Calling all hikers...

hockeyucf

Hi all, I did a forum search on this but only came up with limited information on hiking trails near ports of call. Sooooo..... For my own interests, I'm looking for Ketchikan and Juneau in particular, but it would be nice to have a thread compiled with hikes from all different ports. Please post the following:

1) City/Port of Call

2) Name of trail

3) Distance from port and how you got there (walked, cab, etc.)

4) Length of trail, time to complete, level (easy, moderate, strenuous)

5) Other comments/links to pictures/special features (waterfall,wildlife)

Thanks for playing! :)

Cara

In Ketchikan we did the Deer Mt. trail. The trailhead is at the SE end of town past the Totem Heritage Center off Fair Ave. If you want to save time and energy it's a $6 uphill cab to the trailhead from downtown. You can get a trail map at the Alaska Discovery Center downtown at the end of Main St. This is a 3 mile trail through lovely mossy trees and rocks, but it's steep, like being on a continual Stepmaster at the gym. Lookout points are at the 1 and 2 and 3 mile marks. We gave up at an elevation of 1300 ft, about three quarters of a mile. Got some great trail shots. No bugs or bears.

Here's a link to other trails there:

http://www.alaskaonline.org/hiking/ketchikan.php

In Juneau we took the $5 local charter bus from the dock to Mendenhall Glacier, runs every half hour. When you get to the Visitor’s Center you can get some nice shots of the glacier right from the short “Photo Point Trail”, or take several other trails. Here’s a link to the trails map on the Net: http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/map.html or you can buy one at the Center for a few bucks. There are rangers there to explain everything.

We had great luck with the weather, no rain while we were at Mendenhall. You’ll see a waterfall to the right of the glacier, and there is an unofficial trail to it which other cruisers have explained, where you can get some great shots, very close to the glacier. Halfway down the Photo trail you’ll see a waist high V in the rocks. On the other side of the trail you’ll see an unmarked trail going into the forest. About 20 yards further you’re out of the forest near the glacial lake, and if the lake level is low enough, you can step across little pools using stepping stones, get to the lake shore, and walk up to the waterfall. The ranger said the lake was higher than he’d ever seen, and we couldn’t get across the pools. We were so close to rolling our pants up to our knees and trying it, but we didn’t know how deep it was. Again no bugs or bears, didn't get the bug repellant out once.

While there we saw a very interesting tour, huge pair of canoes with perhaps a dozen ppl in each paddled across the lake, through icebergs, then along the face of the glacier, then over to the waterfall, then back across the lake. No one was working too hard, and it looked great, might have been a ship tour.

-Bob

At least on Princess the canooers (?? hmm.. "folks in the canoes) you saw were on the Mendenhall Lake Canoe Adventure. Talked to several on the Diamond who did it and loved it.. this is NOT the "float trip" also sold onboard ship but specifically the canoe adventure.

Re: Hiking, haven't done any in Ketchikan and you didn't mention Skagway but we like Dewey Trail in Skagway to Lower and Upper Dewey Lake.. Trailhead starts in town at 3d St. and there are maps at the Ranger Station.. excellent views of town, Lynn Canal etc.

Definately consider the cab to Deer Mt. In Mendenhall the East Loop trail is excellent, take the first turn off, you have a switchback going up, stairs going down. Trailhead for Lower Dewey Lake is between 3 and 4th, across the tracks.

A very scenic trail, sheltered from much of the wind. Be sure to take a trail map with you though.. . I ran the trail without a map (lost it in the wind just after getting off the ship, and said screw it) overshot the loop around the lake and ended up going downhill somewhere on the Lynn Canal. It was by the grace of God that I ran into a local (angel?) on the trail as I was trying to find my way back. . . he pointed me in the right direction, and I got back on the ship with 15 minutes to spare. . .

Would you say that you can hike these trails wearing sneakers' date=' or would it be necessary to bring hiking boots? I would hate to have to pack a big bulky item like that!

Thanks!

Barbara[/quote']

A good pair of walking shoes work well, I have never taken hiking boots.

Juneau: I did the East Glacier Loop trail at Mendenhall Glacier. Nice trail through the forest with tons of moss. A few good views of the glacier. If you have time then also hike to the base of the waterfall. Also consider picking up a guide in the visitor center concerning the local fauna. Other hiking ideas are at http://www.juneau-guide.com/juneau-alaska-hiking.htm

Ketchikan: Deer Mountain trail is straight up to the 1st lookout - about 1500 feet from the port. Again most of the trail is through a forest with tons of moss. It really did feel like being on a stairmaster for an hour. It was also quite humid. Trail goes past the first lookout but lack of time prevented me from going further.

Skagway: I was disappointed with the hike to Lower Dewey Lake. The forest was not nearly as interesting as the other two places and there were no views to speak of. It might get better if you continue to upper Dewey lake. Yukon Murray has suggested Yakutania Point. In retrospect I should have heeded his advise. Other hiking ideas are at http://www.nps.gov/klgo/hike_day_hikes.htm

Archived