Questions from first-time Celebrity cruiser

HALcruiser2

Advice please...we are looking at booking a Mediterranean cruise for October 2015 to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and found an amazing itinerary on the Silhouette. I was wondering if the Concierge class is worth the added cost and thought I'd throw my question out to those of you who have previously sailed on Celebrity.

What have your experiences been?

Thanks for any advice, tips, pointers, etc. you want to give. I plan to peruse the boards and see what else I can find out about this cruise line. We're looking at booking within the next week or so.

All of the balcony cabins on the S class ships are the same size, including concierge and Aqua. You get daily hors d'oevres (or better a cheese plate) and more points in their reward system. We have done all three categories and would not spend more than $100 pp for Concierge unless it was a much better location.

I always used to sail in concierge class. Before my first cruise on an S class (that's what your ship is), I discovered that all the cabins are the same size. There was quite a difference in price. I also discovered that 1A balcony cabins had significantly larger than normal balconies. So that's what I book on S class ships. The 1A cabins are on the slant of the hump. Some face forward and some face aft. I always select one facing aft, so as not to worry about wind. If you start at the hump and work away from it, the first and third cabins will have a balcony about 3X the size of a normal balcony. The second and fourth cabins will have a balcony about 2X the normal size. The other advantage of these cabins is that they are very near the elevators, so no long walks down halls.

There are some concierge cabins in the same locations if you don't mind paying more for your cabin. The only advantage in my view is that the concierge cabins come with footstools. I've discovered that the life jackets (stored under the bed) work almost as well.

Hope you enjoy your first Celebrity cruise! Ask if you have any more questions.

Look for the biggest balcony you can afford , either aft or on the hump.Great place for a room service breaskfast.As previous poster said if it is $100. more for CC or even Aqua it is worth it.

But for me the location on the aft is the best for sailing the Med. Watching the wake from your balcony late at night is magical. but I do not get seasick and do not mind that the S class ships do not have a aft elevator. You must walk to mid ship to catch the elevator.

There is a sticky at the top of the Celebrity cruise page that can be helpful about specific cabins.

Med cruises are very port intensive. you will be off the ship in morning and not back till late afternoon. Very few sea days.

October is one of the best times to sail the Med, not as hot as summer but still warm and sunny.

Advice please...we are looking at booking a Mediterranean cruise for October 2015 to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and found an amazing itinerary on the Silhouette. I was wondering if the Concierge class is worth the added cost and thought I'd throw my question out to those of you who have previously sailed on Celebrity. What have your experiences been? Thanks for any advice, tips, pointers, etc. you want to give. I plan to peruse the boards and see what else I can find out about this cruise line. We're looking at booking within the next week or so.

AlanAllyn: All of the balcony cabins on the S class ships are the same size' date=' including concierge and Aqua. You get daily hors d'oevres (or better a cheese plate) and more points in their reward system. We have done all three categories and would not spend more than $100 pp for Concierge unless it was a much better location. [/quote']

Lots of good points made by AlanAllyn and others. As noted in the live/blog below, we did the wonderful Med on the Solstice in June 2011 and enjoyed it very much. We got upgraded to Concierge class. Nice and a few benefits. BUT, how much MORE would it be worth? For my wallet, only a little. Not too much more. Check out these postings for more info/background on these nice, Solstice-class ships, their entertainment, food options, design touches, etc. Keep rolling with your good questions. Don't be shy!! The only bad question is the one you don't ask.

Which countries and ports are you planning to visit?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 170,107 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I always used to sail in concierge class. Before my first cruise on an S class (that's what your ship is), I discovered that all the cabins are the same size. There was quite a difference in price. I also discovered that 1A balcony cabins had significantly larger than normal balconies. So that's what I book on S class ships. The 1A cabins are on the slant of the hump. Some face forward and some face aft. I always select one facing aft, so as not to worry about wind. If you start at the hump and work away from it, the first and third cabins will have a balcony about 3X the size of a normal balcony. The second and fourth cabins will have a balcony about 2X the normal size. The other advantage of these cabins is that they are very near the elevators, so no long walks down halls.

