Hawaii Beach Transportation Question

skybluewaters

I imagine it is fairly easy to get a taxi from the pier in Honolulu to take you to Hanauma Bay for some snorkeling. But how do you get a taxi to take you back from the beach to the ship? Are there taxis right there waiting for clients? I would prefer not to take a cell phone so that it doesn't get wet/ruined.

Also, in Kona, after taking the tender to the pier, are there taxis easily available to take you to Kahaluu Beach? And since that beach would have many fewer people visiting, would taxis be available there?

If you have these specific experiences, or even a vaguely similar experience, I would be grateful to hear your recommendation. Thank you!

I imagine it is fairly easy to get a taxi from the pier in Honolulu to take you to Hanauma Bay for some snorkeling. But how do you get a taxi to take you back from the beach to the ship? Are there taxis right there waiting for clients? I would prefer not to take a cell phone so that it doesn't get wet/ruined.

Also, in Kona, after taking the tender to the pier, are there taxis easily available to take you to Kahaluu Beach? And since that beach would have many fewer people visiting, would taxis be available there?

If you have these specific experiences, or even a vaguely similar experience, I would be grateful to hear your recommendation. Thank you!

You should always have your cell phone with you. If it is a Smartphone, get a waterproof case from Aquapac. Smartphones take awesome underwater photos and videos.

If it is a regular flip phone, get an Aquapac to old the flip phone, your ID and a credit card, maybe some cash.

There aren't any cabs at Hanauma I am aware of.

http://usstore.aquapac.net/

You should always have your cell phone with you. If it is a Smartphone, get a waterproof case from Aquapac. Smartphones take awesome underwater photos and videos.

If it is a regular flip phone, get an Aquapac to old the flip phone, your ID and a credit card, maybe some cash.

There aren't any cabs at Hanauma I am aware of.

http://usstore.aquapac.net/

Thanks for that useful information!

I've never seen taxis waiting at Kahalu'u Beach in Kona. There used to be a pay phone, but odds of it actually working are slim. You might try what we've done in the Caribbean - tip your driver nicely when he takes you to the beach and tell him there will be another nice tip if he arrives to pick you up at xx time to go back to the ship. Another option - there is a Kona Trolley that makes the run up and down the coast from the pier. It's cheap (last we heard about $2 per person each way) but it can be overcrowded late in the afternoon, so another risk. Personally, I'd take the cell phone in a waterproof pouch.