Mandalay-new owner 3.29.12

SailorJM

update on the sailing cruise ship Mandalay, which went out of service when Windjammer Barefoot Cruises went belly up in 2007 and later was purchased and refurbed by Angermeyer Cruises and then put up for sale earlier this year:

Windjammer Sailing Adventures out of Florida has purchased Mandalay and supposedly plans to sail her out of Grenada. The jammerbabe website has posts about her being under sail this week, on the way to Panama. And this morning, this post was made by Old Salt on that site:

"Windjammer Sailing Adventures will be announcing their plans for the Mandalay within the next two weeks."

HOORAY HOORAY!!!!

Sailor JM I am very excited, and have been following these developments on Facebook under "Windjammer Sailing Fans". According to this they have Strokey for the chef and Capt Phil as Skipper. Our favorite WJ trips were on the Mandalay between Antigua and Grenada, now we have hopes of doing them again!

Nancy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Word is that S/V Mandalay will be sailing through the Panama Canal April 24 on her way to Grenada, her new home-port. Such great news!

Formerly owned Windjammer Barefoot Cruises and then Angemeyer Cruises (where she was never sailed as a cruise ship, but was refurbed), and now owned by Windjammer Sailing Adventures. Life on the seas is looking even better!

• 2 weeks later...

From Steve, update from Panama :cool:

Hi all,

She's still here on the anchor, not to worry, you haven't missed the transit. The AIS transponder must be turned off at this time.

Ah yes, Panama....there is a law here that when a past-President of the Republic dies, there is an automatic holiday. Seriously! In my 4 years here I think I've seen 5 of them croak, and even "transitional" Presidents (ahem) that were actually in office for 4 days! They kick off and whoooo, another holiday in Panama!!! Incredible. Anyway, ANOTHER one passed away last night, so this coming Monday has been declared ANOTHER holiday.

WHy do I tell that story? Nothing, other than wow, what a crazy place.

Anyway, another paperwork hurdle was jumped today and it is now looking like Monday or Tuesday. And looking fairly firm now. So don't panic, it won't happen this weekend, and maybe it'll happen on the Special Holiday on Monday! :)

Will keep you posted.

- Steve

S/V Mandalay at anchor, Panama.

2092980735_DSCF0143(800x603).jpg.584c16691626772f0e76e48d55c20a57.jpg

Panama Canal Crossing- Sunday May 13th

It’s finally happening. The Mandalay will be passing through the canal on Sunday between 6 and 8 p m eastern time, 5-7 Panama time.

Log on to:

www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html?cam=Miraflores

to watch her begin her trek out of Panama. This is the start of a great journey for you and for Windjammer Sailing Adventures. We’ve all waited a long time to watch this happen.. Enjoy, and cherish the memories it brings back.

• 2 months later...

Archived