Seasickness patch

Bunky'sDaD

Just use Bonine. You can buy it over the counter at walmart. I dont get seasick could be due to sailing all around the world in a US Navy Aircraft Carrier. However, my sister and mom do get seasick so when I heard about bonine I gave it a shot and they were fine.

I have used the TransDerm patch for every cruise and it is, honestly, a God send for me.

I can't stand on a dock or sit in a kayak without being sick for hours. Meclizine (the generic of Bonine and Less Drowsy Dramamine) and Dramamine knock me out for a good day or more, so they are out of the picture. Seabands don't work for me, and neither does ginger tablets.

If you decide to use the patches, be sure to put it on about 4 hours before boarding. Don't cut it, and wash hands well after putting it on. Some people do have adverse side effects such as very blurry vision, very dry mouth and nervousness. I have a bit of dry mouth for a day, but that is it. If you have bad side effects and seas are rough, then take it off and get some free meclizine from guest services.

Guest carlogesualdo

I discovered the source of the blurry vision. My vision wasn't so much blurry as it was that I simply couldn't see to read with my glasses on (not usually a problem - I can see to read with or without). The next morning I looked in the mirror and discovered one of my eye pupils was dilated on the side where I had the patch. That will make your vision blur.

I didn't have any other side effects from it, but I don't usually have problems with side effects from anything I take.

We just returned from the Ecstasy and spent 7/22 in Dolly's aftermath waves. I worried about seasickness for weeks and the dr. prescribed the patch. After reading literature, however, I decided against it and took Bonine. It was great with no side effects. I took one that morning before boarding ship and took one every morning and every bedtime. I don't think I needed that much...I could have just taken it at night after a couple of days, but because this was my first cruise I wasn't sure. Even though we are home this afternoon, I will continue to take it only at night for a couple of days. I can still feel the boat rocking a little, but it is a pleasant feeling because it reminds me of the wonderful time we had. On the rough seas day I took a capsule of ginger with each meal (with a full glass of water). I was never ill, although the rocking made us a little tipsy on Tuesday. Even the patch wearers experienced this, though. I'm sold on Bonine and ginger capsules.

We just returned from the Ecstasy and spent 7/22 in Dolly's aftermath waves. I worried about seasickness for weeks and the dr. prescribed the patch. After reading literature, however, I decided against it and took Bonine. It was great with no side effects. I took one that morning before boarding ship and took one every morning and every bedtime. I don't think I needed that much...I could have just taken it at night after a couple of days, but because this was my first cruise I wasn't sure. Even though we are home this afternoon, I will continue to take it only at night for a couple of days. I can still feel the boat rocking a little, but it is a pleasant feeling because it reminds me of the wonderful time we had. On the rough seas day I took a capsule of ginger with each meal (with a full glass of water). I was never ill, although the rocking made us a little tipsy on Tuesday. Even the patch wearers experienced this, though. I'm sold on Bonine and ginger capsules.

I went on a Transatlantic Cruise last year. I get seasick with rocky seas my doctor did give me the patch but she did tell me of the side effects.

After reading a simalar board like Cruise Critic found out that lots of folks use Ginger tablets. I went with Ginger Tablets and Dramamine.

If you go to your local health food store they will help you out with Ginger Tablets or capsules.

Try Bonine (meclizine), Dramamine and ginger first. For me, they don't work, but I did try them. Ginger was really bad, as it kept coming back up. I especially get sick on the tour buses and taxis, but only on the ship when the seas are quite rough. I've never had any noticeable side-effects from the Transderm (scopolamine) patches, but I'm already on several medications. Recently, I spent several weeks in the hospital after having two surgeries and multiple complications. I was quite nauseated all the time, so they kept Transderm patches behind my ear for several weeks. So, they're not just used for travel.

I am getting negitive feedback from my doctors regarding the Trans patch( seasickness patch) .

We use patches and various other forms of scopolamine all of the time with no ill effects. Lately, we been having a compounding pharmacy put scopolamine into a gel and find that real handy.

Some people do have side effects but IMO, some people have side effects to virtually everything.

I am getting negitive feedback from my doctors regarding the Trans patch( seasickness patch) .

Honestly, listen to your DR. HE/She is exactly right. I had many side affects, dizzy, blurry vision, loss of memory, and mood change was among a few of the affects I suffered.

I think it may work on some and not on all. Use the Bonine, start it 2-3 days before you leave to see how it will work with you,,,

Happy Sailing

Back in 2006, my wife & I flew to Cancun and spent a week in Playa del Carmen.

We went on a ferry ride to Cozumel and took a Catamaran ride. We took Bonine and we were OK. We are a 12 hour drive (assuming no stops in Vegas) from the nearest ocean, so we are pretty much landlubbers.

But after I mixed Bonine and the rum punch they served on the catamaran, I could hear the colors and see the sounds.

Is there such a thing as Children's Bonine or Children's Dramamine?

does anyone know how much it costs (approx)?

curious if it's worth trying ahead of time for side effects and then getting it again (if works) for actual cruise??

The patch was covered by my insurance. I got three at a time for a $20 co-pay.

Call a pharmacy...they can tell you the cost.

D.

Honestly, listen to your DR. HE/She is exactly right. I had many side affects, dizzy, blurry vision, loss of memory, and mood change was among a few of the affects I suffered.

I think it may work on some and not on all. Use the Bonine, start it 2-3 days before you leave to see how it will work with you,,,

Happy Sailing

Then drug Scopolamine in the patches should be used with care in patients taking other drugs that are capable of causing the above side effects such as sedatives, tranquilizers, or alcohol.

I will take my first cruise Sept 14 and I already have my patches, they were like $7 after the insurance paid their part for 10 patches. I get motion sickness terrible so I think any adverse effects would be far better than the seasickness. IMO.

I will take my first cruise Sept 14 and I already have my patches, they were like $7 after the insurance paid their part for 10 patches. I get motion sickness terrible so I think any adverse effects would be far better than the seasickness. IMO.

Ditto!

D.

Then drug Scopolamine in the patches should be used with care in patients taking other drugs that are capable of causing the above side effects such as sedatives, tranquilizers, or alcohol.

I'm wasn't on any other drugs while I was trying the patch so those were true side effects. I have been told that so many others have had the same side effects as I experienced.

I tried Ginger didn't work for me at all.

I am a firm believer in Scopolamine Patches.

The pharmaceutical literature provided is inclusive of every known side effect to man kind, just as they all are....... BUT caution must be exhibited when administering with your own prescription medication. Karen is correct, tranquilizers, antianxiety, diuretics could be potential harmful.

I have sailed only once without wearing the patch and that was a 32 day cruise. The evening that I felt ill (which was highly unusual for me) I took Meclizine and it worked wonders.

I have never had any side effects from the Patch. I did not watch my alcohol consumption, but then I don't usually over indulge. My normal compliment of vitamins, etc were never contraindicated with Scopolamine.

I recommend it. It is the drama evokers, undereducated, that don't understand it's derivitive and uses. If it was a serious problem the countries that sell it without prescriptions and who have much higher standards of drug testing, would not allow it on the shelves.

You must speak to your family Dr, try it, and assess for yourself. Never believe what you read on an internet site.

As my prior post suggested, the scopolamine gel worked fine since I have had trouble finding the patch.

Anyway, I was worried about my alcohol intake with the patch since I have a tendency to drink a lot on a cruise. Never had any problems with side effect (unless it was dry mouth that causes me to drink all of that beer:) )......

Archived