Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old September 28th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Question Birth Certificates/married name/maiden name

My mother and sister are first time cruisers and don't have a passport. They are boarding with their birth cert and photo ID (DL). Both have different married names now.

TA and a RCI rep told us that it is no problem, that port security understands that women get married and have different names from birth certificate.

Then tonight, I just read this on the FAQs
If you are a woman using your married name, sometimes they ask for your marriage certificate with your birth certificate, sometimes they don't. No one knows why. See above.

and now I'm freaking!

What's the deal with this?!

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
Star Princess-1/05
Grandeur of the Seas 9/30/07
Grandeur of the Seas 10/11/13!!!!

Old September 28th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

If they don't have passports I would strongly suggest they take along proof of the name change (i.e. the marriage certificate).

I find that all types of security tend to have times when they weaken the rules and other times where they are extra cautious. It's best for people to prepare for the times when they are extra cautious to avoid any problems.

Old September 28th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

It's called a bridge document in that it forms a bridge between your proof of citizenship (bc) and your proof of identity (dl). Technically you need to bring it. Will you most likely be in the 99% of women who are never asked to show it? Most likely; however, don't take the chance.

Every time this subject comes up on the boards, people respond that you don't need it because they personally weren't asked for it. They'll insist that it's not necessary. All I can tell you is that each year, I have a handful of clients who are asked to produce the bridge document at the pier in order to board the ship. So far, all of my clients that have been asked to produce the documentation have it as I really stress it. I go so far as to tell clients that all their friends/family/online buddies will probably tell them that I'm crazy and don't know what I'm talking about because they don't need it, but they do.

Sorry, I don't think this is the answer you want to hear. Unfortunately, you do need the bridge document just in case. The other option is to play the odds--I strongly recommend not going that route if at all possible.

Old September 28th, 2007, 02:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

I've always used a birth certificate & of course my ID has my married name (so they are differnt of course) never had a problem

Carnival Fantasy --- March 1996
Carnival Holiday --- March 2002
RCI Enchantment of the Seas --- Sept 2004
RCI Mariner of the Seas --- April 2006
Carnival Destiny --- May 2007
RCI Majesty of the Seas --- Oct 2007
Princess Dawn --- April 2008
Norwegian Sky --- May 2009
Carnival Fantasy --- Nov 2009
Princess Sapphire --- Aug 2010
Carnival Freedom --- May 2012
Carnival Breeze --- May 2014
Carnival Fascination --- July 2014
RCI Oasis --- May 2015

Old September 28th, 2007, 06:58 AM
10,000+ Club

I was asked for a bridge document once, at the Port of New York, by immigration/customs agent upon returning from a cruise (not RCI upon boarding). I was happy that I had my marriage licence with me.

If you are traveling with children, your maiden name is on their birth certificate, along with your husband's name. Sometimes agents compare this to your birth certificate, and the children's BC serves as the bridge document. This may be why many people aren't asked for a marriage licence.

116 nights at sea (58 with RCI):
Celebrity Summit (7 nights NJ to Bermuda) 8/17/14
Celebrity Summit (7 nights NJ to Bermuda) 8/25/13
RCCL Jewel of the Seas (7 days Southern - Barbados route) 5/25/13
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (9 days NJ to Bermuda, Labadee, San Juan and St Maarten) 5/24/12
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (NJ to Bahamas - New Years cruise) 12/30/11
RCCL Allure of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) 8/21/11
Caribbean Princess (9 days NY to Bermuda, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk) 7/29/10 REVIEW
Caribbean Princess (Canada/New England) 8/24/08 REVIEW
RCCL Mariner of the Seas (Western Caribbean) 8/26/07 REVIEW
RCCL Mariner of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) 8/20/06
Carnival Miracle (NY to Bahamas) 6/26/04 REVIEW
RCCL Adventure of the Seas (Southern - Aruba route) 8/24/03
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (Western Caribbean) 8/17/02
Costa Riviera (Western Caribbean) 5/90
Cunard Countess (Southern Caribbean) 6/89
Home Lines Atlantic (NY to Bermuda) 7/88

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 28th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

I would HIGHLY recommend taking your marriage certificate if your ID's don't match. I wouldn't take that chance. Since I got married I have been asked for it.