There are some concierge cabins in the same locations if you don't mind paying more for your cabin. The only advantage in my view is that the concierge cabins come with footstools. I've discovered that the life jackets (stored under the bed) work almost as well.

Hope you enjoy your first Celebrity cruise! Ask if you have any more questions.

Thank you Happy Cruiser! I am definitely going to look at the deck plans and take that into consideration as we do like to spend time on the balcony. We're excited about taking a different cruise line - makes me feel like a first-time cruiser again!

Lots of good points made by AlanAllyn and others. As noted in the live/blog below, we did the wonderful Med on the Solstice in June 2011 and enjoyed it very much. We got upgraded to Concierge class. Nice and a few benefits. BUT, how much MORE would it be worth? For my wallet, only a little. Not too much more. Check out these postings for more info/background on these nice, Solstice-class ships, their entertainment, food options, design touches, etc. Keep rolling with your good questions. Don't be shy!! The only bad question is the one you don't ask.

Which countries and ports are you planning to visit?

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 170,107 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

This particular itinerary sails from Rome and heads to Naples; Jerusalem & Haifa, Israel; Ephesus,Turkey; Mykonos & Athens,Greece; & Valetta,Malta. We've always wanted to visit Italy, Israel & Greece so this itinerary couldn't be more perfect! I am so excited...I'm ready to book it now! It'll be a long wait but for me part of the fun is the anticipation leading up to the cruise! Plus, I have so much to learn about a new cruise line! :)

Thank you Happy Cruiser! I am definitely going to look at the deck plans and take that into consideration as we do like to spend time on the balcony. We're excited about taking a different cruise line - makes me feel like a first-time cruiser again!

You're welcome. If someday I decide to sail HAL again, I hope some friendly person on that board will help me with cabin selection. I find all their classes of cabins very confusing.

This particular itinerary sails from Rome and heads to Naples; Jerusalem & Haifa, Israel; Ephesus,Turkey; Mykonos & Athens,Greece; & Valetta,Malta. We've always wanted to visit Italy, Israel & Greece so this itinerary couldn't be more perfect! I am so excited...I'm ready to book it now! It'll be a long wait but for me part of the fun is the anticipation leading up to the cruise! Plus, I have so much to learn about a new cruise line! :)

Appreciate this added info. WOW!! Super great port stops. Have not yet been to Jerusalem/Haifa or Malta. Both are on our future to-do list. Lots of experience for with Naples/Pompeii/Amalfi Coast, Athens, Ephesus, Mykonos, Rome, etc.

There are many, many options for most of these ports. Learning the ship will be fairly easy. It's the large portion of options that will be requiring careful research and planning to prepare properly for your shore excursions.

Keep rolling with your good questions. Lots of excellent help available from these CC boards.

For Athens, Greece, check out this posting with many ideas, tips and exciting visuals. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

There are over 9,200 views on this posting.

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 55,408 views for this fun posting.

come join us on the september 14, 2015 sailing...great itinerary!!

for this eurpopean cruise, we booked a cc cabin 2106 on this sailing for more points. we are elite but are close to elite plus so thought what the heck. we wanted a little deeper balcony and close to the outside deck so we can get a great view sailing in and out of ports conveniently. we have booked cabin 1A before as well on the hump (cabin 9292) and loved it when in alaska.

Have fun and take your time looking at the floor plans and reading the sticky above. will help you pick a great cabin.

Amy

You're welcome. If someday I decide to sail HAL again, I hope some friendly person on that board will help me with cabin selection. I find all their classes of cabins very confusing.

I'm sure the experienced HAL cruisers would be happy to answer your questions...I find fellow cruisers to be some of the friendliest people out there! My opinion of the HAL cabins is that they're pretty spacious with ample storage space; but I already love the fact that Celebrity gives you more options to choose from (such as upgrading to concierge service if you so desire). I'm still a little confused with all of that - the price for a concierge cabin was one price on-line, but if I chose a "regular" balcony cabin, and added concierge service, it wasn't as expensive as booking a concierge cabin from the get go. I guess it does come down to location, location, location.

