Hotel Help for Port of Long Beach

danny8826

Could someone please recommend a hotel near the port of Long Beach?

We wanted to stay for 1 night prior to boarding the cruise.

Thank you.

I've given the same list countless times here:

A List:

Hyatt Regency

Hyatt at the Pike

Renaissance

Westin

These are the four nicest hotels in Long Beach...and right in the "heart of the action"...steps from restaurants, shopping and the Aquarium of the Pacific, Shoreline Village, the Pike...Also puts you near the stops for the FREE Passport shuttle which will take you to the Queen Mary, to Walmart, even to the pier...

B List:

Hilton

Maya Doubletree

Residence Inn Downtown

The Hilton is near the A List hotels...just about 2 or 3 blocks extra walk from everything and , IMHO, not quite as nice as those first four...

The other two are across the channel--on the same side as the Queen Mary and the Carnival Terminal...but farther from restaurants, shopping, etc.--though you can take that same free shuttle in reverse...

And, then, there's the Queen Mary...Some folks like it--and it is right next to the Carnival terminal...I'm not a fan--it's an old, dank, dark relic with small, dated rooms...BUT, if you are a big nostalgia fan, it may work for you...

Do NOT look elsewhere in Long Beach...Some neighborhoods get bad fast...and others are clear across Long Beach...and Long Beach is a BIG town--Population over half a million...Some hotels are a half an hour drive away.

Edited by Bruin Steve

Steve, why don't you recommend the Crowne Plaza? I'm just wondering because I booked through Hotwire and got the CP ?

I recommend the Crowne Plaza...and the Doubletree...

...for SAN PEDRO....

The OP on this thread specifically inquired about LONG BEACH...

San Pedro and Long Beach are on opposite sides of the VERY LARGE harbor....the two are 6-8 miles apart. For those sailing out of Long Beach (Carnival), it is more convenient to stay in Long Beach...For those sailing on other cruise lines, San Pedro...

I recommend the Crowne Plaza...and the Doubletree...

...for SAN PEDRO....

The OP on this thread specifically inquired about LONG BEACH...

San Pedro and Long Beach are on opposite sides of the VERY LARGE harbor....the two are 6-8 miles apart. For those sailing out of Long Beach (Carnival), it is more convenient to stay in Long Beach...For those sailing on other cruise lines, San Pedro...

Oh OK, whew. We ARE sailing Carnival but ended up in San Pedro. We'll have our car, so we don't really mind driving over, etc. I was geting worried there for a minute!!!

Oh OK, whew. We ARE sailing Carnival but ended up in San Pedro. We'll have our car, so we don't really mind driving over, etc. I was geting worried there for a minute!!!

You will be just fine...

The Crowne Plaza is a very nice hotel...not quite as nice, perhaps, as the two Hyatts or the Renaissance in Long Beach, but not that far behind...It is, IMHO, the top hotel in San Pedro...

One difference staying in San Pedro rather than Long Beach is in restaurant choices...Long Beach has a lot of recognizable chain restaurants--CPK, PF Chang, Islands, Chili's, Outback, etc. while San Pedro has mostly one-of-a-kind local places--the exception being Acapulco, which is still only a local chain...My choice, within a block and a half of the CP is the San Pedro Brewing Co., but there are several other local restaurants in the immediate vicinity.

Check out this list by Wineaux, a frequent poster here who is a resident of and merchant in San Pedro:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43650319&postcount=849

Since you will have your car with you, you can really go anywhere...

The day of your cruise, you will cross the Vincent Thomas Bridge (Los Angeles' only suspension bridge) across the harbor mouth onto Terminal Island, then drive approximately six miles across Terminal Island to the Carnival Terminal. Leave yourself sufficient time as there is sometimes a lot of truck traffic on that route since this is a very industrial area with harbor-related facilities. LA Harbor is the third busiest port in the world. When you get to the Carnival Terminal, you will see a large parking structure next to a large Geodesic Dome. Park in the structure...The Dome is the Carnival Terminal.

