Viking Idun Romantic Danube from Budapest

Dnkram

Just started the Pre-cruise 2 day stop in Budapest before boarding the Idun on 11 May. Viking put us up in the Budapest Hilton. The view of the Fisherman's Bastion is directly below our 4th floor window with the Danube and the Pest part of the city stretched out before us. One of the most strikingly beautiful views I have ever had from a hotel window.

Dinner last night in the Castle Hills district at Pest Buda Vendiglo. The Restaruant was recommended by the Viking reps in the hotel and it was a wonderful experience. The food and wine were superb. Tonight we are going on a Viking recommended winery tour outside of the city after a full day of site seeing. If the river cruise is anything like the pre-cruise I will be very happy. So far the Viking staff has been spot on with recommendations.

We will be in room 316 on the Idun, a veranda suite. I will update daily as we cruise as the wifi aboard permits. Let the fun begin!

Sitting in our cabin after lunch on the terrace deck.

First a correction, the Idun must be out of service because they have put us on the Embla which is a sister ship and exactly the same. This boat just came down from the 14 day tour from Amsterdam and now we will be going back up to Nuremberg.

Yesterday we were on our 2nd day the pre-stay in Budapest. The hotel Hilton was excellent and perfectly placed for the best view in the city. We told the Viking staff at the hotel that we wanted to do something out of the tourist area that would show us Hungary. He suggested a wine tour about 25 minute drive west of the city. It wasn't on their regular list of tours but other guests had take. The tour and highly recommended it. The 4 of us were met at the hotel by Edina Avvakumovits. She and her husband drove us out to the country town of Etyek. The vineyards are just out of town in an area looking much like Tuscany or even Napa Valley. We walked to three different small private vineyards and a dinner was prepared outside at the final stop. The owners of the vineyards all spoke English and were very informative and happy to talk about the Hungarian life and growing post communist wine industry. Edina was unbelievable and we all became good friends it seemed by the end of the evening. The wine was delicious. Their white wines are the specialty of the cooler climate grapes and the Pinot Noir was outstanding. The homemade Hungarian goulash and brandy at the end of the day as the sun was setting out on the back porch was picture perfect. We could not have had a better day. I highly recommend the "Wine tour in Etyek." Ask for it , you won't find it posted in your paperwork . The tour is from 4-10pm.

Today, we ate breakfast, packed and put our luggage outside the door at 10am. Check out is noon. We walked down the hill to the Mammut mall. It was a modern mall as big as any in Dallas. I had to go to an Apple store to have them work on my Ipad. We then walked down to the river and walked along the shoreline to the boat which is parked next to the Chain Bridge on the Pest side of the river. We walked aboard and was immediately greeted with a warm wet cloth to clean off. We ate lunch on the Aquvit Terrace while our room was getting ready. By 130pm, we were sitting in our suite using the wifi which works well so far. Many of the other guests are on a walking tour. We have seen most of what we wanted but will leave in the evening to visit the Great Market two bridges down. So far I have been impressed with the staff and the room. A bottle of champagne and a bowl of fruit was waiting on us. The small "living room" is just the right size. The other two in our party have a small cabin but they can hang in here with us comfortably.

Tomorrow morning starts the formal Viking tours from the boat and the boat will leave for Vienna in the afternoon.

More tomorrow night.

Another thank you for a live post, and looking forward to all your tips and observations. We're doing the same itinerary on the Viking Freya the end of June - our first river cruise.

Question on the wine tour (we're also doing the pre-stay Budapest, post cruise Prague). Is there a lot of walking? My sister, niece and I are traveling with our father, and he has COPD so can't walk great distances.

Thanks, again.

Just curious if you knew about or visited the Faust wine cellar located within the Hilton? We had a great time doing this. It's a little $$ pricey, but the tastings last for several hours and the atmosphere is awesome.

Another thank you for a live post, and looking forward to all your tips and observations. We're doing the same itinerary on the Viking Freya the end of June - our first river cruise.

Question on the wine tour (we're also doing the pre-stay Budapest, post cruise Prague). Is there a lot of walking? My sister, niece and I are traveling with our father, and he has COPD so can't walk great distances.

