Tipping on Excursions

The three of us will be taking three excursions.

*First, in Port Canaveral to the Everglades on an airboat.

**Second, to Atlantis for the dolphin encounter.

***Third, to snorkel in CocoCay.

As it's our first cruise, and I didn't want to worry about anything so I popped for the trips booked through RCI cruiseline.

What kind of tip should we consider giving for these excursions?

Edited by TheDivineMrsM

For me,,, it really depends.

Is there a bus driver AND a tour guide? or only a tour guide?

Bus driver? a couple of bucks for my group of 2 or 3 people.

Tour guide? Depends on the tour guide.

First, did they whine and cry during the tour about tipping? If so, there's a deduction

Second, did they just do their job and with no enthusiaism? If so, there's another deduction.

Third, Did they make the excursion enjoyable, provide information, upbeat attitude? There's the money maker.

So, driver,,, $2 -$3 total each excursion

Tour guide,,, base would be $5 per person. Could be as low as nada for items 1 and 2. Could be as high as $50 for all 3 of us if item 3 is involved for each excursion

The first, in Port Canaveral to the Everglades on an airboat.

Second, to Atlantis for the dolphin encounter.

Third, to snorkel in CocoCay.

As it's our first cruise, and I didn't want to worry about anything so I popped for the trips booked through RCI cruiseline.

IMHO it would depend on the level of the service received, the attitude of the tour guides, etc... as to how much I would tip. We had a great tour guide in Cozumel and we tipped generously. Conversely we had a terrible one in Grand Cayman (rude, short with his answers, very abrupt) that we did not tip as generously as we would have if he had been more pleasant.

I am not sure that there is an established tipping scale or rules for excursions like what you would see for restaurants or a porter, but when I have cruised in the past I have typically budgeted $15-20 PP depending on the tour, the cost, and what all is involved.

Hope you have a great time!

If a guide and bus driver, we typically give $2.00 to driver and $5.00 for guide per couple- Varies depending upon the level of service- Have had wonderful tour guides on long tours and have given more. Some people give nothing. But to each his own-

My rule is $5/pp for half day adjusted (up or down )as I feel fit. Some folks will not tip at all.

There is no "guideline" for tipping on excursions. If you feel you got a great experience for your money, then tip what you feel it's worth. If your "excursion" is simply transportation, you've paid for that....I don't see a need to tip in that case.

We've had guides that really enhance our day..and we've had guides who go through the motions and that's about it....

We tip for a great experience! It's really up to you!

Yes, isn't it amazing how a really good tour guide takes the experience to the next level? In our travels, we have most often had reasonably good tour guides. Taking a grey line tour through upper New York City, you'd have thought the tour guide was the city's mayor, he was simply wonderful. And guide from Vegas to Grand Canyon terric as well.

I get that not all guides have that gift to bring a tour to life. Still, we generally always tip and are inclined to give a bit more if we thought the guide went above the norm.

What about that Atlantis dolphin encounter? There are gonna be a few people helping us. Maybe they have a tip jar?

Edited by TheDivineMrsM

FYI: Coco Cay is RC's private island. No need for cash IIRC except to buy souvenirs at the market. Everything else is done with your seapass card.

All the snorkel "excursion" entails is a guy giving you snorkel equipment and telling you how to use it. Then you are on your own. So no need to tip there.

I have always wondered this as well. When we had a tour guide that had no personality, wasn't really personable, and just seemed like they wished they weren't there, we have given nothing. But if it's an entertaining, knowledge sharing tour guide, we will give $5 to $10 for both of us. Same goes with the bus driver, a couple of dollars each.

I just went by gut and wasn't sure what was sort of customary.

Not to pick nits but you're not going to the Everglades from Port Canaveral, you're going into the St. John's river basin. It's a great excursion, airboat rides are a blast but I don't want you to be disappointed that you're not in the Everglades.

If it makes you feel better, I've been through this topic before and just to let you know, the excursion is billed on RCIs website as "Central Florida Everglades". Tomato, tomahto, I am not from Florida so I shall enjoy learning and seeing the geography and the region.

Edited by TheDivineMrsM

If it makes you feel better, I've been through this topic before and just to let you know, the excursion is billed on RCIs website as "Central Florida Everglades". Tomato, tomahto, I am not from Florida so I shall enjoy learning and seeing the geography and the region.

Sounds like RCI could use a map and a geography lesson. :cool: Just trying to give you correct info, my bad.

We live five blocks from the Ohio River. DH and DS are fisherman. I think we'll find the excursion interesting at the very least and plan to enjoy the adventure comparing where we live to another part of the good old USA.

If they are really into fishing you should go to 10,000 islands in the Everglades when you get a chance. Some of the best fishing in the US, especially snook when they are in season.

My rule is $5/pp for half day adjusted (up or down )as I feel fit. Some folks will not tip at all.

Yikes! Emily Post recommends 15% of the price you pay as a tip for a Day Tour Tour Guide.

Here's my current experience as a Tour Guide in Niagara Falls. On average, people tip about 10% of the listed price of the tour. Almost everyone tips something. I take about 120 people a week on tour with me; I have people walk off with no tip only once or twice a week.

Remember, just like a waiter in a restaurant, tour guides are paid less than minimum wage because it is expected that they will earn a fair income through their tips.

Yeah, the thing is, I feel better about myself when I tip. I don't have to tip big. But reasonable.

We took a tour recently of the Coca Cola Museum in Atlanta, Georgia. We paid a little extra for the VIP tour and the guide was terrific. When we went to tip her at the end, she refused to take it. I figure it must be the museum's policy for the guides not to accept tips, which makes me believe they pay their guides a decent wage.