Have fun...

Steve, why don't you recommend the Crowne Plaza? I'm just wondering because I booked through Hotwire and got the CP ?

We've cruised from Long Beach exactly one time, so I certainly do not consider myself "experienced", but we stayed (as a family of nine) at Crowne Plaza and found it to be a great "one nighter"...the restaurant there is way over priced, and the food underwhelming, but the rooms were clean, and spacious. There are a number of fast food places nearby, and a great "dive bar" up a block and one over. The Crowne Plaza also offers a free shuttle to the cruise docks for those that do not care to drive. All in all, I would stay there again if I were to cruise from San Pedro.

If you are sailing from Long Beach I would not stay in San Pedro. In fact, if you are sailing out of San Pedro I would recommend other places including Long Beach ahead of San Pedro. With all due respect to those who like San Pedro, I do not. I consider myself very flexible but there are so many places in my opinion that are nicer and safer than San Pedro. Personally, I like Long Beach.

Choice is good. We all have different opinions but for me I have no interest in staying in San Pedro.

Keiht

Well, I got the CP for $70.....and we have a car, so we can go anywhere. We also live up in Carmel and spend time down in LA often and have cruised from Long Beach a lot. We used to stay at the Maya, but the walls are paper thin and last time we were there we spent all night listening to the couple next to us having a LOT of fun!!

Thank you everyone.

I went ahead and did a bid on Priceline for $130. I won the bid and got the Hyatt Regency Long Beach.

Now that i see Steve says Hyatt Regency is on the A list, I'm excited to be in this area.

Thank you again.

Danny

• 3 weeks later...
I've given the same list countless times here:

A List:

Hyatt Regency

Hyatt at the Pike

Renaissance

Westin

These are the four nicest hotels in Long Beach...and right in the "heart of the action"...steps from restaurants, shopping and the Aquarium of the Pacific, Shoreline Village, the Pike...Also puts you near the stops for the FREE Passport shuttle which will take you to the Queen Mary, to Walmart, even to the pier...

B List:

Hilton

Maya Doubletree

Residence Inn Downtown

The Hilton is near the A List hotels...just about 2 or 3 blocks extra walk from everything and , IMHO, not quite as nice as those first four...

The other two are across the channel--on the same side as the Queen Mary and the Carnival Terminal...but farther from restaurants, shopping, etc.--though you can take that same free shuttle in reverse...

And, then, there's the Queen Mary...Some folks like it--and it is right next to the Carnival terminal...I'm not a fan--it's an old, dank, dark relic with small, dated rooms...BUT, if you are a big nostalgia fan, it may work for you...

Do NOT look elsewhere in Long Beach...Some neighborhoods get bad fast...and others are clear across Long Beach...and Long Beach is a BIG town--Population over half a million...Some hotels are a half an hour drive away.

Do any of the hotels you listed have rates for Carnival passengers?? I noticed on another post you gave a corporate code for the Hotel Maya; that code gave a much cheaper rate for Carnival passengers.

can you give me the code for the hotel maya park and cruise price??? would love to stay there.

0560018220 I saw this corporate code for Carnival passengers on another post for the Hotel Maya. The rate was $119(instead of $239) and you could park your car for up to 7 days.

I booked it directly on their website.

0560018220 I saw this corporate code for Carnival passengers on another post for the Hotel Maya. The rate was $119(instead of $239) and you could park your car for up to 7 days.

I booked it directly on their website.

This code brings up the Carnival Crew rate and it states you need a crew ID badge. Do this code work for cruise passengers too?

For those who don't have a car and need transportation to one of the ports (by staying at a hotel on the other side of the "bridge," make sure you talk to the hotel desk about their shuttles. Make sure you say which port you need to go to, and then make sure your driver (whether it's a hotel shuttle, paid shuttle, or taxi) knows which port. Otherwise, they may assume you're talking about the closest port.