planning a big family cruise....some suggestions please?

igitur

I'm new to this particular board (but certainly not to cruises) and we're in the process of planning a family cruise for next year. The ages will be two sets of grandparents in their 60's, kids in their 30's and 40's and children ages anywhere from 4 to 17.

I did a Disney Cruise with my family last year and loved it. But we're leaning more toward something else this time. We've done mostly RCCL in the past. Any suggestions for a specific line and also, timewise, would it be better to go during the kids' midwinter break or when they get out of school in June? Trying to get the best prices. We're thinking RCCL again or Princess. Any suggestions?

I know it's a lot of info. but thanks for any help you can offer!

Deb

Hi Deb. We have done a couple of "family reunion" cruises in the past. The last was on the Carnival Glory. We had a total of 26 people. We travelled to the Western Caribbean Thanksgiving week last year. We had a wonderful time and there was truly something for everyone. Weather wise, midwinter is a better time to travel to the Caribbean. By June, it is getting pretty hot. Also June starts hurricane season, so you may have that to deal with. The ship will probably be full if you are travelling during a time when the kids are out of school. Your group may be large enough to book as a group, however, there are some disadvantages to this. If you book as a group and there is a price drop on your cruise, you may not be able to take advantage of this and get a refund of the difference. If you decide to individual reservations, just make sure that the travel agent links the booking numbers w/ the cruiseline, so you all can dine together.

Whatever you decide, I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Joanne icon_biggrin.gif

11/27 Carnival Glory Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;11;27;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Carnival Glory 11/03

Sovereign of the Seas 5/01

Paradise 10/00

The Big Red Boat 5/98

Emerald Seas 3/90

igitur.... If you can do early June...the prices are not yet at their peak...because some of the country is still not out of school yet.

I would definetely recommend the summer over any time.... it is so hectic to scoot out of town when your time is so crunched. The summer will give the Moms ( icon_biggrin.gif ) a bit more time to plan/pack. The packing part is a huge job!

I had a family reunion booked on a Carnival ship....and had the opportunity to cruise Carnival with a group of ladies from my church. Upon returning home, I cancelled the reunion on Carnival. It was not where I wanted my kids to be and one of the shows was a bit X-rated for me!

I have been on Celebrity several times....it is an awesome cruiseline. Princess was good, but not on the same excellent level as Celebrity.

Good luck with your research!

Boo's Mom

Even the winds and the waves obey him!

Matthew 8:27

Another possible time to plan is over the Thansgiving week... in the past there have been deals to be had and also most will be out of school/off for part of the week. It's also a nice time for a family get-together.. yet also giving you time on land to explore on own.

Carolyn

Archived