Thanks, again.

They drive us to the door of the first home, then a small 5 min walk to the next home. Maybe 600 yards. Then the third home is about 150 feet down the lane. The roads are gravel or hard dirt "country" roads but easy to navigate. There is a small incline on the first walk that takes about 5 to 10 mins. Our weather was perfect so keep that in mind. I'm sure if it had not been they would have driven us to the other location but the walk just made it perfect to us. I can't recommend this tour enough; and tell Edina that David from Texas said not to change a thing.

Just curious if you knew about or visited the Faust wine cellar located within the Hilton? We had a great time doing this. It's a little $$ pricey, but the tastings last for several hours and the atmosphere is awesome.

We saw the ad but it wasn't recommended; probably because we mentioned we wanted to get away from town.

Still parked at the pier in Budapest. We were parked inside of another boat but then they switched them and now we have an awesome view of the Buda side of the river with bridge and Palace under night lights, just magnificent.

The veranda suite is perfect size for us, my brothers room is pretty small and not much lounging space but they seem satisfied. Rooms are spotless clean and modern. Dinner was delicious and the wine flowed freely. The staff are friendly young and energetic. The seem very eager to be of help always saying hello and do you need anything. Oh and I love the 24 h/day coffee bar where you can make any type of coffee, tea or hot cocoa.

Now the negative: there seems to be a hint of a urine smell in the hallway of the guest rooms?????? Not too big a deal unless it gets worse, I will let you know.

The wifi was ok in the room this afternoon but now that everyone is aboard it is very slow in the room and pics are hard to send. I am now sitting in the Library next to the main router to send these. Don't expect wifi at home. Not gonna happen. These are little gripes and not anything to make me not happy , Overall, my expectations have been exceeded.

More tomorrow

We just went through the first lock. It was very interesting to watch having never done this before.

The morning started with a tour of Budapest. We stayed aboard since we had been in town for two days already. While the tour was out the boat left at 8 am and headed up river to Visigrad. We picked up the group at noon and were on our way by 1230 headed west. We arrive at Vienna at 0830 in the morning. Our day then has been all on the boat and was very relaxing with a nap, some reading, a lecture and presentation. Particularly interesting was the talk from our program director Marek. He talked about growing up in a communist country and gaining freedom at the age of 13. He also modeled for us some authentic Slavakian folklorian dance clothing that he has inherited. Also some dancing with another member of the crew. (Sorry about my spelling, not my best subject in school and I'm typing fast). The meals have been fine and of good selections and quality.

After taking many ocean cruises, I wasn't sure what to expect with the river cruise. My first impression is that my wife and I are 49 and by far the youngest on the boat. Not a criticism, but don't be surprised when things are a bit slower paced and the piano music is also. I did hear a James Taylor tune today, tho. There isn't much to do while on board but relax, read, nap, and take on the view, but isn't that the idea? I guess what I'm saying is: know what your buying and enjoy. Don't expect a Caribbean cruise on a 3000 passenger ship.

The boat itself is fine except for the faint methane smell that you get in the lobby and hallways. They spray to mask it but it comes back. The noises aren't as bad as I thought but when the walkers are going around the track above us we definitely hear it. But we won't be on board that much from now on so I don't see it as a real problem and it has really been too cool for anyone to spend too much time up there.

The staff are excellent and very helpful. They keep us informed and on schedule. The room is kept clean and towels replaced often. Overall, things are still above my expectations.

I would like to see more choices of Tv stations and sports channels, the one ESPN has not worked yet. Wifi is still slow but expected that.

Tomorrow, Vienna.

Just got in from the optional tour concert, opera, and dancers at a very nice concert hall. The chamber orchestra was led by a lady playing a 1724 Stradivarius. The concert was a little pricey for "taste concert" that charged 5 euro for a program also. However the musicians and artists were excellent and a person really gets the feel of Vienna. I'm more of a country music fan but my brother is a classical music type of guy and he was very impressed. I was too but I coulda used a little Garth Brooks.

