Info for non-Aussies about carry-ons on domestic flights

Plant

Just FYI for those of us who are used to the US flight rules:

On domestic flights in Australia you can carry on all kinds of liquid and gels, but you cannot take nail scissors that are in a case, in a pouch, in a locked carry-on bag on a one hour flight from Sydney to Brisbane.

Since we'd already paid $40.00 AUS for an "extra" bag, I wasn't about to check a nail case for another $40.00 AUS, so my little nail scissors are now the property of Australia :D !

If you have anything close to sharp, put it in your checked bag.

On domestic flights in Australia you can carry on all kinds of liquid and gels, but you cannot take nail scissors that are in a case, in a pouch, in a locked carry-on bag on a one hour flight from Sydney to Brisbane.

Since we'd already paid $40.00 AUS for an "extra" bag, I wasn't about to check a nail case for another $40.00 AUS, so my little nail scissors are now the property of Australia :D !

Could be an urban myth, but I once heard that a little old grannie lost her knitting needles.:eek:

Edited by By The Bay

Could be an urban myth, but I once heard that a little old grannie lost her knitting needles.:eek:

No Myth.

I work in a building where you have to pass through security, some of the blokes also work airport security on weekends, it happens.

In fact one day at work I was talking to a lady who was complaining that at the building I work at they took her knitting needles.

There are restriction on liquids and gels as far as the amount you have.

Yes they will take knitting needles off you and I had a friend who put

two lighters in the tray and they took one off her, don't know whether

they thought she could start a bomb or what?:confused::confused:

dizzy1948- thanks for the link. I read it, and am still a little confused. The International rules sound identical to our rules (for both domestic and international flights)here in the US, so no problem. However, it says these rules apply to the "domestic leg of an international flight". We will be arriving in SYD, spending 3 nights in SYD, then flying to PER. That wouldn't be a "domestic leg of an international flight", it is a separate, totally domestic itinerary ( a separate booking, even).

Not too big a deal, as we will comply with the international flight standards, as we are quite used to them. As long as the domestic standards aren't more restrictive, all will be fine.

dizzy1948- thanks for the link. I read it, and am still a little confused. The International rules sound identical to our rules (for both domestic and international flights)here in the US, so no problem. However, it says these rules apply to the "domestic leg of an international flight". We will be arriving in SYD, spending 3 nights in SYD, then flying to PER. That wouldn't be a "domestic leg of an international flight", it is a separate, totally domestic itinerary ( a separate booking, even).

Not too big a deal, as we will comply with the international flight standards, as we are quite used to them. As long as the domestic standards aren't more restrictive, all will be fine.

Our trip was booked the same way. The domestic flight was separate. I had an open bottle of water they didn't even look at. If you're flying Qantas domestic there's also a luggage allowance of one piece of checked luggage under 50 lbs and the only carry on you're allowed without paying the $40.00 charge is a purse or briefcase. We paid $40.00 for one bag we would be allowed to carry on in the US. We were told it was a "safety measure" so that nothing would fall out of the overhead bins onto passengers. Yet, if we'd booked that leg along with our international flight we wouldn't have had to pay the extra.

In watching the other passengers I noted that most were apparently business people who were flying with just a purse and computer case or briefcase. There was almost nothing in the overhead bins.

It made no sense, but airline policies usually don't :D!

If you're flying Qantas domestic there's also a luggage allowance of one piece of checked luggage under 50 lbs and the only carry on you're allowed without paying the $40.00 charge is a purse or briefcase.

Not true.

Qantas domestic carry-on is

"All Classes:

2 x 105cm (41in) bags or

1 x 105cm (41in) bag plus 1 x 185cm (73in) non rigid garment bag or

1 x 115cm (45in) bag"

Plus

"In addition to your carry-on baggage allowance, you may also carry on board one small personal item such as a handbag, laptop computer*, overcoat, small camera, a reasonable amount of reading material or a small amount of duty free goods (where permitted)."

I flew Sydney to Cairns recently with a handbag and a wheelie carry-on.

Just a thought though - the maximum carry-on size in Australia, known here as a domestic carry-on, is smaller than what we call international carry-ons. I believe the allowable size in the US is the our international size which is why you are allowed to take it on board if you are travelling onward after landing from an international flight, but not if you are on a separate domestic flight. Hope that makes sense.

The International rules sound identical to our rules (for both domestic and international flights)here in the US, so no problem. However, it says these rules apply to the "domestic leg of an international flight". We will be arriving in SYD, spending 3 nights in SYD, then flying to PER. That wouldn't be a "domestic leg of an international flight", it is a separate, totally domestic itinerary ( a separate booking, even).

You might have a problem on that separate domestic flight, CruiserBruce.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Not true.

Qantas domestic carry-on is

"All Classes:

2 x 105cm (41in) bags or

1 x 105cm (41in) bag plus 1 x 185cm (73in) non rigid garment bag or

1 x 115cm (45in) bag"

Plus

"In addition to your carry-on baggage allowance, you may also carry on board one small personal item such as a handbag, laptop computer*, overcoat, small camera, a reasonable amount of reading material or a small amount of duty free goods (where permitted)."

I flew Sydney to Cairns recently with a handbag and a wheelie carry-on.

I haven't flown for a few years, but that's how it has always worked, I am certain my Daughter took a wheelie bag as carry on when she flew a few weeks back. Because she'd still be going off if they didn't let her.

And so you should be confused when given an international travel link when discussing Domestic:D The liquid limits do not apply to Australian Domestic travel.