Old September 28th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

I usually go out of Port Canaveral and have never been asked for my marriage license but now it makes me wonder after reading this post. I guess I need to look for my marriage license and take it along just in case.
Monarch of the Seas 1/10/11
Sovereign of the Seas 10/29/07
Carnival Fantasy 9/25/06
Carnival Miracle cruise 10/30/05
HAL Zaandam 10/25/03

Old September 28th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

I always carried our marriage certificate in case they asked for it, although they never did. Another one of the reasons I like having a passport now!
Past cruises: Liberty of the Seas - Feb 2013 - Freedom of the Seas - Oct 2009, Sept 2011 - Mariner of the Seas - Oct 2008, Nov 2007,Dec 2006 Oct 2005, Jun 2004 - Voyager of the Seas - Dec 2003 - Sovereign of the Seas - Sep 2002

Old September 28th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

My wife and I cruised twice before we got our passports. On one of those cruises she was aked for the marriage certificate to prove the name change. So, YES, it does happen! Make sure they bring the certificate along.

Old September 28th, 2007, 09:26 AM
10,000+ Club

We've always had passports while cruising but on a trip someplace...i forget where, but my mom had both and was asked for both...so save yourself the grief with the CL or ICE and have it!!!

enjoy your trip

Cape Liberty Info blog
Meg's YouTube Videos

Cape Liberty Area Hotel Photos

Click ship names below to go to albums!

My Cruise History:
Explorer of the Seas x12, Freedom x 1, Serenade x2, Summit x3, Jewel x1, Adventure, x1, Grandeur x2, Navigator x1, Enchantment, x4, CCL Pride x2, CCL Miracle x1
218 Total Nights At Sea!
illegitmi non carborundum kmt

Old September 28th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Definitely have them bring their marriage certificates--I didn't have a passport on our first cruise and did have to show mine.

Old September 28th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Jenny,

Is there time for them to obtain passports? That would be the best option if there is time. I understand the government has finally caught up with the backlog and the wait time is again reasonable.

Old September 28th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

We sail on Sunday! I will tell them to bring their marriage licenses if they can.

What if they can't find the certificates? Will they be refused passage? We are sailing from Baltimore to Bermuda and back. They have all kinds of ID in addition to BC and DL?

When we made the reservations months ago, I called RCI and asked them about this, and they said "no problem" They shouldn't have said that!

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
Star Princess-1/05
Grandeur of the Seas 9/30/07
Grandeur of the Seas 10/11/13!!!!

Old September 28th, 2007, 09:49 AM
20,000+ Club

Before we got our passports we sailed solely with BC and DL, I always brought my marriage license but was never once asked for it. So it is not a given that they will. A couple of times was after 9/11 when the security was tightened. They look at the birthdate on your license, the first and middle name etc. I doubt they will have a problem.

Old September 28th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennymcc View Post
We sail on Sunday! I will tell them to bring their marriage licenses if they can.

What if they can't find the certificates? Will they be refused passage? We are sailing from Baltimore to Bermuda and back. They have all kinds of ID in addition to BC and DL?

When we made the reservations months ago, I called RCI and asked them about this, and they said "no problem" They shouldn't have said that!
I have a more complicated situation . I've been divorced and remarried. So on every cruise I bring both marriage certificates plus my divorce decree. They have never been asked for these documents. I just give them my BC and drivers license. Never a question. So i wouldn't worry too much. If you look on the RCCL web site they do not state you must bring your marriage certificate. Just your bc and license. so don't worry.

Up Coming Cruises
March 20,2011 - Explorer AFT Balcony - 11 night

Past Cruises

Oct 2009 - Explorer Balcony
Jan 2008 - Explorer AFT Family Suite
Sept 2006 - Explorer Aft Balcony
Sept 2005 - Voyager Grand suite
May 2001 - Empress Ocean View

Old September 28th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

My passport is in my maiden name, so I carry it and my marriage license. I *was* asked for the license on Disney a few years ago.

Radiance of the Seas - Alaska - June 12, 2015 / Mayor's Midnight Sun Half Marathon
Mariner of the Seas - Western Caribbean - March 17, 2013 / Seabrook Half Marathon
Carnival Pride - Mexican Riviera - Sept. 21, 2008
Jewel of the Seas - January 20, 2008 - son's first
Sovereign - June '02 - honeymoon and hubby's first
Husband- and Child-less Cruises:
Sun Viking, Alaska, '91 ~ Big Red Boat, Bahamas, '93 ~ Fascination, Canada, '94 ~ Sovereign, Bahamas '96 ~ Rhapsody, Alaska, '97 ~ Nordic Empress, Bahamas, '98 ~ Sovereign, Bahamas '02 ~ Disney Magic, Bahamas, '03

Old September 28th, 2007, 01:33 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennymcc View Post
My mother and sister are first time cruisers and don't have a passport. They are boarding with their birth cert and photo ID (DL). Both have different married names now.

TA and a RCI rep told us that it is no problem, that port security understands that women get married and have different names from birth certificate.

