Fire Aboard Carnival Triumph

sapper1

Cruise News

Home > Cruise News > Carnival Cruise Ship Suffers Engine Room Fire; Running on Emergency Generator Power

February 10, 2013

Carnival Cruise Ship Suffers Engine Room Fire; Running on Emergency Generator Power

(Update, 4:10 p.m. EST) -- Carnival Triumph suffered an engine room fire Sunday morning that left the ship running on emergency generator power 150 miles off the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula.

According to a 3:30 p.m. EST statement from the line, "the ship's automatic fire extinguishing systems activated and the fire was contained to the aft engine room. At this time, the fire is fully extinguished." No casualties or injuries have been reported.

As of 3:30 p.m. EST, the 2,758-passenger vessel was without propulsion. "The ship's technical crew is continuing to assess the damage and attempting to restore power," said the line in the statement. "In the meantime, a tugboat is being dispatched to the ship's location in the event it is needed."

All appropriate authorities, including U.S. Coast Guard, have been notified.

According to Carnival, there are 3,143 passengers and 1,086 crew on the ship, which left Thursday from Galveston on a four-night Western Caribbean cruise. All passengers have been asked to remain in Triumph's public areas and open decks. They are being provided with food and refreshments.

Passengers on the current voyage will receive a full refund inclusive of gratuities and any transportation expenses.

Carnival says it has reached out to passengers on the next voyage, originally scheduled to depart Monday, which will now be delayed. Passengers have the option of cancelling now and receiving a full refund or waiting for further information to determine if a shortened, partial voyage may be possible. Stay tuned.

Several Cruise Critic readers, including Clinty76, whose wife and mother-and-law are onboard, tipped us off to the news.

A fair amount of mishaps lately.

There is a USN minesweeper that ran a aground on a coral reef in the Philipines.

Towing it off will damage the reef so the US Navy has apparently decided to cut her up in pieces instead. Perhaps her Captain and the Concordia Captain had the same training.

There were fatalities on a Thomson ship today. A lifeboat dropped into the ocean and several crew members were killed.

This one is coming back to bite Carnival. This ship has been hobbling along for several weeks with propulsion problems. Carnival should have pulled the ship from service and fixed the issues. Not only will this cost Carnival major bucks in getting these people home, refunds to the current passengers plus the cost of canceled future cruises......they will also deal with the major publicity of another Carnival Corporation mishap.

This will cost us all due to tightening up the budgets. I'm glad that no one was hurt and hopefully will arrive home safe.

This one is coming back to bite Carnival. This ship has been hobbling along for several weeks with propulsion problems. Carnival should have pulled the ship from service and fixed the issues. Not only will this cost Carnival major bucks in getting these people home, refunds to the current passengers plus the cost of canceled future cruises......they will also deal with the major publicity of another Carnival Corporation mishap.

This will cost us all due to tightening up the budgets. I'm glad that no one was hurt and hopefully will arrive home safe.

It won't hurt them; Destiny was probably the most unreliable cruise ship for years and she always sailed packed. They are now renaming her (Sunshine) and adding an extra deck to get more life out of her.

Very glad no one was injured and the suppression system worked as planned!

What's your point? Carnival fills their ships but at what price? They are cheap.

This is another huge black eye for the cruise industry. We continue to see cuts made right here on HAL. Carnival Corp paid out a lot due to Concordia and there is still more coming with that issue. Add to that the Costa Allegra engine room fire last year that sent that ship to the scrap yards. It all starts adding up to a company that is self insured in this area.

It won't hurt them; Destiny was probably the most unreliable cruise ship for years and she always sailed packed. They are now renaming her (Sunshine) and adding an extra deck to get more life out of her.

Very glad no one was injured and the suppression system worked as planned!

We were booked to sail Destiny when she was a brand new ship. She arrived many hours late to Boston where we were to board, we finally went aboard at about 3 A.M., woke the next morning to see she never sailed. That cruise was cancelled and we all went home.......... this is going back at least 10 years or more. So, Destiny hasn't trouble free even back to new ship.

I have posted that whole story before on this board.

What's your point? Carnival fills their ships but at what price? They are cheap.

This is another huge black eye for the cruise industry. We continue to see cuts made right here on HAL. Carnival Corp paid out a lot due to Concordia and there is still more coming with that issue. Add to that the Costa Allegra engine room fire last year that sent that ship to the scrap yards. It all starts adding up to a company that is self insured in this area.

I misinterpreted your post initially and thought you were saying this will cause bookings to fall severely. That won't happen if history follows form.

But it is indeed a major expenditure; insurance though saves them probably.

I misinterpreted your post initially and thought you were saying this will cause bookings to fall severely. That won't happen if history follows form.

But it is indeed a major expenditure; insurance though saves them probably.

Yes, they likely have insurance but what happens to premiums when there are many incidents?

We were booked to sail Destiny when she was a brand new ship. She arrived many hours late to Boston where we were to board, we finally went aboard at about 3 A.M., woke the next morning to see she never sailed. That cruise was cancelled and we all went home.......... this is going back at least 10 years or more. So, Destiny hasn't trouble free even back to new ship.

I have posted that whole story before on this board.

Wow! I sailed on Triumph, my only Carnival cruise, in 2002. It was definitely not my cup of tea but never do I want to see a ship hobbled. She is being towed to Progresso and won't arrive until Wednesday.

If anyone has an updated status on the Triumph, I would appreciate the info. Thanks!

She is being towed to Progresso, will arrive Wednesday and guests will be flown home from there. At least the next two cruises have been cancelled.

She is on emergency generator, so guests will have limited amenities to say the least.

She is being towed to Progresso, will arrive Wednesday and guests will be flown home from there. At least the next two cruises have been cancelled.

She is on emergency generator, so guests will have limited amenities to say the least.

That's bad news. I feel badly for those who waited anxiously for their cruise to have it taken from them this way.

Of course, best news is it seems no one has been injured.

Correction:

Guests WITH PASSPORTS will be flown home.

My friends at Carnival tell me that there are approximately 2,000 pax on Triumph who do not have passports. It is a closed loop cruise from the USA, so passports are not required.

Those 2,000 people can sit in the Yucatan for a few weeks waiting for a very expensive emergency passport - or they can ride a bus for a few days from Yucatan to the USA.

Archived