The day started with the included tour at 0830. You can get on a bus tour and short walk or opt for a walking tour the whole way with a ride to the city center on the subway. About 14 of us took the latter and I think we made the right decision. The weather was a little cool but we really got the feel of the city as we rode the Underground to the Opera district and the tour began. We used the provided receivers therefore we did not need to stay too close to the guide and were able to roam around enjoying the sights. We worked our way to the "old city" where the government buildings and 17 and 18th century palace of the Hapsburg kings is located. It is a massive complex that takes up a large part of the inner city. The tour ended in from the the St Stephen Cathedral and we had free time. We could go back to boat for lunch or stay and go on our own. We stayed and went to eat at the Cafe Hapsburg next to the palace and took the Palace Tour of emperor Joseph Ferdinand and his wife Elizabeth of the late 1800s. We then went shopping and walked back to the Socher Hotel and had Socher cake and coffees. We had lots of coffees everywhere. Great coffee.

What can You say about Vienna? Beautiful, classic, artsy, clean, kinda laid back and a great place to people watch or lay around in a park. My second favorite major city after Rome that I have visited in my life so far. I am going to Paris next week so we will see if it stays that way. The city was easy to walk around and find your way. The subway system was easy to manage. A day is just not enough for Vienna but we walked a lot to see as much as we could. We got back to the boat in time for dinner and a change of clothes for the concert and then off again at 730 pm. Back to the boat by 1015. I suppose I could go out again but we are bushed. They had some snacks waiting for us when we arrived and the always available coffee machine is our friend.

The earlier problem of the methane smell seems to have been fixed. I haven't noticed it today.

We have been lucky enough to get the only 4 person table in the dining room for several meals now and the waiter knows us by name and takes good care of us well. You have to get to the front of the line waiting for the dining room to get the table you want but I think most people are settling in to areas that they like. Just know that there is only the one 4 person table. The rest are 6 or 8 and people fill in where they can get a table. We all eat at the same time unless going on a later tour.

I really don't have any complaints about Viking. They are extremely efficient and take care of business. The food is adequate but not 5 star. The wine provided flows freely during lunch and dinner. It is also adequate but I do miss my Napa Valley Rutherford Hills.

Dnkram - Thanks so much for taking the time to "bring us along" on your cruise. I'm enjoying the commentary very much. Your experiences are sounding very similar to those of ours, last spring, on Avalon along the same route. Am I understanding you correctly that Viking is providing complimentary wine/beer at both lunch and dinner? We only received the "free" wine/beer at dinner on Avalon last year. There was also a nearly-hidden bottle of champagne available at breakfasts, as well. Also, I know exactly what you mean about the seating arrangements at dinner. Certainly not as "elegant" as what the pictures in the brochures would infer. The doors swing open, and the "Hoards of Europe" would swarm in! :p We rather preferred to "eat alone" and there was just one single table for two to be had, right inside the entrance door. Needless to say, we always made sure that we were "first in line" when those doors opened each evening. I understand all the reasons/limitations - but it was a bit "off-putting". Hope you continue to have a wonderful cruise. And as you correctly describe, "the food was adequate but not 5-star". Best Regards.

Dnkram - Thanks so much for taking the time to "bring us along" on your cruise. I'm enjoying the commentary very much. Your experiences are sounding very similar to those of ours, last spring, on Avalon along the same route. Am I understanding you correctly that Viking is providing complimentary wine/beer at both lunch and dinner? We only received the "free" wine/beer at dinner on Avalon last year. There was also a nearly-hidden bottle of champagne available at breakfasts, as well. Also, I know exactly what you mean about the seating arrangements at dinner. Certainly not as "elegant" as what the pictures in the brochures would infer. The doors swing open, and the "Hoards of Europe" would swarm in! :p We rather preferred to "eat alone" and there was just one single table for two to be had, right inside the entrance door. Needless to say, we always made sure that we were "first in line" when those doors opened each evening. I understand all the reasons/limitations - but it was a bit "off-putting". Hope you continue to have a wonderful cruise. And as you correctly describe, "the food was adequate but not 5-star". Best Regards.

