Port of Livorno question

Pookiepint

Cruising on Celebrity Silhouette Oct 31, 2015

How close is the port to Livorno?

If you do not sign up for an excursion from the ship

do you have to get a taxi from ship there or

Can you just catch a shuttle to Livorno and hang out there?

We may have someone meet us at the port..how close can they get to the ship to pick us up?

The port itself is huge(and ugly) and it takes some time to get out even by car, you can not always count on the shuttles .This is the one port in Europe where we do excursions .I know many on this site still do D.I.Y. in this port but time and ease make it good for excursions. May I ask where you are planning to go.

We took a shuttle bus from the ship (can't remember about cost) to train station. You can then go to Florence or some other place.

We took train to Lucca, with connection in Pisa. Gave us time to see the Tower (and take pictures, of course) on our walk to connecting train station. On way back from Lucca, was same station for connection. Made sure we were at train station with plenty of time for going back to port on bus.

Have to keep track of time, but we had a good amount of time in port that day.

We took a shuttle bus from the ship (can't remember about cost) to train station. You can then go to Florence or some other place.

We took train to Lucca, with connection in Pisa. Gave us time to see the Tower (and take pictures, of course) on our walk to connecting train station. On way back from Lucca, was same station for connection. Made sure we were at train station with plenty of time for going back to port on bus.

Have to keep track of time, but we had a good amount of time in port that day.

Ah, thanks for confirming that is the port for Florence. I seemed to remember that from one of our cruises in Italy some years ago.

Get a tour to Florence. Unless I am mistaken, it is doable from Livorno.

We did this. We took a ship's excursion to Florence and Pisa - a fabulous day indeed. Passed so many fields of sunflowers... saw the leaning tower of Pisa (which some people like to claim is a tourist trap and a waste of time, but it was one of the greatest days of my life!)... ate some authentic Italian pasta... magnifico. :D

As mentioned be sure to check out the Italy Ports of Call Board.

There are many places to get to from Livorno. Some have been mentioned already. drive times are about 90 minutes each way for Florence, a little less for Lucca and about 45 minutes for Pisa. For your first visit if you plan to go to these places I would take a tour; either a ships tour or a private tour. You can get a lot more information on the ports of call board.

Yes, you can just walk around Livorno but I view this as a gateway stop to some remarkable places and would highly recommend for your first visit touring some of these places rather than spending the day in Livorno. If you choose to stay in Livorno you can do some touring, or go to the beach, or have a nice lunch there or do a combination of all three.

Keith

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this but I highly recommend posting on CC and getting a group together to hire Rome in Limo. If u read the Italy boards, we all RAVE about them. If you get 8 people, it will cost around 100 euros each, a bargain compared to ship excursions.

The port area is huge - you need bus or taxi to get to the station, and then train either to Florence or to Lucca (via Pisa). The problem with Florence is that it takes a fair amount of time to get there and you will most likely not have time to deal with the lines to get into Ufizzi gallery or the Academy to see the David. Yo will just be able to get an idea of what you are missing: it is better to save Florence for a land trip. This is because Lucca is such a great alternative: a gem of a perfect little walled medieval city which you can pretty well explore in the time available - while also checking out the,Leaning Tower while in Pisa between trains.

Livorno itself has very little of interest.