Barcelona hotel post cruise - safe area??

Deemuch

Looking for a hotel in Barcelona post cruise for 3 days -staying Oct 13th - 16th. We would like a good safe area with reasonable rate. ( We are 2 women, mother/daughter in our 40's & 60's and are not interested in nightclubs or nightlife BUT would like to be able to walk around in the early evening and feel safe, so good area is important. Hotel doesn't have to be fancy as long as it is comfortable & clean and provides the basics. Was thinking somewhere between $100 - $150 U.S a night would be in our budget.

Looked on hotwire.com & they have some good deals...BUT without knowing the hotel name, was not sure if that would be a risk. 4 star Hotels in the South Las Ramblas is being offered for $125/night but was concerned that we could get a hotel in an "undesired" area as I had read there is a red light district in the south area? So without knowing what hotel, I'm not sure the special "reduced" price is worth the risk of ending up somewhere not ideal.

I have done lots of research and still unable to make a decision. Want to be within walking distance of the must see places, but "safe" walking distance.

I would find a good review for a hotel, do some searches only to find out while the hotel itself is a very nice hotel - the complaints were that it was not located on a street that felt safe walking- riff raff, or streetwalkers on the corner down the street, homeless people in the park located down the street etc...so it just makes it all the more confusing as to where exactly is a good choice?

IF anyone has experience staying at hotel in Barcelona and can make a suggestion....it would be REALLY be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

We have stayed twice at the Hotel Regencia Colon in that price range. It is a no-frills basic hotel with not too many luxuries. But it is clean and has a safe feeling. The rooms are smallish, but so are rooms in most European hotels. It is centrally located near the Cathedral and a short walk to La Rambla and Placa Catalunya and other sites. There are always people in the area, so I don't think safety would be an issue.

We have stayed twice at the Hotel Regencia Colon in that price range. It is a no-frills basic hotel with not too many luxuries. But it is clean and has a safe feeling. The rooms are smallish, but so are rooms in most European hotels. It is centrally located near the Cathedral and a short walk to La Rambla and Placa Catalunya and other sites. There are always people in the area, so I don't think safety would be an issue.

+1 on the Regencia Colon. We felt quite safe in that area.

I am a 50 year old woman who traveled solo to Barcelona, so I would like to address your safety concerns: Don't worry about your personal safety, at any time. Pickpockets are common, though I didn't have a problem and didn't see any, but Barcelona is well known as one of the worst places for pickpockets in the world........BUT it is not a place where personal (violent) crime is common. I did not see or sense any personal safety concerns (muggings or assaults) - didn't even see any leering or threatening. Be safe regarding pickpockets anywhere in Barcelona (wear your bag across your chest messenger-style with zippers against your body, be aware of distracting situations, don't leave your camera or purse on a tabletop, for instance), but don't overly worry about your personal safety - no more than you would at home. The metro system is also very easy to use, and safe, as well.

I stayed at Hotel 1898 in Barcelona which was wonderful and I highly recommend it, but it's over your stated budget.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.

I was going to book the Regencia Colon Hotel which was recommended by a few on nhere....but then I ended up taking a chance & going with hotwire. Regencia is stated as a 3 star, got varying prices from $168 average a night to travelocity who had sale for $149 a night. Hotwire was offering a 4 star hotel in the Las Ramblas North area for $125 a night....which seemed like a really good deal. Better accomodations for less? So I took the chance & crossed my fingers :)

I ended up with this hotel. NH Podium - seems like 10 min walk from Las Ramblas? Hopefully in a good area...? If anyone has stayed here or has any info, would love to hear. THANKS

http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details.html?hotelId=130069&destinationId=444495&tab=DESCRIPTION&page=1&validate=true&previousDateful=false&arrivalDate=10%2F13%2F2012&departureDate=10%2F16%2F2012&roomno=1&rooms[0].numberOfAdults=2&children[0]=0#guest_rooms

Thanks again for all those who took the time to reply. It was much appreciated :)

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.