Yes, local wines and beer are free at lunch and dinner times. They are quick to fill your glass. Other times the bar is open to all drinks for a charge. We were also given a bottle of sparkling wine when we initially boarded. I had bought several bottles of wine in Bupapest so we are well stocked and served.

We are now traveling through the beautiful Wachua Valley and listening to the program director as he describes the towns and villages, as well as the history of the area. We just passed the area described in the big battle in Tolstoy"s War and Peace. I'm glad I read that book last year.

:(Also, I know exactly what you mean about the seating arrangements at dinner. Certainly not as "elegant" as what the pictures in the brochures would infer. The doors swing open, and the "Hoards of Europe" would swarm in! :p We rather preferred to "eat alone" and there was just one single table for two to be had, right inside the entrance door. Needless to say, we always made sure that we were "first in line" when those doors opened each evening. I understand all the reasons/limitations - but it was a bit "off-putting". Hope you continue to have a wonderful cruise. And as you correctly describe, "the food was adequate but not 5-star". Best Regards.

This is exactly what we are not looking forward to when we cruise with Viking end of June.

Yes, local wines and beer are free at lunch and dinner times. They are quick to fill your glass. Other times the bar is open to all drinks for a charge.

Just off the Viking Aegir about 10 days ago... and not only was the wine free flowing, but the beer as well.

One thing that was very good as far as the beer goes is that we could have what was on tap - or a bottle. Unfortunately, I didn't discover the option of a bottle until *after* someone drank all the Guinness!! :D

But, I was still able to taste a number of different beers, as well an enjoy some of the more mainstay European brands. On previous cruises with other companies, you only had the option of what was on tap.

Fran

My first in depth post didn't send and I lost it, so here is the reader's Digest version. The melk Abbey is a must see but the Program Director Marek (who is excellent at his job) needs help here. Too much hurry up and wait at the beginning takes away from the free time after the tour. Not Marek's fault but this tour needs more staff involved. Otherwise, a great day. On the way to Passau tomorrow.

Sorry I have been behind on my duties. Passau was an enjoyable day. after the provided tour, we walked the town on our own and enjoyed beautiful day. I suggest that one gets away from the tourist area and find where the locals dine and drink. You will get the taste better and enjoy all the more. The same with Regensburg. It is not that far a walk to get off the beaten path and be near the locals. We ate lunch in Regensburg at the old brewery restaurant Nettinger west of the main shopping area. No English speaking waitresses or menus for that matter. The food was excellent and the atmosphere was very German. The adventure was trying to fit in and be German. I can't remember the name of the dish but it was a combination of beef, pork, sausage , sauerkraut , and some type of starchy ball that I can't quite describe as anything else, but the dish was great and so was the beer. The price was very reasonable.

Our weather has been superb and we have been lucky to be able to walk and shop and sight see at our leisure. The shops in Regensburg are nicer and better quality than Passau so wait if you can.

I want to speak of Marek our program director again. I left my iPhone on the bus after leaving Regensburg for Kelheim. I mentioned this to Marek and he immediately called the bus driver and had him go back and check the bus. They found the phone and are now making plans to get the phone to Nuremburg where we end tomorrow. This going on while Marek is trying to prepare for end of tour preparations. He actually came in to the dining room during dinner to assure me not to worry, that it had been found and was being taken care of. I must say That the customer service on this tour has been outstanding.

If I have anything negative to say it is that I should have done more homework on the average age of the passenger. I would say on this tour 65-75 is the average. Being 49 I have felt a little below the norm and a bit out of place. Although I have found the other passenger quite charming and very friendly, I have felt like I have been at my mother's high school reunion at times.

Viking has been a class act and attentive to each need. I will definitely recommend them to the appropriate age group and will suggest they market to a slightly younger crowd for some of their cruises.

Nuremberg tomorrow.

