Your thoughts about the future of dining on Celebrity?

vulcan1971

Would you want "Dynamic Dining" to come to Celebrity?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want "Dynamic Dining" to come to Celebrity?

Recently, I have been doing some reading about how "Dynamic Dining" is supposed to work on board the RCI Quantum of the Seas. This got me to thinking about what kinds of changes one might expect to see on Celebrity ships.

I've included a link to a recent discussion from the RCI board just for some informative fun.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2117630

Just wondering what folks here would like to see change or improve over time? Do you think Celebrity will go the same way as RCI and implement a version of dynamic dining?

I do like how easy it is to navigate the RCI website and know that there are many problems/issues with the Celebrity website. However, with that said, I don't want this thread to spiral into a rant about the Celebrity website.

If your posts could focus on ideas and wishes about what you would like to see implemented or would improve your dining experience when you cruise with Celebrity.

Also, I included a poll at the top of this thread.

Edited by vulcan1971

The thread you linked to, links to this page from Royal:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/category.do?pagename=onboard_cat_dining_options

I had not heard about the change. Had to read the link from the Royal site for more info.

Of all our cruises, we have only ever done Traditional Dining, except for one try of my time dining on Princess. They were just rolling it out and it was awful. We had to wait every night for dinner.

When we cruised as a young couple, I enjoyed meeting the same table mates at dinner or at lunch. Now that we cruise as a family with two young kids, we request and/or are automatically assigned a table of four, which suits our needs now. But if we ever go back to cruising as a couple, I think I would want traditional seating and getting to know other couples.

I wonder if the dynamic dining makes every dining experience, "open seating"?

I quite like they way they do it on Disney. Your dining reservation rotates through one of 3 dining rooms. Each night you are in a new dining room with a new menu and new specialty. BUT, your dining team stays with you as do all the families at the neighbouring tables. You travel as a group.

This is our first cruise with X and after many years we are giving Select Dining a try again. But I think we will miss the experience of having a dedicated service team at dinner.

I'd have to give dynamic dining a chance. Perhaps I should book a cruise on Quantum :D

I have to curse you though for sending me by way of the Royal website. Now, I'm craving a kummelweck sandwich!!!!! Anything like that on X?

Edited by Queen of Oakville

I too hope that X dont follow RCI with Dynamic dining. However, I think traditional club dining is waining and could see the MDR become wholly Select dining over time. IMO Select works really well on X. We are just off Eclipse and had a table for two most nights but without fail we met and chatted to neighbouring tables and really enjoyed meeting a wide spectrum of people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Everyone,

I vote a huge NO to Dynamic Dining. It's not that I totally dislike the concept - but I absolutely feel that this is phase 1 of Royal Caribbean's plan, towards eventually eliminating most (if not all) complimentary dining options. I realize they will offer several complimentary options onboard Quantum & Anthem... but, the new format will allow them to make rapid changes.

While I'm concerned that Celebrity may consider similar changes, especially if this is well received on Quantum and Anthem... and I totally agree with Cruisestitch - I hope Celebrity will not follow RCCL's lead, and will strive to keep their product distinctly different than their sister brands.

In this particular case ? IMO, I'd be very careful what you wish for. Just my .02 cents.

Edited by Host Andy

Just read the info on Quantum Dynamic Dining which, though interesting, IMHO, requires far too many people to make far too many choices on a meal by meal basis, thereby leaving room for the possibility of far too many unknowns with which to deal. Hope RCI continues to maintain RCCL and X as two distinct brands and resists the urge to blur the line that separates the two.

