Seabourn-SeaDream comparison

DisneyJen

Thanks DisneyJen for your well balanced reviews. I agree with most of what you have written. I love SeaDream for the intimate yachting experience, and I love Seabourn for the family atmosphere onboard. Personally I prefer longer voyages, so Seabourn tends to "win" out there. Thanks again! :)

Host Dan

PS Would LOVE to do a crossing on SeaDream!

;) Hi Jen and welcome back to our corner of cyberspace...

I read both parts with interest and find that your experience was not unlike that of a few others I've spoken to who have cruised Seabourn. Mostly those people don't post on the Seabourn board, and when they do there is always a chance that they'll get a little heat. But the best post I've ever read on the SB board--and this by one of the regulars--addresses the high expectations created by some of the SB faithful, and the understandable disillusionment which many feel when they don't encounter the same high levels of food and service... or when their mileage differs substantially. Not saying this was the case with you but it may have played a part in it.

A couple of points you make are valuable and should be known to first-time SB cruisers: the lack of shade on the deck and the disappearance of loungers after the sun goes down on a Caribbean cruise could be problem for some. I would also be concerned about the noise coming through the walls of your suite in the middle of the night... someone should have knocked on the door and told them to cease and desist!

More troubling, at least to me, is the 'dinner with Felipe' anecdote. That should NEVER have happened... not on SB or any other cruise line for that matter. The problem with complaining too much about food and dining service is not knowing what those in the kitchen will do to your food to retaliate. A lesson I learned many years ago from my son when he worked in a restaurant is "never make a scene at the table"; wait till you're out of there and then complain to the management. I hope you will write a letter to SB and describe this incident in detail... someone in the main office needs to follow up on this.

Now I await part three... you're being thoughtful and fair and that's what all of us want in a review!

alita

Thanks for the comments Dan ... I too look forward to a crossing on SD:D

I think I have been so spoiled on SD alita!

DH and I started our careers a million years ago in the food service industry so we made sure to write a lengthy comment on our disembarkation questionnaire. I guess I should follow up with a letter to corporate as well.

I have most of part 3 written... I suspect it will be tomorrow before it is posted since DH likes to review to make sure that I have accurately portrayed his point of view:p

Thanks for the comments Dan ... I too look forward to a crossing on SD:D

DJ,

Being a grizzled veteran of exactly 1 SD crossing, I have to tell you (and Host Dan) that it is an experience not to be missed. Actually, I told you that at the time that we signed up for it, didn't I???

I happen to know of a couple of SD crossings that some of your friends are signed up for. Don't hesitate to write if you'd like more information......

Hi DJ:

Sorry all was not as expected. No excuse for poor service at the per diems they charge on the premium lines. I noted the practice of removing deck chairs at night (also plastic!!!). This happens a lot on the mass market lines and always makes me feel as though I have stayed at the party too long and the host and hostess are starting to wash the dishes when I want one more drink. Love being able to find a (teak) deck chair or bed any time on SD. Sometimes you just want to sit outside at night. Thanks again for your review.

All the best in 2007.

Jim.

Happy New Year to you Jim!

I chuckled over your comment about staying at the party too long ... that is exactly how we felt. When we are on SD we feel like the ship is truly ours ... and on SB we felt like we were visitors ... we never had that family feeling that others have talked about but then again we don't go looking for that either. It was just a completely different (not bad) experience.

Aren't you and Lois sailing SB soon? I know you will have a good time ... it will just be different than SD. I hope that the comparison will help in terms of setting expectations for your trip.

DJ:

We were thinking of SB but really think we will like another SD better. Trouble is, in 2007, any time we have available, we cant make fit with SD. Are looking around for something Spring and hopefully another around early December. Too bad it takes work to be able to do these things.

Jim.

Jen

Good reviews. FT hasn't had a chance to read them yet but I'm sure she'll enjoy them.

We are trying to find a time to fit SD in again and as Jim says it is a shame we have to work, since with my schedule we hit those weeks with the kids.

To all of our SD friends happy new year.

Welcome back zqvol! Hope Tampa wasn't too wet or too sad (how about those Nittany Lions;)).

Looking forward to seeing you and FT to talk in person.

