Thinking of Silversea

brazilgirl

Personally, I prefer the Spirit's itinerary. I strongly suggest that you stay at least two nights in Istanbul..three would be better. Do consider staying at the Four Seasons in the old quarter. It is an incredibly restored prison and probably the best hotel in which we've ever stayed. At night the terrace bar on the roof has views which will knock your socks off.

I also like this itinerary because of Ephesus. If you've never visited you'll be in for an amazing, absorbing, experience. All the other ports are very good too, although we've never been to Philippi....so if you do wind up choosing this cruise, please let us know how you enjoyed it.

Now for snootiness...we just haven't experienced it...ever. These are well traveled, interesting people who must not feel the need to prove anything. After all, we come together to learn, to exchange ideas and to just have fun. After almost 20 years of SS traveling...so far, so very good.

Have to add my endorsement to the Four Seasons at Sultanahmet. Not only voted one of the top ten small hotels in the world but in an absolutely perfect location for so many famous sites in the historic area of Istanbul. Same goes for any cruise that stops at Kusadasi which is the easiest port to visit Ephesus. If available sign up for the sometimes extra terrace house tour at Ephesus...incredible. Any itinerary that gets you to those ports is a good one and Silversea just makes it better.

What I liked best about the Spirit's itinerary was that Istanbul is at the beginning of the cruise. I much prefer to start a cruise with a bang. By the end of the trip, no matter how fabulous, I usually am thinking of home. We really like to schedule three nights...one to recover from travels. When we do this and take the first 24hours very easy, we are ready and raring to go. Istanbul is one of the world cities which is truly exciting..you will LOVE it.

I completely agree that you should consider taking the side tour of the Terrace Houses at Ephesus. I also suggest that you take the ship's tour as this will be your first visit. They will offer several options; take the most comprehensive one which includes the Terrace Houses and the Archeology Museum. The later has been under renovations for a long time but I believe is now open again. We saw the collection about 20 years ago and it was terrific.

What I liked best about the Spirit's itinerary was that Istanbul is at the beginning of the cruise. I much prefer to start a cruise with a bang. By the end of the trip, no matter how fabulous, I usually am thinking of home. We really like to schedule three nights...one to recover from travels. When we do this and take the first 24hours very easy, we are ready and raring to go. Istanbul is one of the world cities which is truly exciting..you will LOVE it.

I completely agree that you should consider taking the side tour of the Terrace Houses at Ephesus. I also suggest that you take the ship's tour as this will be your first visit. They will offer several options; take the most comprehensive one which includes the Terrace Houses and the Archeology Museum. The later has been under renovations for a long time but I believe is now open again. We saw the collection about 20 years ago and it was terrific.

I concur...I prefer doing the land portion at the beginning of our trip if possible. The cruise portion always has a different type of relaxation . I just found this nice article about the Four Seasons in Istanbul.

http://www.cntraveler.com/daily-traveler/2014/07/bed-bath-beyond-four-seasons-hotel-istanbul-at-sultanahmet

Brazilgirl, Just a quick note, I love Brazil, have been several times, and had a heavy heart this week.

I have been on SS about 500 days and half the time on Cloud. Love the ship and will be on it in October. Just had house guests however telling me that the ship may be tired. My last few cruises have been on Spirit and loved the wonderful restaurants; especially, Stars. Doughbums said it best. I would however recommend Wind or Cloud for a gentle unhurried time.

Love the Cloud itinerary as it skips Athens, includes Ephesus and you can easily add on more time in Istanbul. It doesn't matter which end of the trip Istanbul is on. The Seabourn itinerary does not include Ephesus - that would be the knockout factor for me right there. I have a similar choice in 2015 and have opted to go with SS based on the itinerary.

Brazilgirl, Just a quick note, I love Brazil, have been several times, and had a heavy heart this week.

I have been on SS about 500 days and half the time on Cloud. Love the ship and will be on it in October. Just had house guests however telling me that the ship may be tired. My last few cruises have been on Spirit and loved the wonderful restaurants; especially, Stars. Doughbums said it best. I would however recommend Wind or Cloud for a gentle unhurried time.

Thanks for the kind words! Brazil is a fascinating country. It was a difficult loss for Brazil , but in a way necessary. Lessons learned hopefully.

I have read some fascinating reviews and articles in travel magazines the last few days. I have learned a lot about luxury cruising and feel confident that I would be quite happy on either SS or SB.

Just to confuse things a bit , the Oceania Riveria has this itinerary:

uty2a8ej.jpg

For the price of a regular veranda suite on SS , I could get a Penthouse suite on the Riveria. The stateroom space is appealing and the look ( decor) of the Riveria is lovely. It is quite bigger than the SS and SB ships and I know that the personalized attention and pax/crew ratio and space would differ due to the size.

