Summary of winning bids on Priceline

dmk

I have a question about bidding Vancouver hotel on Priceline or Hotwire. Does the websites charge you or the hotel? I want to know will there any foreign transaction fee by credit card company if the hotel charge in CAD... :confused:

The website charges you. It used to be that you could only charge in USD, but now they offer multiple currencies. By my calcs, if you're booking in anything other than USD, they're taking about a 2% cut.

If the hotel charges for extras like daily resort fees or wifi, those will be charged in the domestic currency (CAD). Most credit cards take around 2.5%, which is not horrible.

You might find this Priceline article helpful if you're new to Priceline.

Just won the Crown Plazza San Pedro for $75 for our October cruise...

Congratulations!!! I have been bidding on Priceline for the same hotel for the past week with no luck. I started with $75, rejected, then bid $85, rejected, then 2 days ago bid $100 ....still rejected, so I have given up. I had luck last year bidding $75 for Crowne Plaza. Any tips you can give me on how to succeed?

Forgot to mention that we need the room for Sept. 26 as we are leaving on the Crown Princess the next day. I thought maybe I am bidding too early but from I've read on this board that is not the case. We land at Lax so am thinking of booking a hotel there thru Priceline. Can I go down from $100/nite to change area from San Pedro to Lax or must I bid higher than $100 even if it is a different area?

Forgot to mention that we need the room for Sept. 26 as we are leaving on the Crown Princess the next day. I thought maybe I am bidding too early but from I've read on this board that is not the case. We land at Lax so am thinking of booking a hotel there thru Priceline. Can I go down from $100/nite to change area from San Pedro to Lax or must I bid higher than $100 even if it is a different area?

You can lower when you pick a different area.

You can lower when you pick a different area.

Thanks for the advice. I bid $80 for hotel at LAX for Sept. 26 and still got rejected.:mad: I will try once more in two days and bid $95 and if that's rejected I give up. Maybe at this time of year you have to bid higher? Does anyone know how Hotwire works? Do you also bid on hotels? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Marion

I checked Priceline. There are 2 ways to do things. One is to bid.. which you have done with no luck. The other is where they show you hotels and a price. In this case the Crowne Plaza is $180. I think that they probably don't have a lot of rooms left and that is why you are being rejected. When I got the $75 bid the Crowne Plaza was showing about $150 (can't really remember though) if I just wanted to to book it on the part of Priceline with the hotel names and prices.

Hotwire works a little different. You don't bid. They tell you an area (such as LAX or San Pedro). After you pick it they show you hotels without the names. They list the price. You choose which one you want (they do tell you some of the amenities). After you have paid for it they then tell you your hotel's name. Looks like San Pedro only has a one star and a 2 star so not the Crowne Plaza. (You have to scroll down the long list til you see the star amount you want and also the area. Quickly looking I could not figure out how they order it).

If you want better than what is currently available in San Pedro you can try Long Beach. Just put in San Pedro and your nights and the list comes up with tons of areas including Long Beach. You can take a taxi over to the port . It might be closer than LAX.

Oh, almost forgot. After you click on an area and star level not only will it give you details about the hotel's amenities but it will also list about 6 different hotel chains that you might get.

I hope this helps you. Let us know what you did and got.

I checked Priceline. There are 2 ways to do things. One is to bid.. which you have done with no luck. The other is where they show you hotels and a price. In this case the Crowne Plaza is $180. I think that they probably don't have a lot of rooms left and that is why you are being rejected. When I got the $75 bid the Crowne Plaza was showing about $150 (can't really remember though) if I just wanted to to book it on the part of Priceline with the hotel names and prices.

Hotwire works a little different. You don't bid. They tell you an area (such as LAX or San Pedro). After you pick it they show you hotels without the names. They list the price. You choose which one you want (they do tell you some of the amenities). After you have paid for it they then tell you your hotel's name. Looks like San Pedro only has a one star and a 2 star so not the Crowne Plaza. (You have to scroll down the long list til you see the star amount you want and also the area. Quickly looking I could not figure out how they order it).

