FCO to LGW

TMLAalum

Am I foolish in thinking that @2hours before flight time from FCO to LGW is enough? I realize that 3 hours is recommended for flights from there to US destinations, but am considering a 10:50 Easyjet flight, disembarking at 7:30 via private transfer.

Thanks!

Globalizer, the OP states Easyjet is their airline.

Easyjet flys out of Terminal 3 (according to their website). I've flown out of Terminal 3 on Air Canada and and state that FCO is a nuthouse. You are probably OK with 2 hrs but why risk it? It looks like Easyjet has a number of daily flights between FCO and LGW so you may have a backup if things go wrong, but for the extra 60 minutes and peace of mind you will get why risk it?

Maybe someone who has flown Easyjet from FCO will have a different take on it.

Other options are Vueling aka British Air, aka Iberia (One World Partners) at 12:40pm and a later Easyjet flight departing at 1:25pm.

I don't know much about Vueling except that it's a LCC . We have flown Easyjet before-most recently Prague to AMS and find it to be just fine.

We will be picking up a rental car at LGW and driving to Bognor Regis in Sussex so the 10:50am flight could help in avoiding Friday afternoon traffic out of London.

Thanks again. We still have time to ponder.....:confused:.

Two hours on an european flight is more than enough. In fact, EZ may not even open up check-in until 90 minutes before departure. That's one of the ways in which these low cost carriers keep costs down, by only paying for a minimal amount of staff for a minimal time.

Cannot comment on Easyjet but we have flown out of FCO multiple times on Lufthansa, Air Canada, and Alitalia.

Our experience is that two hours is fine EXCEPT at busy holiday weekends or if there has been a strike on the preceding day.

If you're talking 2 hours after docking, you don't stand a chance. It's about 60km from Civitavecchia to FCO airport

We are scheduled to dock at 5am. Planning on arranging a private transfer to pick us up at 7:30am and we are likely to self-disembark.

Just be aware that EZY can (and will if they need the space) offload you at the gate as soon as 20 minutes prior to departure.

That seriously cuts your time if you are in a hurry.

What does "offload" mean? We did purchase insurance from EZY that should cover us to be rebooked if we miss this flight.

What does "offload" mean?
Remove you from the passenger list for the flight. You can think of it as reversing the check-in process. Once you're offloaded, you no longer have a valid boarding pass for the flight. You have to be checked-in again if you are to be permitted to board.

What does "offload" mean? We did purchase insurance from EZY that should cover us to be rebooked if we miss this flight.

Be sure to check the specific terms and conditions of your "insurance". Don't just rely on the marketing blurb that got you to buy it.

This question comes up often on the Italy Ports Of Call Board.

I comes down to how you handle stress and how much risk you want to take.

If everything goes well you'll make it.

However, you have put in very little time for something that could go wrong from ship arriving a little late to a slowdown getting luggage off the ship to a delay in your private transfer showing up or long lines at FCO airport.

So think that through.

Be sure if you go this way that you use a reliable private transfer service and not go with the cheapest one. There are several good ones to choose from and you can get that information on the Italy Ports Of Call Board.

Me, I don't care for stress so I wouldn't do this but for some they would.

Keith

Flights from FCO to the USA depart from "Terminal 5". This is not a terminal in the usual sense, as it is separated from the rest of the terminals and concourses. It is purely a processing area to handle check-in and the hightened security for flights to the USA and Israel. After all of your clearances, you'll take a bus to the departures area post-security in the actual concourses.