Edited by lysolqn

Hi VULCAN1971,

I was reading up on QotS the other day, and was also struck by this exact same thought... Especially since Celebrity is adding another DR ( Suite Class ) to the mix... And it will no doubt be carved out of the MDR... Thereby being one more thing that erodes the concept of Traditional Dining

Mr Sloop & I are trying Aqua & Blu on our upcoming cruise... We are looking forward to seeing what all he fuss is about / trying something new

But if it doesn't WOW us, we will have no qualms about going back to Traditional Dining (Late Seating) in the MDR

We truly have come to enjoy MDR Traditional Dining... Has been a thing we look forward to (highlight) each day on a cruise as we meet new people (fellow Tablemates or Wait Staff) and get to know them... And genuinely form friendships "so how was your day? What did you guys do today?"

At first glance Dynamic Dining sounds interesting... But ya foresee issues... Like what if everyone wants to eat in one smaller venue at once (or more often than the rest). Long lines, making reservations, being disappointed that you cannot get in etc... Sounds like stress to me

I much prefer the fact that I go one place (the MDR) and the experience is dictated by that nights menu / atmosphere...

And not worrying so much about when or where I am going to eat

Lastly, like others I do worry that if good old DRs are replaced by Restaurants... Then this could be indeed a slippery slope... and the leap to extra charge Dining for anything but the Buffet could be on its way

That bothers me... A lot

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I like the current option of traditional and open seating. Celebrity has an image that I like.

I like choices and sail NCL and other lines because of that but sometimes you want traditional and that's when I want to go with Celebrity.

Take care,

Mike

We're not fans of Traditional Dining and if not in AQ, opt for Select. This works well for us. BUT, I know that there are a lot of people who prefer the traditional system and it would be a huge shame if this option was lost. Personally, I think X dining is just fine as it is, there is something for everyone. As they say 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

We much prefer Traditional Dining with set times and same waitstaff every night. Dynamic Dining, Freestyle Dining, whatever you want to call it, there will always be waits during busiest hours. Also, of course, totally against the elimination of formal nights. Royal Caribbean is now NCL2.

We much prefer Traditional Dining with set times and same waitstaff every night. Dynamic Dining, Freestyle Dining, whatever you want to call it, there will always be waits during busiest hours. Also, of course, totally against the elimination of formal nights. Royal Caribbean is now NCL2.

There will also be the added annoyance of being pressured to make reservations to get a preferred dining time. No more will people be able to not have to think about when and where to dine, and have to plan ahead, perhaps even days ahead, just to have dinner.

The traditional format is our favorite. We enjoy knowing when we will be dining every night, and with whom. For us, anticipating dinner is an enjoyable part of cruising, almost like looking forward to an event - which in a way it is.

It appears that RCI is trying harder each year to be more like NCL. This I see as a real disappointment.

Edited by boogs

I do not like to be tethered to a specific dining time and greatly enjoy select dining. I agree that RCCL's dynamic dining can stay on RCCL and that it would be an easy step from dynamic dining to for-fee restaurants leaving the buffet as the only free evening option.

Now if we could only get rid of formal nights! ;):D

I prefer the traditional MDR as I enjoy meeting new people at the table and also having the same wait staff, most of whom have been very friendly and make you feel almost like you are at a resort and get to know the staff, it's a warmer feeling. I also eat at the specialty about twice as I don't want to miss out getting to know my fellow passengers. Also, during 15 years, I have found the food and service in the MDRs of Celebrity to be really good considering its a cruise ship. I have cruised Celebrity regularly. The exception was last year on the Breakaway because it was a family get together and I didn't make the choice. It is a beautiful ship but the MDR was blah in both food and décor. We had different wait staff the few times we ate there. We did the freestyle as well as other "free" restaurants as well as specialty ones. The entire time I never felt close to any other cruisers except my family (and needed some time away from them!!) I can see those who prefer freestyle but as a somewhat structured person, I like Celebrity's schedule show before the late seating and after the early seating. On the Breakaway it was so different we had to get into a show 40 minutes ahead to get a seat. There were numerous arguments with people holding seats. In all my years I never saw that on Celebrity.

Princess tried this years ago with different restaurants and that did not work out. They finally got went back to Traditional and Anytime Dining. Don't know the size of the project restaurants. So, don't know how they will accommodate guests if a big percentage want a specific restaurant that evening. What happens to the restaurants that are not busy that night?

