Bayahibe Beach

kentuckychris

After researching this beach, I have put all the information together. Will someone that has recently done this please comment?

It seems that you can get a taxi to Bayahibe Beach for about $60 round trip. That's for the taxi and not per person. If I'm understanding this right, the taxi can take up to 14 people, so if there is just 2 of us, we can share with others and split the cost. This is a beautiful, calm public beach. There are shops, places to eat and drink and restrooms (although I understand they're not the nicest)

The taxi will wait for you to come back. It's about a 20-25 minute ride.

We don't want to do an organized tour and we also don't want to spend a lot of money on this port. Any information will be helpful.

The beach is nice enough to the east of town, there is a beach bar type place and restaurants in town. The public beach to the west of town (between Bayahibe and Dreams) is ok, there are vendor shacks there and a dive shop to rent excursions. But you're near where all of the boats go out of for excursions. Another option Is Dominicus beach just a few minutes further beyone Bayahibe. You can also take a $1pp bus between Bayahibe and Dominicus.

Can't help with the taxi question as we taxied from La Romana as part of our Seavis excursion which was just $10pp. But I understand the taxi is reasonable if you can round up a group.

For a nice beach day along with time on the water either in small motorboats or a luxury cat consider an excursion with Seavis Tours or Pro Excursions to either Saona Island or Cataline Island. Both are excellent outfits and we've done both, Saona while in port with Carvinal, and Catalina while staying at Dreams earlier this year and these were two of our favorite excursions. You can find info in my previous posts here or in the Bayahibe forum on tripadvisor.

• 2 weeks later...
After researching this beach, I have put all the information together. Will someone that has recently done this please comment?

It seems that you can get a taxi to Bayahibe Beach for about $60 round trip. That's for the taxi and not per person. If I'm understanding this right, the taxi can take up to 14 people, so if there is just 2 of us, we can share with others and split the cost. This is a beautiful, calm public beach. There are shops, places to eat and drink and restrooms (although I understand they're not the nicest)

The taxi will wait for you to come back. It's about a 20-25 minute ride.

We don't want to do an organized tour and we also don't want to spend a lot of money on this port. Any information will be helpful.

for $74 i'm doing Bayahibe beach excursion which includes transport and open bar..... if taxi is 60, then the cruise excursion is a good deal for open bar too

for $74 i'm doing Bayahibe beach excursion which includes transport and open bar..... if taxi is 60, then the cruise excursion is a good deal for open bar too

The taxi is not $60pp sccoast.

Is that the Dreams excursion you're taking? Or another spot? If Dreams we've stayed there and although a nice enough property the beach you're sharing with resort guests is small. Consider the Seavis Saona Special, also all inclusive and a much nicer day!hate to see ppl spend their day sitting at a resort and not seeing the beauty of the area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Getting a Taxi to take us to Bayahibe was a problem as there was just two of us, we were willing to pay but no driver would leave without a full cab/van. After 10 minuets or so we decided to head back on the ship that is when one of the drivers yelled for us to stop and put us in a full cab and then off we went. Once we arrived at Bayahibe the driver discussed how long we could stay and what everyone was to pay per person. There was a lot of confusion because of the language barrier and the signs at the port have prices that are completely different from what was being discussed. It reminded me of many of the cruise ports 10 years ago, people fairly aggressive selling and trying to work to get you to spend your money. We enjoyed our day and didn't spend as much on the taxi as we had feared.

Yes, La Romana is one of those ports you really want to have something planned ahead of time for. The Seavis and Pro E excursions are really excellent choices for this port since the taxi drivers work with them, no worries on the transfers...

After spending a couple weeks at DLR we don't think it's worth going there for the day while on a cruise, especially with the other options available. But that's just from our experiences, some folks prefer a resort beach over the natural beauty surrounding the resort...

Edited by blue_water