Stavenger Norway - Beaches

We are taking a cruise this July/August thorugh the Norwegian Fjords and one of the stops is in Stavenger. We don't have time to hike Pulpit Rock so we are going to tour Stavenger and have a relaxing day. Has anyone gone to the beaches near Stavenger? if so, is it easy to get there?

We are a family of 4 and do not want to go to the nude beaches! Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi

I don't know so much about Stavanger, but i think i can help you in the right direction. Right outside Stavanger centrum you can find one of the best sandy beaches in Norway. http://www.regionstavanger.com/en/Product/?TLp=40121&Sola-Beach=

Its located very code to the airport, so i guess the cost of a taxi from centrum is affordable. The beach is "free entry" for everyone and I guess you will have to bring most of the things you need during the day. There is also a hotel at the entry, so you can eat a nice lunch there if you like.

Even if its a popular beach, the water can be cold and quite rough, since the beach is "unprotected" from the open ocean. Because of the possible rough seas, its one of the best places for surfing in norway.

Good luck

Trotto

I lived in Stavanger in the 70's and the 90's. I returned via cruiseship two years ago. The beach in Sola is beautiful BUT it is not for swimming!!!! The water is too cold!!! We used to take our kids into the mountains so they could swim in the little streams and lakes. When we lived in Stavanger we had a joke about summer...it only comes one day in August!!!! Many summers were known as green winters. I love Stavanger and wished I still lived there...but the beautiful beaches are just to look at!!!!

I lived one year aprox one hour with ferry away from Stavanger, and yes, Sola beach is gorgeous. But as everyone else is saying: It is cold!!!!

The hotel Trotto is mentioning is called Sola Stand Hotel. Great summer buffet there, but as everywhere in Norway: Expensive!

Granny: That DAY in August? What about the hour that day in August? You better not oversleep the norwegian summer:)

When I lived at the west coast, we had three months with rain. Not the whole time, but some rain EVERY day... Miss the nature though.

Jpser05: How old are your children? What day of the week will you be visiting Stavanger? Once I know this I can give you some guidance. Taxi's are NOT cheap compared to American taxis....nothing is cheap in Norway.... I still love Norway and will gladly pay to see and enjoy! BTW Norway is very child friendly.

Granny Di,

My boys are ages 11 and 8 and like to be active. We are in port for 8 hours so it is not quite enough time to hike Pulpit Rock. Recommendations for other hikes or places to see is greatly appreciated.

I'm going to suggest things we did when we arrived on the QM2 two years ago in June. Your ship will dock near Old Stavanger. We walked directly to the outdoor market and bought a pint of fresh strawberries. There is nothing in this world like a Norwegian strawberry. We walked for hours. We made a stop at the Petroleum Museum. My husband is an oil "pioneer" so he was interested in the museum. Look it up on google as they have a kids program. We stopped for lunch and had fiske soup and french bread. You don't need a map as the harbour will always be near you. My kids loved melksjolade and soft is ice cream...so after walking for hours they received a special treat. You will also need a plan B as it can really rain in Stavanger...that's why the flowers are so beautiful. I always walked everywhere when I lived in Stavanger....only took the bus when it rained. You can get a bus to almost any part of Stavanger from the market. You can look up the schedules on the internet. I would use the bus for a plan B. We never took our kids to Pulpit Rock and they weren't interested when they visited as adults...

Hi

Even if its a popular beach, the water can be cold and quite rough, since the beach is "unprotected" from the open ocean. Because of the possible rough seas, its one of the best places for surfing in norway.

Good luck

Trotto

I did not know there was surfing in Norway! Thanks! :D:):D

I did not know there was surfing in Norway! Thanks! :D:):D

Oh. yes... for the extreme surfers norway is like a paradise - both summer and winter... be sure to bring your wet-suit... ;)

Granny Di,

Thanks so much for the suggestions. We do love strawberries.

As for surfing, we won't encourage the boys to do that, but a walk on the beach may be fun for all.

I can't remember the cab fare from the Centrum of Stavanger but would not be surprised if it wasn't $200 RT to Sola. Sola is beyond the airport. There is a very nice lake about 30 minutes walking distance from the Centrum that has hiking trails. We used to live off one of the trails. There is a small lake near the Centrum but the one I lived near was about 30 minute walk or a short bus ride. I THINK the name of the lake near our former house is Stokka. We lived in the neighborhood called Stokka. Try google to see if you can find the lake. Bus service is very good in that area.

Archived