I was going to book the Regencia Colon Hotel which was recommended by a few on nhere....but then I ended up taking a chance & going with hotwire. Regencia is stated as a 3 star, got varying prices from $168 average a night to travelocity who had sale for $149 a night. Hotwire was offering a 4 star hotel in the Las Ramblas North area for $125 a night....which seemed like a really good deal. Better accomodations for less? So I took the chance & crossed my fingers :)

I ended up with this hotel. NH Podium - seems like 10 min walk from Las Ramblas? Hopefully in a good area...? If anyone has stayed here or has any info, would love to hear. THANKS

http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details.html?hotelId=130069&destinationId=444495&tab=DESCRIPTION&page=1&validate=true&previousDateful=false&arrivalDate=10%2F13%2F2012&departureDate=10%2F16%2F2012&roomno=1&rooms[0].numberOfAdults=2&children[0]=0#guest_rooms

Thanks again for all those who took the time to reply. It was much appreciated :)

Here are some reviews from Trip Advisor - sounds pretty nice!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187497-d206920-Reviews-NH_Podium-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

Has anyone stayed at the Renaissance Barcelona Hotel Airport? Their prices seem reasonable and they pick up from the port. We are looking for a hotel for 3 nights post cruise.

I would not advise staying at an airport hotel for 3 nights. You are likely to spend all your time going to and from the city so any money you might save on the hotel would be spent on transport. Also, as in most cities, the airport hotels are pretty characterless.

I think you might feel frustrated to be away from the city.

I see from my other thread that you have been looking at my list of hotels. If you don't want to be right in the centre near Las Ramblas etc there are lots of areas you can choose.

If this is the case I would look at hotels close to metro stations. I would also look at a metro map (you can see one here http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/maps/barcelona-metro-map.html) and see which stations are on a direct route to places you want to visit.

When are you going? Have you thought about being near the beach area? Don't place too much on the hotel picking you up from the port. Taxis are plentiful and not too expensive from the port to your hotel and then from your hotel to the airport.

Has anyone stayed at the Renaissance Barcelona Hotel Airport? Their prices seem reasonable and they pick up from the port. We are looking for a hotel for 3 nights post cruise.

I stayed there one night post-cruise and I would never stay there more than one night - if that. There is absolutely nothing around it - it's in an industrial area, so all meals are in the hotel restaurant or you could take a shuttle and eat at the airport. You want to be able to step onto the streets of Barcelona. There are plenty of cabs when you exit the ship - there's no need for hotel transportation.

Best,

Mia

We stayed there last October, 2 nights pre-cruise. Nice hotel with good service. There's an ATM right across the street, a small number of other shops, but not much else. It's pretty much of an commercial/industrial area. We had the package that includes breakfast and the shuttle to the port.

We chose this hotel because it's in our comfort zone (Marriott - all rooms non-smoking), could use loyalty points, and it had the free airport shuttle. However, I believe Carol (2 posts above) has a valid point. We did spend a good amount of time and money on taxi's to downtown. The hotel does provide a free shuttle to Las Ramblas, but the times didn't work for us - latest return to hotel for the free shuttle was 5:45pm. The next shuttle back to the hotel was 10:15pm, and that one was not free, cost was something like 5 euro per person. Since we had 4 people in our group, a taxi was the same ballpark cost, so we never used the hotel shuttle. For 2 people, the hotel shuttle would be cheaper than a taxi, but you would be stuck with a specific time.

We're going to Barcelona again next year, and plan to look for a hotel near Las Ramblas this time.

Bob

Personally I think the Passeig Gracia area is far superior to Las Ramblas. Lots of nice cafes, restaurants and shops around but not all the hassle of pickpockets and scam artist you get in Las Ramblas. You can still walk to Las Ramblas from there, just down the road and across the Placa Catalunya.

I'm comfortable strolling purposefully down Las Ramblas during the day, but I'd think twice about wandering around there in the evening.

Archived