1st time cruising out of Houston -what to do

compozer

Just booked a holiday cruise on the Emerald out of Houston. Planning to go two days early but have no idea what to do there or where to stay. Still checking flights so not sure yet which airport we will be flying into.

Haven't paid that much attention to cruises out of there but from what I have read, Princess has only been using this port since last fall and have had lots of fog issues - that doesn't bother us - spent three days tied up to a pier during Hurricane Sandy.

I was also wondering if one or both airports also have issues with delays because of the fog.

Any information you could share would be greatly appreciated.

The airports will have less of a problem with fog than the port. December is risky for fog and their is a chance your boarding and departure (and arrival) could be delayed. Since you are arriving a couple of days early, your biggest risk would be missing a flight if your arrival is delayed by fog.

Last year was particularly bad for fog out of Galveston and Houston, so hopefully this year will be better. I hope so as we are sailing out of Houston on 12/14/2014.

I prefer IAH(north Houston) since I fly United

Hou(South Houston) is mostly Southwest

Hou is closer to the port

I would say rent a car from the airport

Explore Galveston Island for a day and at night Moody gardens has a great Xmas light display

Another day could be Johnson space center/NASA

and return the car at the closest rental car place near the Bayport terminal

Thanks jonbgd,

I wasn't sure if a rental car was a good idea or not. Good suggestions. Our 35 year old son will be joining us so I need to make a list of suggestions and talk it over with them.

ssb,

The cruise is out of Bayport so I just figured Houston. I really have no idea where I want to stay. I'm the one that plans our trips - my husband is of no help. And all my son wants to go for is to go diving in the ports. So it is all on me. We do need to find a place to purchase some caffeine free and wine to take on board.

splusd,

thanks for the info on the airports. Figured it wouldn't be as bad. We had such a cold spring that we had fog almost everyday in June at the marina where we keep our boat but five miles inland it was clear.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks jonbgd,

I wasn't sure if a rental car was a good idea or not. Good suggestions. Our 35 year old son will be joining us so I need to make a list of suggestions and talk it over with them.

ssb,

The cruise is out of Bayport so I just figured Houston. I really have no idea where I want to stay. I'm the one that plans our trips - my husband is of no help. And all my son wants to go for is to go diving in the ports. So it is all on me. We do need to find a place to purchase some caffeine free and wine to take on board.

splusd,

thanks for the info on the airports. Figured it wouldn't be as bad. We had such a cold spring that we had fog almost everyday in June at the marina where we keep our boat but five miles inland it was clear.

Appreciate your help.

What do you like to do when you travel .

Then we can help as to what to do.

And where to stay?

Edited by ssb

Thanks jonbgd,

ssb,

splusd,

Appreciate your help.

The terminal labeled "Bayport Terminal" is not in Bayport, it's in Pasadena Texas. To further confuse visitors, the cruise lines refer to it as being in Houston. :rolleyes:

http://www.portofhouston.com/cruise-information/parking/

http://www.portofhouston.com/cruise-information/driving-directions/

https://www.google.com/maps?t=h&ll=29.6103196,-94.9925922&spn=0.002689,0.0041238&output=classic

Edited by Stevesan

Stevesan,

Thanks for the links. I did see the first two when I searched but hadn't seen the map. Love those google maps. Sorry, I should have said Bayport terminal - I know it isn't a city. Yes, this is confusing. Have been cruising out of FLL for so many years - so convenient. Always hate the first time at a new port.

ssb,

Thanks for trying to help me ssb. Gee - what do we like to do?? relax, enjoy the sun and warm weather, especially after the winter we had last year. We are boaters and love wondering around marinas. My son and I love scuba diving - we are on a dive trip right now. On the way home Sunday I will have a talk with them and see if they have any ideas what they want to see. Normally we just play it by ear but we have never been to Houston.

Thanks again.

No diving in the galveston area.