We too are looking at the SD schedule ... amazing how work gets in the way:p

Jen...

I was rereading your reviews this afternoon and one of the things that struck me was the difference in open deck space (and privacy therein) between the two lines. I had a short sail on Seabourn back in the days when they were doing the 3-night NY-NY cruise and I have to say that I simply loved it and planned to follow up with a longer Seabourn cruise. But the open deck space wasn’t an issue then as the weather was cool and showery most of the time.

I do like being on deck however, especially at night to see the constellations, and for me that was one of the greatest things about SD.... there were always places to stargaze, and one could even go to the bridge and have a tutorial on the heavens from the 1st officer... with the bridge lights turned off! That is one of my enduring memories and one of the reasons I’ve already booked crossings for this year and next.

We too are looking at the SD schedule ... amazing how work gets in the way:p

Ahem....I trust that both couples will be in touch with us prior to locking anything in? We (and Alita) have some current bookings on some sailings that happen to have additional space currently....

Ahem....I trust that both couples will be in touch with us prior to locking anything in? We (and Alita) have some current bookings on some sailings that happen to have additional space currently....

CTBJR - consider this the official "in touch" request. An e-mail with details would be greatly appreciated. Are you making the fall 08 crossing? If the wonderful Captain T is making the crossing and there is no single supplement I'm in. For other trips, ZQ Vol's schedule makes them very difficult. Oh to win the Lottery . . . no work to interfere with travel. :rolleyes:

DisneyJen - are we ever going to have that lunch? I can't believe I'll be seeing DH next week and we're still playing tag. Yes, ZQVOL and DS not only sat in the rain but watched the beloved Vols fumble yet one more time. I knew we were doomed when everyone on Game Day predicted the Vols would win.:( Congrats on a good win.

Happy 2007 to all

Frequent Traveler

FT...

Jumping in here to say that I've booked the fall '08 crossing and have the following info for you:

JT in command - yes

single supplement -no (at least there was none when I booked!)

alita

CTBJR - consider this the official "in touch" request. An e-mail with details would be greatly appreciated. Are you making the fall 08 crossing? If the wonderful Captain T is making the crossing and there is no single supplement I'm in. For other trips, ZQ Vol's schedule makes them very difficult.

You've got mail, FT.

Thanks CTBJR -

DisneyJen's reviews of Brand X were great --confirmed what ZQVol and I had thought. At this stage in our travel lives Brand X is not our cup of tea. A good friend who was debating between Brand X and SD has now decided to take her first ever cruise on SD - possibly the 2008 fall crossing, so looks like you will have company from NC.

FT

Hi:

We are booking SD1 9 December out of San Juan. Does this trip fit ZQVOL's schedule, FT? The itinerary is a bit different but still has our favorites. Also, would much rather use the San Juan airport over St Thomas. Hope to see some of you on board.

All the best,

Jim & Lois.

DisneyJen - are we ever going to have that lunch? I can't believe I'll be seeing DH next week and we're still playing tag. Yes, ZQVOL and DS not only sat in the rain but watched the beloved Vols fumble yet one more time. I knew we were doomed when everyone on Game Day predicted the Vols would win. Congrats on a good win.

Happy 2007 to all

Frequent Traveler

Hey FT I know you are away the next few days but I will email you about lunch (tell DH I said hello:p).

I am not sure what is going to happen in terms of cruising in '07 as DH's sister and her family and DH's brother and his wife want to cruise as a family this year around Thanksgiving since it will mark the one-year annniversary of their mother's passing. Given that group we most likely are looking at RCCL :eek: Or a villa type of vacation.

DH has said he wants to take a cruise break and maybe rent a villa on St. John or Virgin Gorda or charter a 40-footer with Moorings in the BVI this year as well.:rolleyes:

At least this will give you something to talk to him about FT:p:D

Thanks CTBJR -

DisneyJen's reviews of Brand X were great --confirmed what ZQVol and I had thought. At this stage in our travel lives Brand X is not our cup of tea. A good friend who was debating between Brand X and SD has now decided to take her first ever cruise on SD - possibly the 2008 fall crossing, so looks like you will have company from NC.

FT

Thanks FT ... I think I just confirmed things that Ctbjr already knew:p

Archived