The Riveria 's itinerary is certainly less creative , but I have only been to Santorini and Athens , both of which I would be interested in seeing again.

Another doubt - SS has an offer for $1000 of onboard credit or an upgrade to a midship veranda stateroom rather the "lowly vista " suite. As the itineraries are very port intensive and the ships are so personal , I am wondering how much of a difference a veranda makes to all you experienced cruisers...on the big ships , we always book a large veranda to get away from the crowds.

Everyone has been so kind and helpful. I know these are ultimately personal preferences and decisions , but all the comments and opinions have been wonderful during this information gathering process!

Thanks so much!!

...I am wondering how much of a difference a veranda makes to all you experienced cruisers...
We just got off a port intensive Silver Spirit cruise through the Aegean, Ionian, and Adriatic seas. We were off the ship every single day exploring, in many cases the entire day from the time we were allowed to go ashore until we had to be back on board. We absolutely loved having our veranda and enjoyed it immensely. This was our fifth SS cruise and second in a veranda. The other three were in the lovely Vista suites.

With all that said, if I could get the suite I wanted, I would forego a mid-ship veranda upgrade and take the $1,000 OBC each an every time.

Thanks for the kind words! Brazil is a fascinating country. It was a difficult loss for Brazil , but in a way necessary. Lessons learned hopefully.

I have read some fascinating reviews and articles in travel magazines the last few days. I have learned a lot about luxury cruising and feel confident that I would be quite happy on either SS or SB.

Just to confuse things a bit , the Oceania Riveria has this itinerary:

uty2a8ej.jpg

For the price of a regular veranda suite on SS , I could get a Penthouse suite on the Riveria. The stateroom space is appealing and the look ( decor) of the Riveria is lovely. It is quite bigger than the SS and SB ships and I know that the personalized attention and pax/crew ratio and space would differ due to the size.

The Riveria 's itinerary is certainly less creative , but I have only been to Santorini and Athens , both of which I would be interested in seeing again.

Another doubt - SS has an offer for $1000 of onboard credit or an upgrade to a midship veranda stateroom rather the "lowly vista " suite. As the itineraries are very port intensive and the ships are so personal , I am wondering how much of a difference a veranda makes to all you experienced cruisers...on the big ships , we always book a large veranda to get away from the crowds.

Everyone has been so kind and helpful. I know these are ultimately personal preferences and decisions , but all the comments and opinions have been wonderful during this information gathering process!

Thanks so much!!

We were docked just across from the Oceania Riveria in Civitavecchia just a few weeks ago. Have to say externally it looked very nice but, now we've "stepped down" from the larger ships, it looked huge compared to the Wind. The other aspect is that Oceania is not all-inclusive. We've gotten real used to not having to pull out our room key every time we get a drink from bottled water to wine. If I'm reading it right Oceania charges an additional $120 per couple per day for a beverage package that gets you more or less in the same place and kind of levels the playing field for what might look like a lower fare on Oceania. It would have added $2,100+ to our recent 18-day cruise on the Wind if we'd paid extra for a beverage package. It's not that we're heavy drinkers but then again. :)

We were docked just across from the Oceania Riveria in Civitavecchia just a few weeks ago. Have to say externally it looked very nice but, now we've "stepped down" from the larger ships, it looked huge compared to the Wind. The other aspect is that Oceania is not all-inclusive. We've gotten real used to not having to pull out our room key every time we get a drink from bottled water to wine. If I'm reading it right Oceania charges an additional $120 per couple per day for a beverage package that gets you more or less in the same place and kind of levels the playing field for what might look like a lower fare on Oceania. It would have added $2,100+ to our recent 18-day cruise on the Wind if we'd paid extra for a beverage package. It's not that we're heavy drinkers but then again. :)

My husband would love the all-inclusive factor. He really likes not having to pull out the room key. Our Galapagos cruise was all-inclusive and that aspect appealed to him greatly. He is not a heavy drinker , but enjoys his relaxing beverages on occasion :) ?

I , on the other hand , don't drink. Almost at all. It is a funny thing . I will occasionally have nice cocktail or a speciality coffee . But it doesn't really factor in on our final bill. Spa treatments do though! The $1000 OBC on SS I think would be nice. Decisions , decisions.

And I have yet to discuss this all with hubby , lol. We just got back from our vacation 10 days ago and I have to wait a few days before pouncing ! :) timing is of the essence. I am gathering facts to make my presentations!

Oceania charges only for alcholic beverages. All non-alchoholic beverages, including specialty coffees are included. If you have a good TA you often get gratuities included and there are many promotions now that include free internet and OBC, depending on itinerary.

Edited by findacruise
correction

Oceania charges only for alcholic beverages. All non-alchoholic beverages, including specialty coffees are included. If you have a good TA you often get gratuities included and there are many promotions now that include free internet and OBC, depending on itinerary.

