Heads up. New virus reported in Caribbean

jerseygirlinAZ

• 2 months later...

After reading updates on Chikunguya I thought that I would come over to the DR board and see what folks are saying on the subject. Nothing to read though and this thread was started over 2 months ago. Very interesting to me.

We were there two weeks ago, and decided to stay on the ship. We didn't want to take the risk.:(

What ports did your ship visit? Did you stay on board at other ports as well? We're there many other cruisers on board on port days? Just curious. :)

It surprises me that there hasn't been more discussion on this board, because the DR newspapers are talking about it; it's been extremely serious there for some time. Here's a link to one of the English-language papers: http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/search?q=Chikungunya

I was beginning to think that I was the only one wondering why there is really no mention about something so prevelant and relevant.

Fear mongers having a field day.

Plenty of things to catch in the US as well.

Carry bug spray with DEET.

I wouldn't stay on the ship out of paranoia.

AHHHHH! Bugs with virus! Muggings! Crazy taxi drivers! Food poisoning! Agressive tour & souvenir sales people! Should I vacation in my own backyard in a screened in porch?

Be cautious, use wisdom, take preventative measures and RELAX!

Virus is on the decline anyway, many have zero symtoms and most people are building an immunity.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2014/7/31/52299/Chikungunya-cases-declining-in-Dominican-Republic

Edited by brianosaur

Fear mongers having a field day.

Plenty of things to catch in the US as well.

Carry bug spray with DEET.

I wouldn't stay on the ship out of paranoia.

AHHHHH! Bugs with virus! Muggings! Crazy taxi drivers! Food poisoning! Agressive tour & souvenir sales people! Should I vacation in my own backyard in a screened in porch?

Be cautious, use wisdom, take preventative measures and RELAX!

Virus is on the decline anyway, many have zero symtoms and most people are building an immunity.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2014/7/31/52299/Chikungunya-cases-declining-in-Dominican-Republic

I carried bug spray with me but I don't think that it helped me in my bag:) Just couldn't get myself to use it during my 3 weeks in the Caribbean this year. I even knew the recommendations. I'm glad to hear the number is decreasing in the DR. Last I read 250,000 were sickened by it.