Then tonight, I just read this on the FAQs
If you are a woman using your married name, sometimes they ask for your marriage certificate with your birth certificate, sometimes they don't. No one knows why. See above.

and now I'm freaking!

What's the deal with this?!
It's not a cruise line requirement, it's customs and immigration upon return. So, RCI may say don't worry about it, and they may check you in without a problem. But when the cruise is over, you'll be dealing with the US government, who might require more than RCI did.

Still, I wouldn't panic if they don't have it. It's improbable that they will be asked. (I have my original SS card, which is issued in my maiden name, as well as the new card that has my married name - the SS number is the same. Myabe they have something similar that can be compared to the photo ID and the BC to link the names.

116 nights at sea (58 with RCI):
Celebrity Summit (7 nights NJ to Bermuda) 8/17/14
Celebrity Summit (7 nights NJ to Bermuda) 8/25/13
RCCL Jewel of the Seas (7 days Southern - Barbados route) 5/25/13
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (9 days NJ to Bermuda, Labadee, San Juan and St Maarten) 5/24/12
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (NJ to Bahamas - New Years cruise) 12/30/11
RCCL Allure of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) 8/21/11
Caribbean Princess (9 days NY to Bermuda, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk) 7/29/10 REVIEW
Caribbean Princess (Canada/New England) 8/24/08 REVIEW
RCCL Mariner of the Seas (Western Caribbean) 8/26/07 REVIEW
RCCL Mariner of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) 8/20/06
Carnival Miracle (NY to Bahamas) 6/26/04 REVIEW
RCCL Adventure of the Seas (Southern - Aruba route) 8/24/03
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (Western Caribbean) 8/17/02
Costa Riviera (Western Caribbean) 5/90
Cunard Countess (Southern Caribbean) 6/89
Home Lines Atlantic (NY to Bermuda) 7/88

Old September 28th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

I got married almost a year ago, and with all the scare going on this past summer about passports not being delivered in time, I opted to wait and change my name on the passport until after I got back from our planned cruise. I didn't want to risk sending in my original forms and not have anything back the day of our cruise since some people had been waiting for 3-4 months.

I called RC and our TA and asked their opinion and both suggested to change the name on the reservation to my maiden name (matces my passport) for travel to eliminate any problems such as forgetting the marriage certificate and original birth certificate.

You could do that unless the tickets have already been printed and sent, otherwise FOR SURE take your marriage certificate, BC, anything you can think of! I needed every form you could think of on my last Princess cruise.

Happy Cruising!!!!

Old September 28th, 2007, 02:21 PM
10,000+ Club

In 7 cruises I have never been asked. I stopped carrying my marriage license about 2 cruises ago.

There was just a lengthy discussion on the Carnival board about this and it seems like it is a request from some overzealous custom workers saying it's an issue of homeland security.

If you can find it, take it if you are worried about it.

RCI Allure of the Seas 5/4/14
Norwegian Getaway PreInaugural 1/27/14
NCL Breakaway PreInaugural 5/8/13
NCL EPIC 11/24/12 - Ewes Baby!
RCI Enchantment 8/3/12 - Addicted to BERMUDA!
NCL Gem 10/2/11 - Back to Bermuda!
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 - Bermuda
RCI Grandeur of the Seas 9/11/10
Carnival Triumph 6/7/09
RCI Independence of the Seas 2/1/09
Disney Wonder 09/11/08
Carnival Sensation 08/07
RCI Freedom of the Seas 5/07
Carnival Elation 11/06
Disney Magic 2/05
NCL Norway 6/02
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/98
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/97
Kids club schedules and children's menus including RCCL Adventure Ocean, Camp Carnival,
Disney, NCL, Princess, HAL and Celebrity posted here....
http://photobucket.com/cruisekidpages

Old September 28th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Why take a chance? 500 people may post here that they have never been asked for it, but what if you are that 1 unlucky person? Are you going to put your cruise in the hands of some customs or immigration official???? I know I wouldn't. I would take all the documents I could, or either get my passport in my current name. The price of a new passport is miniscule compared to being turned away at the port- which is not covered by travel insurance. There are too many reports of overzealous (or hardheaded) officials out there for me to take a chance.

Sovereign of the Seas—July 2000
Grandeur of the Seas—March 2003
Adventure of the Seas—Feb 2004
Mariner of the Seas—May 2005
Rhapsody of the Seas—April 2006
Freedom of the Seas—Feb 2007
Voyager of the Seas—March 2008
Adventure of the Seas- August 2008
Serenade of the Seas- May 2011
Voyager of the Seas- March 2012