Infants Allowed in Pool?

HMbrink

My husband and I have a ten month old and really want to take a cruise. Pre-baby, we took a cruise on Princess and had a wonderful time. I've done some reading on the boards and cruise line web sites and understand the issue with babies wearing swim diapers in the regular pools. I know that Norwegian has kids pools that my baby can swim in, but does anyone know of any other cruise lines or specific ships in which this is also the case? I am not interested in a "water play" area, I really prefer a pool that she can get in. I fully understand the reasons why babies aren't allowed in main pools, but I also can't take my daughter on a cruise and not let her swim. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Hello,

We just got back from my families 4th cruise -- my son started cruising when he was under 1. There at that point we were on RCCL Grandeur of the Seas. He was permitted in the Solarium (which was enclosed so it was warm) AND all he needed was his swimper. Until this week, our last cruise was on Disney Magic when my daughter was 1.5 years. The roles were the same, but the Magic had an adult only pool -- fine enough. Just back from RCCL Voyager and no babies were permitted in ANY pools, not even the children's pool and the solarium was off limits to childern AND there was no enclosed area for swimming.

I'm guessing these strict regulations on no babies in pools are coming from the nasty illnesses and death (I believe) from e-coli from a swimming pool at Disney World. I don't recall exactly when it happened, but it was after we came back from our Disney Cruise -- so I'm guessing summer 2001.

Good luck finding a pool for a baby to swim in.

Bonnie

Bonnie: your cruise on the Granduer ws recent?? Coz I am reading that Royal enforces their no swim diapers or babies in any pool. Especially in the adult pool.

I was surprised to read this past week that CArnival does not enforce this rule and babies were in the main pool.

This comes from the spread of norwalk virus

Newer Princess ships have a wading pool near the kids' club. But kids that have not been toilet-trained are not allowed in Princess pools.

I actually didn't mind not taking infants into ship's pools because there are just too many splashing and swimming by others to make me feel comfortable with an infant.

My kids have more fun on the beach, so we picked itinerary that allow us to go to hotel pools (near the ports) and let them go wild there. We spent the whole day at a Puerto Vallarta hotel pool that was about a foot deep. My kids had tons of fun there. We also went to a hotel pool in Cabo San Lucas. We didn't miss ship's pool at all. If you pick the Caribbean itineries, you'll bound to find some beautiful beaches for your child to have tons of fun in the sand.

HTH.

Archived