Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 20th, 2012, 01:52 PM
lnm6170's Avatar
lnm6170 lnm6170 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dinwiddie va
Posts: 245
Default cell phone straight talk ?

hello
has anyone used straight talk cell phone on a cruuise or in ports ? thinking of swithing to them but wanted to know if they will work ?
thanks
__________________



may all your curises be smooth
ccl Pride........oct 2014
ccl Pride........oct 2013
ccl Pride........oct 2012
ccl Glory........oct 2011
ccl Glory........oct 2010
ccl Triumph....oct 2009
ccl Victory......oct 2008
ccl Victory......oct 2007
RLC empress..may2007
ccl Victory......oct 2006
cclTriumph.....oct 2005
ccl Victory......oct 2004
ccl Victory......oct 2003
ccl Triumph....oct 2002
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:14 PM
golfadj's Avatar
golfadj golfadj is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 29,375
Default

Is this different from a regular cell phone? Very expensive to use one on a ship so we lock ours away in safe for the cruise.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:35 PM
cdamion cdamion is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfadj View Post
Is this different from a regular cell phone? Very expensive to use one on a ship so we lock ours away in safe for the cruise.
Can't wait to lock my cell phone in the safe. When I retire, I am locking my cell phones in Davy Jones' locker!!!!

To answer OP's question, I do not believe that any prepaid companies have contracts with the company that handles cell phones on the ship.
__________________

Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:39 PM
golfadj's Avatar
golfadj golfadj is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 29,375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdamion View Post
Can't wait to lock my cell phone in the safe. When I retire, I am locking my cell phones in Davy Jones' locker!!!!

To answer OP's question, I do not believe that any prepaid companies have contracts with the company that handles cell phones on the ship.
So that is what that means.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:50 PM
cio541 cio541 is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnm6170 View Post
hello
has anyone used straight talk cell phone on a cruuise or in ports ? thinking of swithing to them but wanted to know if they will work ?
thanks
I would doubt they work as the cellular at sea has to be able to bill your account, and with prepaid ones I don't think you can, so I am pretty sure they won't work on the cruise ship. Not sure about in ports.
__________________




Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:55 PM
<3 2 Cruise's Avatar
<3 2 Cruise <3 2 Cruise is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Memphis
Posts: 242
Default

Not sure of very much, but this I am sure of. I had my iPhone set on the proper Airplane mode, but did NOT turn off my data roaming. So when I picked up my cell phone while bored, 5 different times, I got the message about my data costing me $$$,and would quickly turn it off again. I still don't really understand what I did. But I paid $130 for this lesson. my data roaming is turned off, and my cell phone will be locked in the safe during the trip also!!!
How many margaritas is that???? LOL
__________________


Carnival Elation - 4/24/14 - Girls Cruise
Carnival Sunshine- 2/2/14
RCCL Serenade of the Seas - 9 days! 12/12/13
Carnival Elation 9/2/2013
Carnival Elation 1/31/13 PLATINUM!!!
Carnival Elation 11/26/2012
Carnival Conquest 10/7/2012
Carnival Conquest 5/6/2012
Carnival Elation 1/14/2012
Carnival Triumph 10/16/2010
Carnival Triumph 3/6/2010
Carnival Fantasy 10/13/2008
Carnival Fantasy 2/10/2007
Carnival Inspiration 11/18/2001
Grandeur of the Seas 11/29/2003
Numerous Commodore Cruises

Gayle & Bennie
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:57 PM
*Mach*'s Avatar
*Mach* *Mach* is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 56,634
Default

I believe cdaimon is right. Cellular At Sea, the company that provides the satellite link for cell phones on virtually all cruise ships, bills your carrier directly for the $2.49/minute fee and the carrier passes on the charge to you. CAS would have no means of collecting their fee if your monthly limit was exceeded.

Here's a list of the roaming partners that CAS works with at this time...

AT&T
T-Mobile
O2
Vodafone
Telcel Mexico
Smart Philippines
Rogers Wireless

__________________
Mach
I cruise, therefore I am...

Last edited by *Mach*; February 20th, 2012 at 02:58 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old February 20th, 2012, 03:00 PM
DaytonCruiser's Avatar
DaytonCruiser DaytonCruiser is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Dayton,Ohio
Posts: 2,061
Default

It wont work on the ship, but you will hold on to your phones signal longer, because it wont be able to switch over to the ship tower.

I have virgin Mobile and I love just paying $25 a month for unlimited web and texts Left contract phones in my rear view mirror years ago.

For ports,it depends on which ones you are visiting. Out the box mine will work in St Thomas and Puerto Rico, but since I have an andriod phone with a hot spot and an app called GrooVe IP, I can make free calls from anywhere in the world as long as I can find a free wifi signal.


With the new Carnival rate of $1.99 per min, its cheaper to use the phone in your room if you need to make a call home.

Last edited by DaytonCruiser; February 20th, 2012 at 03:17 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old February 20th, 2012, 03:45 PM
mclinns04 mclinns04 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by <3 2 Cruise View Post
Not sure of very much, but this I am sure of. I had my iPhone set on the proper Airplane mode, but did NOT turn off my data roaming. So when I picked up my cell phone while bored, 5 different times, I got the message about my data costing me $$$,and would quickly turn it off again. I still don't really understand what I did. But I paid $130 for this lesson. my data roaming is turned off, and my cell phone will be locked in the safe during the trip also!!!
How many margaritas is that???? LOL
Put it on Airplane mode AND turn off Push. I used mine for books and games and had no problems.
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old February 20th, 2012, 03:55 PM
MMastell's Avatar
MMastell MMastell is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Maple Plain,MN,USA
Posts: 773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Host Mach View Post
I believe cdaimon is right. Cellular At Sea, the company that provides the satellite link for cell phones on virtually all cruise ships, bills your carrier directly for the $2.49/minute fee and the carrier passes on the charge to you. CAS would have no means of collecting their fee if your monthly limit was exceeded.

Here's a list of the roaming partners that CAS works with at this time...

AT&T
T-Mobile
O2
Vodafone
Telcel Mexico
Smart Philippines
Rogers Wireless

You forgot the CDMA carriers:
Verizon Wireless
Sprint Wireless(excluding Nextel)
Alltel
US Cellular

Take care,
Mike
__________________
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one’s lifetime.” —Mark Twain, 1857
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:09 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.