What to wear for Viking Rhine Getaway-October Dept?

snap123

Suggestions please for what to wear on this line's river cruises leaving October 1. It does not look like it is very formal but I am at a loss. We have been on one other cruise on Oceania and that was pretty casual, I felt. Would anyone have a comparison? Thanks.

We went on Viking for a Christmas Markets cruise in 2008. During the day, we wore jeans and lots of layers because it was the first week of December. Daytime attire was very casual and comfortable. Most people "dressed" for dinner - mostly slacks and dress shirts for men and skirts/slacks with nice tops for women.

I agree that casual clothing -- slacks and solid colored cotton shirts or blouses (didn't see much in the line of writing on shirts except a few city or attraction names) during the day. In the evening a little better blouse and skirt or slack set. I didn't feel anyone was overly dressed up nor were they sloppy or ultra casual. Perhaps clothes appropriate for a nice restaurant or even church at home. Plan to have a good jacket as it can be cool under the dining room vents but warm in some other areas. I have been on two lines (Uniworld and Viking in Europe) and I was comfortable with my normal cruise attire minus the dressiest clothes that have to do with "formal" night. I do think that women in Europe dress a little more formally (especially shoes -- not many tennis shoes favoring more leather closed shoes or pumps/flats). October might be ready for light sweaters or sweater sets. Have a great time. The Rhine River is one of the most beautiful and so interesting with all the boat traffic.

The River and Canal cruises forum has lots of posts on this.

We have done two river cruises. Pack layers for daytime wear and bring a rain jacket for October. For dinners, I wear black slacks and a nice top and that is typical for ladies. There is normally a Captain's cocktail reception and I wear a sparkly top for that one. I also have a black ponte knit pencil skirt I pack and wear with a black silk ribbed turtleneck and accessories as I get tired of wearing pants.

DH brings dress slacks and nice sweaters (evenings will be cool in fall on the Rhine) as well as some button down shirts for evenings.

Enjoy!

Archived