What to wear on an Alaskan cruise

Gema

I have only ever cruised in hot weather areas before, but husband fancys trying the Sept 13th Vancouver to San Francisco Alaskan cruise on the Shadow (this was the first Silversea ship we sailed on ).

Can anyone help me with what to wear/pack for during the day ?

Also is this a more casual cruise, or are there still formal nights?

Thanks

G

We did that cruise in reverse in May a couple of years ago. Layers are what you need for the daytime and a good waterproof jacket.

There were a couple of formal nights.

Enjoy the trip; we loved it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just got back last week from a similar itinerary and layers is the way to go...and if it's anything like our weather, make sure one layer is super-duper warm! I bought gloves! We had almost all rain and it went from chilly to cold to very cold. But don't let that discourage you--the scenery and wildlife was amazing and after awhile the weather just became sort of funny. Make sure you have closed shoes--maybe work boot style--because my sneakers totally weren't cutting it and I saw one woman in sandals on a shore excursion and she must have been freezing! But, again, we're talking weather here. I've known people who've been to Alaska and had sunny 80 degree temps. In fact, I spoke with a woman who'd been on Disney pretty much following our itinerary but a day behind and they only had a little rain one day while we had it everyday. Just the luck of the draw.

Layers, gloves and a hat, hiking shoes or boots. Then if it turns out to be warmer you can take off some layers, but I have been showed on in Alaska in July. Also make sure you have a waterproof jacket. That is the one item you pretty much guaranteed to use. I wear mine as a windbreaker too.

We have sailed Alaska many times including with Silversea.

The key when it comes to Alaska is to layer your clothing because weather can change quickly, even by the hour. It can be sunny, cloudy, rainy, windy all within a few hours. September can be rainy. You just never know.

I recommend a waterproof jacket, fleece/sweater or sweatshirt, long sleeve shirts, hat, gloves, scarf, waterproof pants, a couple of pairs of shoes/sports shoes and if one is waterproof all the better.

Keith