If you want better than what is currently available in San Pedro you can try Long Beach. Just put in San Pedro and your nights and the list comes up with tons of areas including Long Beach. You can take a taxi over to the port . It might be closer than LAX.

Oh, almost forgot. After you click on an area and star level not only will it give you details about the hotel's amenities but it will also list about 6 different hotel chains that you might get.

I hope this helps you. Let us know what you did and got.

Thank you for all your great advice. There is also the Doubletree in San Pedro which was listed for $135 under Express Deals on Priceline. Since we don't arrive in LAX til about 10 am, I figured we may as well stay at a hotel by LAX and take Supershuttle to San Pedro cruiseship terminal the next day. Will let you know how I make out.

I checked Priceline. There are 2 ways to do things. One is to bid.. which you have done with no luck. The other is where they show you hotels and a price.

Hotwire works a little different. You don't bid. They tell you an area (such as LAX or San Pedro). After you pick it they show you hotels without the names. They list the price.

Priceline offers a service pretty much identical to Hotwire now, its called "Express Deals". So if you're going to give Hotwire a try, might as well use Express Deals too. I am looking at a Vancouver hotel right now and its about $10 cheaper on Express Deals, and I'm pretty sure its the same hotel based on the lists at HotelDealsRevealed.com.

I generally don't use either site unless I'm saving 20% or so. Not worth the risk of not knowing what hotel and not being able to cancel, etc.

Not priceline, but posting this in case it can help someone.

I booked Best Western of Long Beach via Hotwire for $66 + $15.04 tax/fee - $10 email coupon = $71.04. I will probably park at the hotel during the cruise for an additional $12/night instead of at port for $17/night. Free shuttle to LA cruise terminal.

10/1/14 to 10/2/14

3* in Long Beach area

FULL AMENITIES: Free Parking, Free Breakfast, Free Internet, Pool(s), Business Center, Self service laundry, Internet access

I booked thinking it was the Residence Inn By Marriott Long Beach. Oh well.

I used to book priceline, but I didn't want to take my chances with the additional parking fee.

Edited by izmeeh

Not priceline, but posting this in case it can help someone.

I booked Best Western of Long Beach via Hotwire for $66 + $15.04 tax/fee - $10 email coupon = $71.04. I will probably park at the hotel during the cruise for an additional $12/night instead of at port for $17/night. Free shuttle to LA cruise terminal.

10/1/14 to 10/2/14

3* in Long Beach area

FULL AMENITIES: Free Parking, Free Breakfast, Free Internet, Pool(s), Business Center, Self service laundry, Internet access

I booked thinking it was the Residence Inn By Marriott Long Beach. Oh well.

I used to book priceline, but I didn't want to take my chances with the additional parking fee.

LA World cruise terminal in San Pedro is $12.00 per day to park. Not sure the $ for Long Beach terminal parking . Please correct me if I am wrong:eek:

• 5 weeks later...
Priceline (bid and won 10/13/14)

Jan 16, 2015

San Pedro 3* $75

Crowne PLaza

+$18.74 tax= $93.74 Total.

First and only bid.

Finally bit the bullet. Was going to stay LAX and use Princess Transfers.

Now that I just used Priceline,they send me a coupon (10% off) . Couldn't have given me one up front now, right? PM me if you want to try and use it. Book by 11/13/14.

2.5 star or better. Doesn't say if it's just for me or not?

Edited by familyoutdoors

We are looking into using Priceline for something in the LA area. We are doing one day post-cruise and trying to find something with some entertainment nearby (beach area to walk on, playground, great scenery, etc) for my husband myself and our four-year-old son. I'm very concerned with ending up in not the best area safety wise, any suggestions on areas and prices that may be accepted?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just got the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro for less than $90 including all taxes and fees from Hotwire. Book today and us the code happyjan which gives you $20 off $100. I'm a happy camper (actually sailor). Can't wait to begin our trip in Oct.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...