Bayport terminal is close to the Kemah boardwalk and also clear lake (webster) with the Johnson space center.

Are you kidding?

See http://flowergarden.noaa.gov

Consider diving here just off the coast from Galveston!!!

Picture yourself over 100 miles from land, in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. At times, the seas can be very unforgiving, and the weather can turn foul in an instant. But here, in the midst of this unpredictable Gulf, lie three of the most beautiful and wild places in all the world. Manta rays, whale sharks, coral heads bigger than cars, hundreds of species of fish and invertebrates... This place teems with life!

Also

See http://www.galvestonnaturetourism.org/about.asp

Edited by ssb

Are you kidding?

Picture yourself over 100 miles from land, in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. At times, the seas can be very unforgiving, and the weather can turn foul in an instant. But here, in the midst of this unpredictable Gulf, lie three of the most beautiful and wild places in all the world. Manta rays, whale sharks, coral heads bigger than cars, hundreds of species of fish and invertebrates... This place teems with life!

Also

----------------------------------------------------------------

Along the nature and history theme of things to do in Galveston

32 miles of Gulf of Mexico beach front

Galveston Nature and Tourism Council

Kayaking trails

Birding - Feather Fest - Large

NOAA Turtle Rescue Farm

Moody Gardens (massive family tourist park) moodygardens.com

Hotel and Convention Center

Holiday Festival of Lights

Aquarium and Penguins' Rainforest Nature's 3D Films (many) Mississippi Paddleboat

Many Events

Many Special Exhibits

Schlitterbahn - an indoor outdoor year around water park

Galveston Historical Foundaton (galvestonhistory.org)

East End and Downtown Historic Tour

Bishops Palace

Dolphin, Port and Concrete Ship Tour

Seaport Museum

Tall Ship Elissa

Ike Tree Sculptures Tour

Short Films on Galveston

Immigration, 1900 Storm and Jean Lafitte

1894 Grand Opera House Tour and Theater Events - thegrand.org

Moody Mansion Tour - moodymansion.org

Airplane Museum (Lone Star Flight Museum)- www.lsfm.org/

Railroad Museum - http://www.galvestonrrmuseum.com Oil Drilling Rig Museum - www.oceanstaroec.com

Sea Wolf Park – WWII submarine and destroyer - www.cavalla.org

Edited by ssb

Are you kidding?

Also

Its a long ride out to the flower gardens. If they only have a couple days they would not have enough time to go out there for a dive trip. Plus, do they still even have the live aboard from Freeport that goes out there? I did it once and thought it was a tad pricey for the whole trip. (and not nearly as nice as other live a boards)

Its a long ride out to the flower gardens. If they only have a couple days they would not have enough time to go out there for a dive trip. Plus, do they still even have the live aboard from Freeport that goes out there? I did it once and thought it was a tad pricey for the whole trip. (and not nearly as nice as other live a boards)

Dave thanks for input

I have not done trip!

We are celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary next Aug 2015! We're taking the Magic out of Galveston on the 9th, however we're going to fly in a few days earlier and spend 2 days at JSC! which we're very excited about! Most likely we'll stay at the Drury INN at Houston Hobby. (a side note about the Drury--they offer full breakfast in the mornings and a 5:30 kickback in the evenings. the kickback isn't great but its included in your hotel costs so is the breakfast for that matter. we stayed at a Drury in Colo Springs. not the greatest or fanciest but a good price for a nice bed and good food. it's worth it) We can rent a car from Hobby and return it back to hobby and take the cruise shuttle day of cruise. (as per Carnival) you can "fake" a flight cruise day if you fly in earlier so you can still take the shuttle on cruise day. since there are only 2 of us this seems to be most economical way to do it. We thought about staying in Texas City and taking a cab cruise day but we would have had to return the car by 2pm on Saturday or after 10:30am on Sunday and it would have cost more. They will start the shuttle service around 10am per Carnival rep I talked to. Have a great cruise!

Edited by karessamom