Booking Land discoveries onboard

cruisemuse13

I am considering booking a Land Discovery but I would like to use my OBC. The excursion is on the second day of the cruise, at the first port stop. Does anyone know if it is possible to book an excursion on the first day of boarding for the following morning?

Yes, it is possible, the desk usually opens at around 1300 on embarkation day. You might need to have a Plan B if your first choice is fully booked. Some people report they have done a complex book in advance, cancel onboard with refund to credit card and rebook using OBC to be sure of a place on a trip, others have reported not being able to do this

It is just the "Florence on Your Own" basic transportation tour on the big bus so I am hoping there will still be tickets. I know it is overpriced, which is why I am hoping to just use OBC. Most of the other CC's posters on my roll call are not planning to go to Florence, but are planning other tours.

• 3 weeks later...
It is just the "Florence on Your Own" basic transportation tour on the big bus so I am hoping there will still be tickets. I know it is overpriced, which is why I am hoping to just use OBC. Most of the other CC's posters on my roll call are not planning to go to Florence, but are planning other tours.

If you want to see Florence from a cruise ship, IMO this is one of the times that it's best to pay for the "on your own" excursion. It's a long way back to the ship, and you never know whether traffic or strikes will cause major delays. On the ship's bus, they won't leave without you.

Once in Florence, you can accomplish about twice as much as the ship's guided tours. Book reservations for the Uffizi and the Academia online before you go. The only thing that is hard to DIY is the Duomo (because of the lines and no online reservation system).

Just go to Land Discoveries as soon as they open when you board. It should not be a problem unless it is a VERY popular tour.

Or book at 1:30 pm when you're allowed into your cabin. On the TV. This saves waiting in line at Land Discoveries.

we did it without buying the excursion. it was easy and convenient. Take the train from Livorno to Florence. We rode the ship shuttle to the train station. We asked the ship shuttle driver to let us off at the station. We were on our way to Florence. Bought tickets at the station. Be sure to punch your ticket in the yellow box before boarding the train. Trains are so frequent on that run that you do not need a schedule. We were in Florence in half the time that the ship excursion took. The Florence train station is close to everything. We had a fabulous time....and saved a lot of money. We were able to spend more time in Florence than if we had taken the ship excursion. If you qualify, ask for the senior discounted tickets which will save you even more money. You can check the prices on the web. Have a great time. You may want to look at a map before going to Florence. It helps if you have a plan. Museums are nice. Shopping for jewelry and leather goods is good. Enjoy!!!