Thanks. My bad. I admit I didn't spend that much time reading the Oceania site and missed what was included and what wasn't. I have a friend from my Pentagon days who absolutely swears by Oceania and wouldn't even consider another line. Of course his idea of a drink is sweetened or unsweetened ice tea and one glass of wine at dinner. :)

Any comments as to the " Wind" and "Cloud" being called "tired" in their decor? I am also looking at the " Wind" itinerary in May as I just found our my hubby's hematology congress is the beginning of November and it might pose a problem with the end of October cruise.

I really , really like the Wind's itinerary in May . I loved Ravenna and Croatia is a place I would like to explore further. And Venice is always a winner.

Important Note: Visas are required for this itinerary.

ITINERARY

DAYDATEPORTARRIVE DEPART

MonMay4Venice, Italy11:00pm

TueMay5Ravenna, Italy7:00am8:00pm

WedMay6Zadar, Croatia8:00am2:00pm

ThuMay7Dubrovnik, Croatia8:00am

FriMay8Dubrovnik, Croatia6:00am

FriMay8Kotor, Montenegro10:00am6:00pm

SatMay9Corfu, Greece9:00am7:00pm

SunMay10Olympia (Katakolon), Greece8:00am2:00pm

MonMay11Santorini, Greece8:00am7:00pm

TueMay12Ephesus / Kusadasi, Turkey7:00am11:00pm

WedMay13Chios, Greece7:00am5:00pm

ThuMay14Istanbul, Turkey1:00pm

FriMay15Istanbul, TurkeyDisembark

Am just a teeny , tiny bit concerned about the reviews about the Wind being tired. Decor is a factor for me and I am having a hard time finding good uodated photos of the ship. And sometimes photos don't do understated luxury justice.

Any comments as to the " Wind" and "Cloud" being called "tired" in their decor? I am also looking at the " Wind" itinerary in May as I just found our my hubby's hematology congress is the beginning of November and it might pose a problem with the end of October cruise.

I really , really like the Wind's itinerary in May . I loved Ravenna and Croatia is a place I would like to explore further. And Venice is always a winner.

Important Note: Visas are required for this itinerary.

ITINERARY

DAYDATEPORTARRIVE DEPART

MonMay4Venice, Italy11:00pm

TueMay5Ravenna, Italy7:00am8:00pm

WedMay6Zadar, Croatia8:00am2:00pm

ThuMay7Dubrovnik, Croatia8:00am

FriMay8Dubrovnik, Croatia6:00am

FriMay8Kotor, Montenegro10:00am6:00pm

SatMay9Corfu, Greece9:00am7:00pm

SunMay10Olympia (Katakolon), Greece8:00am2:00pm

MonMay11Santorini, Greece8:00am7:00pm

TueMay12Ephesus / Kusadasi, Turkey7:00am11:00pm

WedMay13Chios, Greece7:00am5:00pm

ThuMay14Istanbul, Turkey1:00pm

FriMay15Istanbul, TurkeyDisembark

Am just a teeny , tiny bit concerned about the reviews about the Wind being tired. Decor is a factor for me and I am having a hard time finding good uodated photos of the ship. And sometimes photos don't do understated luxury justice.

OK.....the Wind is not as shiny as a new penny....if that translates:).....but it's no worn out dump either. I'll have to say this is not the ship for folks looking for grant sweeping staircases, marble atriums, glass bubble elevators soaring up 12 decks, two-story main dining rooms, etc. It's small, intimate, and well taken care of. I'll have to admit I was initially a bit taken back two years ago when I first stepped on her as I was used to much larger and in some ways grander ships. Now? I absolutely love the 5-star boutique hotel feel of the ship. I love the well kept and tastefully decorated spaces but they're not over the top. It's not without a strange sense of disappointment that we'll probably be in the Silver Spirit next instead of the Wind.

Edited by Randyk47

OK.....the Wind is not as shiny as a new penny....if that translates:).....but it's no worn out dump either. I'll have to say this is not the ship for folks looking for grant sweeping staircases, marble atriums, glass bubble elevators soaring up 12 decks, two-story main dining rooms, etc. It's small, intimate, and well taken care of. I'll have to admit I was initially a bit taken back two years ago when I first stepped on her as I was used to much larger and in some ways grander ships. Now? I absolutely love the 5-star boutique hotel feel of the ship. I love the well kept and tastefully decorated spaces but they're not over the top. It's not without a strange sense of disappointment that we'll probably be in the Silver Spirit next instead of the Wind.

Totally translates! I love inns and hotels with character . I love history. Shiny and new have their merits but quiet elegance and luxury is very attractive too. When we travel , we mix it up. I am wary of places that sit on the grandeur of the past without proper maintenance or updating.