Dear Dnkram

Just wanted you to know that we disembarked your ship (the Idun) on May 11 in Amsterdam after sailing on her for 2 weeks Budapest to Amsterdam. This was a total surprise to us because our documents said the Embla (and everyone else's documents). A "story" was told to us that in March, Viking decided to sail the Embla on 7 night cruises and the Idun would take over the 14 night sailings. This was done on our first night - after we could not find the Embla in Budapest to board her! We were on a Viking sponsored bus from our pre-cruise in Prague and neither the driver nor guide was told of the change for our April 27 sailing. No mention of the "change" was sent to us in our documents nor was the Prague crew advised of the change. t was all downhill from there. No air-conditioning 2 full days, plus one day when everyone had to get off the ship for the day so they could put it into drydock in Rotterdam. If it is out of service, it certainly should be as it was not a pleasant experience. Plus the cruise director, Vlad, was not a very pleasant companion :(

Glad you have enjoyed the Embla - wish we had the opportunity to actually sail on it with your cruise director :)

Dear Dnkram

Just wanted you to know that we disembarked your ship (the Idun) on May 11 in Amsterdam after sailing on her for 2 weeks Budapest to Amsterdam. This was a total surprise to us because our documents said the Embla (and everyone else's documents). A "story" was told to us that in March, Viking decided to sail the Embla on 7 night cruises and the Idun would take over the 14 night sailings. This was done on our first night - after we could not find the Embla in Budapest to board her! We were on a Viking sponsored bus from our pre-cruise in Prague and neither the driver nor guide was told of the change for our April 27 sailing. No mention of the "change" was sent to us in our documents nor was the Prague crew advised of the change. t was all downhill from there. No air-conditioning 2 full days, plus one day when everyone had to get off the ship for the day so they could put it into drydock in Rotterdam. If it is out of service, it certainly should be as it was not a pleasant experience. Plus the cruise director, Vlad, was not a very pleasant companion :(

Glad you have enjoyed the Embla - wish we had the opportunity to actually sail on it with your cruise director :)

Oh my! I must say that I had heard nothing but bad news on the Idun since the day it first sailed .( about a month after we first booked it) when I first saw the Embla in Budapest on 10 May, I didn't know it was for us until the next day. I just made the assumption it was out of service; they didn't say where it was just that we had a replacement but one of the best program directors and Marek has been awesome . He brought me my lost cell phone today at lunch after I having lost in in Regensburg. He made the cruise worth it. I'm very sorry for your experience. I do believe the Idun must be cursed.

Our last full day on the boat began with breakfast and a pre-statement of charges so far. If you have been given a 200 dollar credit for an early booking don't be surprised when you pay in euros and the 200 is more like 150.

We took the optional ww2 tour and it was very informative. I only wish we had more time on the tour for the documentation tour and time at the parade grounds. We are saying in Nuremburg for a couple more nights and hope to revisit some sights. The Nuremberg court talk while sitting in the original courtroom 600 was also informative.

Now time for the pros and cons:

Pros:

The Viking crew is very dedicated and always eager to please. I have nothing but good to say about Marek the Program Director and Gilbert our waitress on most night. He learned our names on the first day and always knew us and was cheerful and talkative each day. Jana our room stewardess was very efficient and friendly.

The ship was clean and the veranda suite was plenty big enough . We loved the large shower with 2 heads.

The informative talks from Marek about his growing up in Communism were very consuming as was the European Union talks. Americans rarely hear such personal views.

The river itself is beautiful and scenic and the locks were interesting works of engineering.

The meals were mostly good and always fresh salads and fruit.

The air conditioning in our room was great and not anything like we had heard. We had a setting in both rooms and the noises were very limited.

Cons:

The time actually in ports were too short and left little time for touring and enjoying the city before we must leave for the boat. I strongly recommend the stay after or before in Budapest.

For the price paid for the veranda suite vs the next smaller room size, the were very few "extras" amenities. 1 night all rooms got chocolates on the pillows. We got the same. We also received fruits in the room and a bottle of Sparkling wine on the first day. That was it. Your paying and extra 4-5 k for the room size difference. Not sure if it was worth it.

The entertainment was sparse so be prepared to entertain yourself with the limited TV and movie channels. Thanks to Downton Abbey for keeping us busy at night.

My biggest con is my fault, not Viking. If you are younger than 60 be prepared to be out of place and feeling like the younger child at your parent's dinner party.

