Vancouver to Toronto by RV

Bpos

There are 9 of us from Perth Western Australia who wish to travel across Canada from Vancouver to Toronto (after a cruise to Alaska) Is this possible in mid/late May and what sort of time frame should we allow for the journey if travelling by RV. We disembark from the ship on 17 May and need to be in New York by early June 2008.

Sounds like fun to me, my family used to drive our motorhome from Toronto to Calgary, AB to visit relatives and then up into the Rockies to site-see. I never made it all the way to Vancouver, yet. My Grandfather was know for sometimes either driving at night to avoid traffic or driving all night, so timing is a bit us a guess for me and I was 15 when we last did the trip. 40 now.

I would plan at least a week to not rush driving and be able to do some short stops.

Vancouver to Calgary 2 or 3 days (lots to see), Calgary to Winnipeg 1 day, Winnipeg to Toronto 2 days (I takes over a day just to get around Lake Superior and Georgian Bay).

Then you could add extra days wherever you want to stop. Toronto to New York is also another 2 days.

Places I've been out west are Lake Louise and Banff Alberta. Banff is an amazing little town to see surrounded by mountains. There is a gondola ride up that overlooks the town. Columbia Icefield in Jasper, Alberta. I did a tour here that took you out on the glacier. Calgary is a nice large city. I've been up the Calgary tower (small compared to the CN tower in Toronto though) and to the zoo. Drumheller, Alberta is home to the Dinosaur museum and the Badlands Park where the landscape has been sculpted into amazing shapes, gullies and tall sandstone pillars called hoodoos.

You could also see Manitoulin Island in Lake Huron Ontario. Lighthouses and bridal veil falls are pretty. I believe the Chi-Cheemaun Ferry from Manitoulin Island to Tobermory, Ontario is able to take motorhomes onboard and would be an interesting option to the Ontario leg of the trip. It also is a shortcut but you pay for it. Tobermory is about 4 hours from Toronto and has a lot of shallow sunken wreaks and does glass bottomed boat tours to view them. Wye Marsh and Sauble beach are also nearby if you want to take a break from driving.

Sorry, I know you didn't ask all this, but I got excited.:o Is it all adults or kids too?

Thank you very much for the information. We all all adults and expect to travel in 3 RVs so that we can deviate along the way. I guess if we allow 14 - 16 days for the journey it will give us plenty of time for sightseeing etc.

The longest part of the trip is that around Lake Superior and that Ferry ride breaks it up for sure.

Your time of 14-16 days is a lot better than shorter. She's a fair dickem (?) distance across there.

Lots to see and do through the mountains and across the Prairie's. Maybe look at droppping down into the top of the States also as the southern route in Canada is not that far off the border at places.

Get out your atlas and have a peak. Any specific Q's give me a shout. Love to do that trip and will do it again someday myself.

There are 9 of us from Perth Western Australia who wish to travel across Canada from Vancouver to Toronto (after a cruise to Alaska) Is this possible in mid/late May and what sort of time frame should we allow for the journey if travelling by RV. We disembark from the ship on 17 May and need to be in New York by early June 2008.

Check out this website www.frankslide.com The town of Frank is located in the Crow's Nest Pass between British Columbia and Alberta and the slide area is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. It is a must see!!! Allow two to three hours to view the area and the visitors' centre.

I know that around Winnipeg, it's better to take an alternate road, there is more sightseeing than on the Highway 1. Just stop at a tourist office or ask them info ahead of time, they will suggest the best road.

Many thanks to those who posted information to assist us with making plans for the trip.

Will let you know how we got on after the trip next next year.

Regards

Gordon

Archived