I believe that Celebrity will go the way of RCI since RCI is the Master and Celebrity is the slave. LOL

Edited by Oxo

Hi Everyone,

I vote a huge NO to Dynamic Dining.

What He said......

I have been following the Quantum board and also some other sites and while it's new and there are probably a lot of things to work out, I have been reading that many cruisers are unable to book the dates and times they want in each restaurant and it taking up to 2 hours on the phone or more to make reservations and they still cannot get it all done.

Now the number one reason we fell in love with cruising (besides being on the water) was that we did not have to worry about where/when we were going to dinner. We didn't need reservations, our table was waiting for us with staff who treated us like "celebrities."

Please do not bring dynamic dining to Celebrity. Heck I even want them to get rid of Select Dining and go back to totally traditional in the MDR. But that won't happen.

Edited by CruisingChick

I voted no, at least for now. Right now, 100% anytime dining, like on NCL, is associated with a casual atmosphere. And a casual atmosphere breeds outfits and hygiene that should never be in a dining facility. I hope that doesn't happen on RCI, and Celebrity is certainly no place for it. JMHO.

A definite NO to changes they call dynamic. Our dining experiences on Oasis were mostly poor. We had MDR..trad seating It was very impersonal with ho hum slow service and an uninspired menu.. The dinner in Govannis was good as to food but a cattle call in many respects , and in Chops the waiter tried to sell us wine aerators and a cookbook during a "dressy" family b-day dinner...classless. (best experience was the aft cafe that turns into a very nice restsurant in the evening)

Worst thing on Oasis was all res had to be booked ahead.... much more regimented than on Celebrity...the whole cruise experience was an overcrowded cattle call...and we were part of the herd for an entire week.

As it is on X now, I believe the dining experience is being diluted by too many choices....folks line up for select with or without res, folks in traditional losing staff to select...Previously, there was a line for doors to open for early or late seating...but then everything went along on a nice timetable.. I know they won't go back to set seating but it was a very workable plan for many years

. Right now cruisers have many choices with the select plan, traditional, various specialty dining plans, buffet and best of all for us BLU....and soon to come suite dining.......If they stick to this plan and privide enough staff and good service, no need to shake things up yet again!

Also, while we did enjoy our stay at an all inc resort....if you could not get a dining res for a given night at a sit down restaurant....your only choice was pizza or the buffet...hate to see Cekbrity default to thst system!

Edited by hcat

There will also be the added annoyance of being pressured to make reservations to get a preferred dining time. No more will people be able to not have to think about when and where to dine, and have to plan ahead, perhaps even days ahead, just to have dinner.

The traditional format is our favorite. We enjoy knowing when we will be dining every night, and with whom. For us, anticipating dinner is an enjoyable part of cruising, almost like looking forward to an event - which in a way it is.

It appears that RCI is trying harder each year to be more like NCL. This I see as a real disappointment.

Your first point is my major concern and for me a huge NEGATIVE (if anyone at corporate is reading) I would not say I would not sail, but I want a relaxing vacation and I do not want to have to book dinner each night and find that the time I want to go is booked and my choices are just after lunch or before midnight (maybe not that extreme :) thus requiring me to check around at other venues for current seating availability/accept different time slot/change other entertainment plans for evening/etc.

I love fixed dinning and table mates, but have the challenge of enjoying the Speciality restaurants on occasion which means we are absent from our table/tablemates. If they too choose to eat elsewhere, then it becomes a mixed bag for me and for them too I would think.

Maybe a choice of fixed dining for the whole cruise as an option.

Edited by shipshape sam

NO!

Keep it as it is.....I personally REALLY don't like traditional dining, but I know others do, so keep both options as they are!!

If more & more opt for "select" or "AQ(BLU)" or "Suite" then reduce the size of the MDR and accommodate those, but eliminating an option that many still like is not an answer..