There are restrictions on domestic flights with liquids dependent on airline policy due to unsecured cabin load limits and flooding but you can carry on your liquids through security and onboard with hand luggage on all domestic flights.

If you are bringing duty free bottles into Australia you can pass domestic security ( our TSA) with the bottles and they dont even have to be in a sealed bag.

Our liquid limits our different to most of the western world where we are allowed to carry liquids on Domestic flights but not international flights, this is true at most but i am sure you will get the odd poster who will bring up something out of the norm.

Fruit and Honey restriction are big and there can be hefty fines for bringing in fruit or honey from one state to another, you can get onboard with them but they have sniffer dogs looking for them at the other end;)

Just like USA with "most" international flights you must do airport customs and immigration at your first point of entry which is your first stop. After that it doesnt matter if its one hour or 3 days after your international flight you become Domestic and liquid limits no longer apply.

Some international flights into Australia first stop at say Sydney then carry on to Melbourne, the syd to melb second leg is not classed as domestic re liquid limits and still classed as part of the international flight.

Apart from liquids pat downs and ID at the ready Australian domestic travel at TSA is the same as US, shoes off belts off no metal, laptop out and everything in a basket through the machine.

You dont need a boarding pass or ID to go through Australian domestic airports version of TSA.

"Some international flights into Australia first stop at say Sydney then carry on to Melbourne, the syd to melb second leg is not classed as domestic re liquid limits and still classed as part of the international flight".

This is what happened to us.

Jetstar cancelled our flight back from a cruise, and put us on an International flight. They did not warn us and confiscated our duty free alcohol. If they had warned us, we could have put it in the checked in luggage.:mad:

We complained to the airline, and were reimbursed the cost of the alcohol, and the taxi ride to the International terminal, and received a $50 voucher.:)

Edited by Aussie FF

Apart from liquids pat downs and ID at the ready Australian domestic travel at TSA is the same as US, shoes off belts off no metal, laptop out and everything in a basket through the machine.

You dont need a boarding pass or ID to go through Australian domestic airports version of TSA.

Agree with all you say but it is not compulsory to remove your shoes, as it is in the US. They only get you to remove your shoes if you set off the scanner alarm.

Much prefer the Xray type scanners - so much easier, especially for dw with the artificial knees.

Agree with all you say but it is not compulsory to remove your shoes, as it is in the US. They only get you to remove your shoes if you set off the scanner alarm.

Much prefer the Xray type scanners - so much easier, especially for dw with the artificial knees.

I just remove my shoes now without being asked! some of my shoe made by Diesel Industries are a sports type shoe that contain a small metal sprung plate in the sole for support.

Last trip to USA in June every domestic flight we were directed to the TSA fast lane where you dont need to remove anything:)

I travel with carry on luggage only unless going on a big OS trip.

Always take a roll on as you call them and a handbag. They are getting more strict with the measurement and size of those carry ons. True the size you are allowed in the USA is much bigger than here in Aus. The airlines vary, some allow one carry on plus handbag, others 2 but still with a max weight of 10kg total hand luggage. The liquid situation does not apply for domestic. I often take a couple of bottles of soft drink if it fits in my bag and I don't have the time or inclination to go shopping before boarding.

Also aussie airlines do vary a little in their carry on dimentions. I am flying to my next cruise with tiger and back with Jetstar. there is a 2 cm difference between the length allowed. If the staff are having a bad day they can be very pedantic so get onto the website check domestic hand luggage allowance to be sure you meet the requirements.

The domestic airlines here are Tiger, Jetstar, Qantas and Virgin. plus some regional airlines.

Tiger in Melbourne does not allow anyone to go through into the departure area unless you are a passenger. Have to say goodbyes at the security screening area, cant remember about other airports what thetiger situation is.

I think they should reduce the size of carry on luggage! some peoples carry on is larger than my checked in luggage:rolleyes:

Since cheap airlines started to charge for checked in luggage way too many wheel big luggage onboard and take up all the overhead storage:mad:

When i come across a large carry on in my overhead locker I turn it sideways so i can fit my stuff in, when the staff come along to close the hatch its usually sticking out so they have to remove it;):D:D:D

If it doesnt fit in your portion of the overhead locker then it shouldnt be allowed onboard.

If they policed the test frame that are at most gates it would solve a lot of the problem. However when planes have a very short turn around time, the crew have to weigh up turning a blind eye to that slightly bigger bag vs the time and paperwork involved in the luggage being rejected as hand luggage and having to be processed as checked baggage.

Years ago overseas I was able to check in my hand luggage along with checked luggage to avoid having to carry it to the plane for international flights, I expect these days they would probably charge for that too.

My issue is having to walk half way down the plane to find somewhere to put my hand luggage as the area around my seat has already been taken by those extra large bags of those sitting not near me. Always happy to have it above me but not half way down the plane, perhaps I should start putting a lock on my hand luggage even when doing domestic flights which I haven't bothered about in the past.

No urban myth. My mum had her knitting with her a few years ago and they pulled the needles right out and kept them. Talk about dropped stitch! :p

Yet, if we'd booked that leg along with our international flight we wouldn't have had to pay the extra.

Your domestic flight probably would've been cheaper if ticketed as part of your international flight as well. You would've only paid taxes for the domestic sector, no actual fare on top of your international fare. :)

No urban myth. My mum had her knitting with her a few years ago and they pulled the needles right out and kept them. Talk about dropped stitch! :p

LOL - ROFL - knit none - purl none

Edited by dizzy1948