It also seems like Celebrity has far more dining options to choose from (albeit for an added cost). Not sure that we'll go that route (except for the actual night of our anniversary), but I like having the option available. I'm just tickled to be going on a different cruise line. I might have to change my user name if I end up loving Celebrity as much as I think I will. :)

I'm sure the experienced HAL cruisers would be happy to answer your questions...I find fellow cruisers to be some of the friendliest people out there! My opinion of the HAL cabins is that they're pretty spacious with ample storage space; but I already love the fact that Celebrity gives you more options to choose from (such as upgrading to concierge service if you so desire). I'm still a little confused with all of that - the price for a concierge cabin was one price on-line, but if I chose a "regular" balcony cabin, and added concierge service, it wasn't as expensive as booking a concierge cabin from the get go. I guess it does come down to location, location, location.

It also seems like Celebrity has far more dining options to choose from (albeit for an added cost). Not sure that we'll go that route (except for the actual night of our anniversary), but I like having the option available. I'm just tickled to be going on a different cruise line. I might have to change my user name if I end up loving Celebrity as much as I think I will. :)

Huh? Unless Celebrity has done something I've not heard about, there is no option to add concierge service. There is a concierge on board. His/her services are available to all. Really has nothing to do with Concierge Class cabins.

We sailed in a C2 on the port side deck 9 aft facing hump. Our next sailing on the Equinox we have booked a starboard 1A on deck 8 forward facing angle on the hump.

The only difference is a few things in the cabin, flowers an fruit are not worth the higher cost. For your 1st X sailing go with a standard balcony, then if you decide to continue look at the higher cost cabins to get the additional Capt Club points.

Like Linda, I have not seen nor heard of an option to addconcierge service. In the 'C' class cabins it is a cabin class not a cabin service. Yea, confusing.

Edited by wallie5446

We sailed in a C2 on the port side deck 9 aft facing hump. Our next sailing on the Equinox we have booked a starboard 1A on deck 8 forward facing angle on the hump.

The only difference is a few things in the cabin, flowers an fruit are not worth the higher cost. For your 1st X sailing go with a standard balcony, then if you decide to continue look at the higher cost cabins to get the additional Capt Club points.

Like Linda, I have not seen nor heard of an option to addconcierge service. In the 'C' class cabins it is a cabin class not a cabin service. Yea, confusing.

Hey, you left out my favorite perk for CC and above. The footstools. The expanded breakfast menu is nice, but I love the Oceanview Cafe.

Ok, I figured out what I was looking at...when you book a verandah cabin, it offers you the option to upgrade to Concierge Class for a certain dollar amount, which when you do the math, basically brings you to the listed price of a Concierge Class cabin. I thought you could book a less expensive verandah cabin and add the concierge service for a discounted price. I was mistaken. Right now the Concierge Class is $300 more pp than a Verandah cabin. Since this is a special anniversary for us we might spoil ourselves and go for the CC. Took me awhile to figure it all out, but I think I'm getting there! :)

If it's in the budget and since it's a special cruise, you could check out the S1 suites on the corner aft with large wrap around balcony. Or the S2s which are the same size room, just not on the corners. A "suite guaranty" would give you a suite for less money, you just don't choose the location -- you'd have to be ok with what you get. But..... you never know, you could get upgraded.

Enjoy your cruise whatever you get. It's a gorgeous ship and we love sailing the S class.

Ok, I figured out what I was looking at...when you book a verandah cabin, it offers you the option to upgrade to Concierge Class for a certain dollar amount, which when you do the math, basically brings you to the listed price of a Concierge Class cabin. I thought you could book a less expensive verandah cabin and add the concierge service for a discounted price. I was mistaken. Right now the Concierge Class is $300 more pp than a Verandah cabin. Since this is a special anniversary for us we might spoil ourselves and go for the CC. Took me awhile to figure it all out, but I think I'm getting there! :)

If it were me, I'd take that $600 and spend it on dinners in the specialty restaurants and maybe some great shore excursions. Remember, the cabins will be the same size.

