are only charged 15% per drink by the bartender if you are not on the Cheers program. And the $1 - $2 per drink is a personal choice. I usually do tip an extra $1 per drink and I have never used the Cheers program, I don't drink enough to justify it.

2) I have read a lot about taking a power strip. Will a normal small 6 foot indoor extension cord with 2/3 plus on end work? How many prongs does the end need? I'm from Canada and not sure if we need an adapter of some kind? We just need to plus in iPhones and iPads We used take a small strip type of device (there are pictures on CC of this thing everywhere) but we have been on at least one ship where it would not plug in - the plug was positioned in such a way that you could not physically fit the plug into the hole. Since that trip, I've resorted to taking a power strip as you never know where the outlets may be located in a particular stateroom. It may or may have not been the power surge type. I know the rules and they state that if you take a power strip it should be a non surge protector type. I think what I'd really like to invest in is a smaller squid type device, so that plugs - both in the wall and on the charger itself - and their directional requirements don't fit into the equation.

3)Do most people get Twin Rix, Dulcolax before hitting the Caribbean ports? If so, I'm not most people.

4) If we fly into Orlando, what are our best options on transportation from the airport to a hotel close to the Port? I have used the shuttle service that is booked by the Radisson at the Port in conjunction with a one night stay there. For two people it was the least expensive shuttle that I found. And we used Uber to the port, even though the hotel offers a shuttle from the hotel to the port. I would do that again.

If you want additional power sockets without bringing a power strip, I believe you can pick up adapters. We just picked up a couple of CKITZE BA-4's.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

We always stay at the Radisson at the Port. It has free shuttle to and from the hotel. You leave your car at the hotel. Once you book your room, call back to book your shuttle. They have two that leave in the morning; we usually take the first one.

My boyfriend and I will be going on our first cruise in November. We used the website called www.goportcanaveral.com and they have package called fly snooze and cruise. A shuttle to picks you up at the air port takes you to the hotel, the next morning the shuttle takes you from the hotel to the cruise terminal, then the day you get back to port canaveral and disembark the shuttle picks you up at the terminal and takes you back to the air port. Price includes hotel room, I think we spent $159 total. So not bad at all

That's a good deal!

We always stay at the Radisson at the Port. It has free shuttle to and from the hotel. You leave your car at the hotel. Once you book your room, call back to book your shuttle. They have two that leave in the morning; we usually take the first one.

Are the shuttles still a free for all? We used to sign up for a certain time and when the shuttle pulled up everybody and their brother tried to Pile in.

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

If you want additional power sockets without bringing a power strip, I believe you can pick up adapters. We just picked up a couple of CKITZE BA-4's.
Try as I will, I couldn't post photos yesterday.

41v7m8mckGL._AC_US218_.jpg

It always hits me how much American sockets look worried. :)

We are going to Radisson in September. What time does the first shuttle leave? Any problems getting the shuttle back to hotel?

• 3 weeks later...
Are the shuttles still a free for all? We used to sign up for a certain time and when the shuttle pulled up everybody and their brother tried to Pile in.

Bill

They have a list of who is on each shuttle and they call your name for you to board.:*

My boyfriend and I will be going on our first cruise in November. We used the website called www.goportcanaveral.com and they have package called fly snooze and cruise. A shuttle to picks you up at the air port takes you to the hotel, the next morning the shuttle takes you from the hotel to the cruise terminal, then the day you get back to port canaveral and disembark the shuttle picks you up at the terminal and takes you back to the air port. Price includes hotel room, I think we spent $159 total. So not bad at all

We also purchased the Fly Snooze & Cruise package for our cruise in August at $149.00 (cost us) it's such a great deal.:cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Bill

They have a list of names and when they call your name, you get on and it's really not bad at all.

We are going to Radisson in September. What time does the first shuttle leave? Any problems getting the shuttle back to hotel?

The first shuttle leaves around 10:00. We always book that one. On debark day we have always done self debark and have caught the shuttle at the cruise terminal as early as 6:45. If you have already booked your room, you may want to go ahead and call them back to book the shuttle.