Princess tried this years ago with different restaurants and that did not work out. They finally got went back to Traditional and Anytime Dining. Don't know the size of the project restaurants. So, don't know how they will accommodate guests if a big percentage want a specific restaurant that evening. What happens to the restaurants that are not busy that night?

I believe that Celebrity will go the way of RCI since RCI is the Master and Celebrity is the slave. LOL

When did Princess try this? Which ship/ships? :confused:

Maybe another cruise line?

LuLu

Recently, I have been doing some reading about how "Dynamic Dining" is supposed to work on board the RCI Quantum of the Seas. This got me to thinking about what kinds of changes one might expect to see on Celebrity ships.

I've included a link to a recent discussion from the RCI board just for some informative fun.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2117630

Just wondering what folks here would like to see change or improve over time? Do you think Celebrity will go the same way as RCI and implement a version of dynamic dining?

I do like how easy it is to navigate the RCI website and know that there are many problems/issues with the Celebrity website. However, with that said, I don't want this thread to spiral into a rant about the Celebrity website.

If your posts could focus on ideas and wishes about what you would like to see implemented or would improve your dining experience when you cruise with Celebrity.

Also, I included a poll at the top of this thread.

I too hope that Celebrity does not phase out Traditional Dining. If we are travelling as a couple we always request a large table because we look forward to the opportunity to meet new people and we enjoy getting to know our serving staff, and it is nice that they get to know us and what we like. We have tried the Select Dining, or Free Choice, on other cruise lines and it was fine when we were travelling with a group but when we were travelling as a couple we asked for a large table because we wanted to meet new people and we found that they would either put us at a large table by ourselves and take our order and bring our food and we would be eating when they would bring other people to join us...or they would take us to a large table where people were already eating....it did not work for us. So that is why our personal preference is the Traditional Dining.

There's going to be a tremendous impact on the Kitchen staff on RCL with this change. We took the "Ultimate Ship Tour" on Princess and it was very interesting to see how the galley is laid out with separate stations for every type of food. This enables them to maintain cleanliness standards (fish and meat never touch), and it also means that the assembly-line efficiency that allows them to feed hundreds of people at a time produces "a la minute" quality food. RCL's new series of many small restaurants means many small kitchen operations -- either they are going to raise staffing levels [hah!], or the quality of the food must go down.

Your first point is my major concern and for me a huge NEGATIVE (if anyone at corporate is reading) I would not say I would not sail, but I want a relaxing vacation and I do not want to have to book dinner each night and find that the time I want to go is booked and my choices are just after lunch or before midnight (maybe not that extreme :) thus requiring me to check around at other venues for current seating availability/accept different time slot/change other entertainment plans for evening/etc.

I love fixed dinning and table mates, but have the challenge of enjoying the Speciality restaurants on occasion which means we are absent from our table/tablemates. If they too choose to eat elsewhere, then it becomes a mixed bag for me and for them too I would think.

Maybe a choice of fixed dining for the whole cruise as an option.

I think that might be a good idea...I do recall one of our MDR experiences before we switched to BLU.......folks including us would be absent from the table sev nights fir specialty dining,,,..hardly saw each other at a table for 6-8.and dining staff had to keep track of who was coming or goingz!

Hi Everyone,

I vote a huge NO to Dynamic Dining. It's not that I totally dislike the concept - but I absolutely feel that this is phase 1 of Royal Caribbean's plan, towards eventually eliminating most (if not all) complimentary dining options. I realize they will offer several complimentary options onboard Quantum & Anthem... but, the new format will allow them to make rapid changes.

Hi, Andy. I just want to be clear on what you are saying. You mean that you worry some day that RCI and possibly Celebrity couldeventually eliminate complimentary dining options altogether? What a horrible idea if that happens! My goodness, we might as well just do land-based vacations.

One of the things I used to love about cruising is that everything except drinks used to be included. It seems as if those lovely days are rapidly becoming a thing of the past.:(