Accessible excursions in Cozumel?

Hey everyone! My family booked our first cruise for this November on the Norwegian Pearl. My sister is in a wheelchair and I was just wondering what excursions would be accessible for her in Cozumel. We really want to go on possibly one of the submarine or semi-submarine excursions and if these would be easy for her to get onto... like do they have steps to get into the sub or a ladder? Could she be carried by my dad if she had to be to get on the sub? Any information would be helpful!

Hey everyone! My family booked our first cruise for this November on the Norwegian Pearl. My sister is in a wheelchair and I was just wondering what excursions would be accessible for her in Cozumel. We really want to go on possibly one of the submarine or semi-submarine excursions and if these would be easy for her to get onto... like do they have steps to get into the sub or a ladder? Could she be carried by my dad if she had to be to get on the sub? Any information would be helpful!

I have been on the submarine & I don't really think it would be possible for your dad to carry her. You are taken out to the sub in a boat & then transfer over & have to go down like a port hole. no way a person in a w/c could do. As for Cozumel there really isn't much to do there for someone in a wc. My dh & I just rented a car.......volkswagon bug convertible. Threw the wheelchair in the back & drove around the island.

You have to enter the sub by a very narrow spiral staircase. No way to carry an adult or even a small child.

If you sister can transfer to a cab, that would probably be the best thing to do in that port. You will not find accessible ship's excursions. I believe there are some accessible cabs, and you can ask any of the other cab drivers about this. Someone posted something about this on one of our "Sticky" topics at the top of this forum, so you may want to check there.

In Cozumel you can hire a handicap cab with lift if you are using a power chair or scooter. One of our favorite places is Chankanaab Park, Taxi ride is about $10.00, park entrance fee is $12.00, handicap free, very wheelchair accessible. Easy path through the Mahan ruins, plus you can see and watch the Dolphins, nice sitting areas. There is also a very nice beach, pushing a wheelchair through the sand would be difficult but it isn't to far to the restaurant. At the beach there is snorkeling, kayaking, sunbathing etc.

This is a nice place to go in a wheelchair.

Hope this helps.

Karen

thanks for the info karen.

We actually went to that park but it was just too hot for hubby to stay out. We only got to go through "some" of it!

I couldn't remember the name. Definitely interesting to know there are vans with lifts in cozumel......didn't know that!

Archived