Right now the Concierge Class is $300 more pp than a Verandah cabin. Since this is a special anniversary for us we might spoil ourselves and go for the CC. Took me awhile to figure it all out, but I think I'm getting there! :)

If it were me, I'd take that $600 and spend it on dinners in the specialty restaurants and maybe some great shore excursions. Remember, the cabins will be the same size.

Or for a very special sailing look at the Aqua level cabins which have their own dinning room, Blu. Again as Linda mentions, even with these cabins they will still be the same size. All you are really adding with Aqua is the Blu DR.

It's also possible to book one type of cabin now --- say, a veranda --- and then watch prices to look for a bargain upgrade. Prices do tend to fluctuate and often come down after final payment. lots of reports here of cruisers who were able to upgrade for very little more, I think the idea is that there has to be a small increase in cost but this is often negligible. Of course, the lower rate can't be for new bookings only, but often the standard prices do come down too.

When you book Aqua class you also have free access to the Persian Garden. Personally, on the M class I don't think it's worth it, but on S Class-- love, love those heated tile beds where you can watch the world go by. Also the sauna and steam rooms are separate and limited to AQ class passengers. You also have amazing showers and great spa products in your bathroom. And if its a special cruise, Blu is definitely worth it.

Do cabin categories higher than Aqua have access to the Persian Garden / Blu? Specifically Celebrity Class?

It's not clear to me if this is a benefit only for that cabin category or if it's that category and above. Thanks

All other categories except Aqua Class have to pay for access to the Persian Garden. I think suites might get access 1 one port day. Also, suites can use Blu on an as available basis and they pay a fee. W have seen suite guests turned away. Also I forgot to mention in my earlier post that the afternoon tea that includes amazing little sandwiches in addition to the sweets is great. It's located in the Oceanview Cafe so you can go in your bathing suit and coverup. We also love the sushi every day at 5:30 in the Oceanview Cafe. It's the perfect bite to take back to our room along with a glass of champagne on our veranda. We like the Summit so much that we are booked on the October repo cruise. It's our first repo and we cant wait.

All other categories except Aqua Class have to pay for access to the Persian Garden. I think suites might get access 1 one port day. Also, suites can use Blu on an as available basis and they pay a fee. W have seen suite guests turned away. Also I forgot to mention in my earlier post that the afternoon tea that includes amazing little sandwiches in addition to the sweets is great. It's located in the Oceanview Cafe so you can go in your bathing suit and coverup. We also love the sushi every day at 5:30 in the Oceanview Cafe. It's the perfect bite to take back to our room along with a glass of champagne on our veranda. We like the Summit so much that we are booked on the October repo cruise. It's our first repo and we cant wait.

I have never been charged to eat in Blu when in a suite. I have also never been turned away. That might vary ship to ship, though...

• 2 weeks later...
It's also possible to book one type of cabin now --- say, a veranda --- and then watch prices to look for a bargain upgrade. Prices do tend to fluctuate and often come down after final payment. lots of reports here of cruisers who were able to upgrade for very little more, I think the idea is that there has to be a small increase in cost but this is often negligible. Of course, the lower rate can't be for new bookings only, but often the standard prices do come down too.

I got lucky this week, and snagged an upgrade to AQ for only $80pp over my 2B price for my cruise in 4 weeks. When my TA tried to do the upgrade online, the system wanted to remove all of my promotions (123, on-board booking bonus) but the fare was not marked as a special, so she had to call Celebrity and they agreed to do it. The fare went away after that; now they have a fare $10 higher, but it's only for residents and 55+, which would not have worked with my booking. So you need to be diligent and get lucky.

Now, I should add that I only booked in February, at which point prices had already come down somewhat from the original prices.

Edited by MisterBill99