The seating in the dinning room for dinner needs more 4 seat tables. The battle every night for the one table was like a horse race each evening. Even comical sometimes.

Overall I'd give this cruise a B+ for effort. It shouldn't take too much to get it to A.

Lastly, we are off on our own for the next 10 days, traveling to Luzern and Paris next week before going home to Texas. I hope this blog has helped those out looking for future tour choices. I will monitor for a few days to see if there are any questions.

Dnkram - thanks for the great posts.

We would totally agree with your perspective in regards to the short time in ports. All you really get on a river cruise is a taste of each port. If you want to explore more of any of the ports....you have to go back and do a land cruise. It's kind of like going to a wine tasting. You sip a little of this and that and then buy the bottles that really intrigue you.

And we also agree with you on knowing what you are getting into on a river cruise. It's not at all like an ocean cruise. Very little night-time entertainment and typically the age of a river cruiser is much older.

We think that river cruising is suppose to be a slow paced, relaxing vacation in Europe where you sleep in the same bed, dine (usually) in the same restauran and meet many interesting new friends.

Thanks again Dnkrm for taking us on your cruise!

Dnkram - Thanks so much for "bringing us along" on your cruise. Upon completion of my first/only river cruise last year (essentially, the same itinerary as yours) I reached the same conclusions (Pro/Con) as you. I'm a bit older than you and I even felt like a "teenager" onboard! And I'm on Medicare! We also paid top price (about $5K extra) for one of the 4 largest "royal suites" onboard (Avalon) - and it was still small (258 sq ft). And I too, really didn't think it proved to be worth that much extra money. As you said, all that the extra money bought you was a few more square feet of space - with emphasis on "a few". The two of us felt like we were sleeping in a pup tent. I couldn't imagine what the smaller quarters were like. I also would have thought that staying in one of the 4 largest "suites" on the boat (and paying dearly for it) would have at least brought with it "free" laundry service and complimentary drinks 24/7 - but that wasn't the case. Our single biggest "downside" were the meals/dining arrangements. I would tell everyone to completely disregard the promotional photos which depict a lovely couple enjoying an "intimate and romantic" dinner in a serene and "elegant" venue all by themselves. That is "make believe" on a river cruise! The single cramped dining room, the single dinner time with all passengers rushing to claim a table and all being served at once, the low ceilings, the large 6 and 8 person tables, and everyone shouting to be heard over everyone else who is also shouting - is more like eating in the "chow hall" at "scout camp" (minus the food fights) than anything you would otherwise experience on a "normal" and more spacious ocean cruise. When the doors open, everyone is "rushing" for a table. The meals were "okay", but my DW actually creates nicer meals for us in our own home for far less money (("Thank-you, Dear")). I guess if you know about and accept these "realities" of river cruising before you ever go onboard, along with the smaller cabins (I wouldn't refer to them as "suites")and the cramped public areas, then you probably won't be disappointed. As the OP stated, the European cruises are very "port intensive". You will wake up in a different town/village every day and will have a limited time to see that town before it's on to the next one. I might try another river cruise at some point but I think only after I get a few more ocean cruises "under my belt". Regards.

Dear Dnkram,

We have enjoyed coming along with you on the Romantic Danube; thank you for sharing so much of your trip! In particular, thank you for the kind words about Program Director, Marek. He is truly wonderful at what he does and we’re happy to say that we’ve been hearing raves about him for years. He’s one of the many members of the Viking family that we are proud of.

We wish you happy travels as you head toward Paris in the coming week. When you return home (or sooner) if you would like to contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com and share more feedback on your cruise, we’d very much like to hear from you.

Very best,

Viking Cruises

• 4 months later...

Loved your dialogue. Felt like I was there. I am booked on this cruise in December and can't wait. I wanted to comment on your idea that you wish you would have known the age of the average passengers. I took my first Viking river cruise last December. At 54, I was at first a little concerned. Once on board, I had a great time. We met a couple my mothers age and we made quick friends. He was born in Germany and was able to tell us about the history. I loved their company. We did all tours together after meeting on the first day. I am doing the Romantic Danube cruise this December and am hoping to meet other life-long friends regardless of age.

Archived