Example: we stayed at a lovely hotel in Lac Annecy ( L'Abbaye de Taillores). It is a gorgeous former convent which is a true jewel. We booked one kf the rooms which had been refurbished. Very tasteful , light colored duvets , a beautiful writing desk. Stunning view. While we were there , there was an issue with hot water ( on a cold day) and they moved us to a room of the same category. It had not been refurbished. It had dark , orangish decor and was that kind of heavy atmosphere sometimes found in European hotels which have gorgeous properties but no updates. The contrast between the two rooms was striking.

I like light . The Scandavian aesthestic pleases me. Light and clean. No glass bubble elavators. But not huge on lots of dark , heavy wood and brass and dark colorsn the staterooms ( orange and brown tend to be the colors that most disturb me.).

Goodness , I sound hard to please and I am not! I am sure I would love Silversea. I just love to research a lot before making a decision! Thanks for the patience!

Thanks. My bad. I admit I didn't spend that much time reading the Oceania site and missed what was included and what wasn't. I have a friend from my Pentagon days who absolutely swears by Oceania and wouldn't even consider another line. Of course his idea of a drink is sweetened or unsweetened ice tea and one glass of wine at dinner. :)

Well, we do drink more than a glass of wine with dinner! But we tend to mix it up as far as cruise lines and have done Regent, which is all inclusive and recently Silversea Galapagos,which is not comensurate, as I was told, with the normal Silversea ship experience. Itinerary is usually our 1st criteria. We have never purchased the drink package on "O" knowing that we would never spend that much a day for adult beverages.

As far as what you might receive as perks on Oceania, I think that varies from country to country. In the USA we also receive free air, but i don't know if that would apply to bookngs made in Brazil. I know UK passangers fall under different guidelines. Whatever you choose, enjoy! Research is a fun part and you have come to the right place to get information.

Well, we do drink more than a glass of wine with dinner! But we tend to mix it up as far as cruise lines and have done Regent, which is all inclusive and recently Silversea Galapagos,which is not comensurate, as I was told, with the normal Silversea ship experience. Itinerary is usually our 1st criteria. We have never purchased the drink package on "O" knowing that we would never spend that much a day for adult beverages.

As far as what you might receive as perks on Oceania, I think that varies from country to country. In the USA we also receive free air, but i don't know if that would apply to bookngs made in Brazil. I know UK passangers fall under different guidelines. Whatever you choose, enjoy! Research is a fun part and you have come to the right place to get information.

Yes , bookings are different in Brazil. I have a US address as well , since we have a house in CA. We book according to what is more beneficial to us. I am now looking at Virtuoso agents here and may go that route.

It is almost impossible to get perks with air when living in Brazil as you must leave from a major US hub . Happily, I have lots of FF miles and hoping to get some comfy seats if I am lucky . Need to define my dates and then will get to work on that part.

Looked at photos of the Wind online after the refurb and it is pretty. Really enticed by its May itinerary. There is a nice Crystal itinerary at the same time as well ... Arghh ! The more I look , the crazier I become.

Did you enjoy the Galapagos? What an amazing trip , we loved our time there. We did a week on land and stayed at some incredible haciendas , truly a highlight as well. I highly recommend Ecuador and the haciendas ( San Agustin de Callo e Rumiloma) for those who like luxury off the beaten path.

Planning is so much fun , I am already dreaming of our trip even though I am not 100 percent decided yet!

Everyone has been so helpful. I will certainly be back to SS in the future!

It looks like we have decided on a lovely itinerary at the end of May on the Crystal Serenity.u4yhy6u6.jpg

We are quite excited. It was the beat fit with DH's schedule and he loves the itinerary ( as do I).

Again , thanks for all the help!

Have a great cruise. That is a nice itinerary with some great ports. While I'm personally not all that attracted to Crystal it's more about the size of their ships than any reviews or comments I've read. Like any cruise line, including Silversea, you're going to see raves or rants so I personally just try to wade through those best I can.

There is a nice Crystal itinerary at the same time as well ... Arghh ! The more I look , the crazier I become.

Did you enjoy the Galapagos? What an amazing trip , we loved our time there. We did a week on land and stayed at some incredible haciendas , truly a highlight as well. I highly recommend Ecuador and the haciendas ( San Agustin de Callo e Rumiloma) for those who like luxury off the beaten path.

Planning is so much fun , I am already dreaming of our trip even though I am not 100 percent decided yet!

Words and pictures cannot do justice to the Galapagos. Amazing! Enjoy your cruise on Crystal. Have never cruised with them, but a lovely itineray with wonderful ports and overnights - should be a good time weather-wise and fewer crowds.

I will come back to this thread on our return and let you know what our experience was like...I absolutely see the smaller , more intimate ships in our future. I am sure the intimate atmosphere would really click with us.

But , Crystal is smaller than most of the ships we have sailed and I am excited about the theme , which is " Emerging Artists". And love the overnights. Well , need to get on the phone! Thanks so much.