4 day pacific coastal cruise

nana51

These are so cheap you feel we MUST take one. :D Since they are so cheap is there anything I need to know? Like do they not open the spa, or have nightly shows. I realize they are repositioning cruises, but I have never been on one to see the differences. I don't really care, 4 days on a cruise ship is still wonderful.:)

We did a 4 night Coastal on the Amsterdam last May. It was the end of a Ft. Lauderdale to Seattle Trans Panama Canal cruise. We had two days at sea and one day in Astoria. As far as I can remember, the spa was open and there were shows. There were activities during the sea days. I don't think HAL can offer less when the cruise is part of a longer cruise. We ate in the Pinnacle all four nights so don't know how the MDR was. Our boarding documents indicated no formal nights but there was one. We boarded in San Diego and we had to disembark in Vancouver NOT Seattle to meet the criteria of the PSVA. That fact was made VERY clear at time of booking. So for us, there was no difference other than # of days. There was a Mariner Reception but only those receiving medals were invited due to the size of the room - Explorer's Lounge not the showroom as there was another event being held there. Hope this helps.

We just completed a 5-day from Vancouver to San Diego on the Statendam, and enjoyed it very much. All facilities were available; there were shows each night; there were lectures and activities. We had great weather, except for rain in Seattle (to be expected). We would definitely do it again. :-)

Our very first HAL cruise was a Pacific coast repositioning cruise from San Diego to Vancouver. We didn't even know it was a repositioning cruise at the time. We had won a vacation deal on an auction. Air fare to San Diego, 3 nights in San Diego and then hop on the Veedam and cruise to Vancouver. We loved it. It was a great cruise and I would recommend it to anyone.

We had access to everything. Of course, being our very first cruise, we didn't know anything about HAL then so it was so much fun just exploring and experiencing everything. It was so long ago but it ignited our love affair with cruising.

I do remember though, being so green, that we accidentally wandered into the Neptune Lounge. We were quickly informed that this area was only reserved for suite guests only. We laugh about it now, of course, but it did motivate us to book a suite on our very next cruise to see what all the fuss was about. Come to think about it, we made quite a few newbie mis-steps on that cruise. Oh well, that's a topic for another thread. :D

That was also my first HAL cruise. Super easy for us since we live in San Diego.

The cruise was perfectly enjoyable and as I recall fully featured.

igraf

Our very first HAL cruise was a Pacific coast repositioning cruise from San Diego to Vancouver. ...

We had access to everything. ...

Just got off the 5-day Vancouver-San Diego on the Westerdam, and it was one of the best cruises I've had of any length. We had a great roll call too. :D There were shows every night, movies, lectures, cooking demos, nothing was lacking. We have done a few coastal cruises, and usually try to combine it with visiting our DS and DIL in CA.

Our Pacific Coastal is one of our favourites. We stopped in Astoria, rented a car and did Mt Saint Helens. We also stopped in Port Alberni, rented a car and drove to Pacific Rim National Park. I would do a 4- day coastal anytime.

Which cruise are you looking at? We have thought about doing that also. It would be nice to be able to take a cruise on the West coast.

We are thinking of doing the April 27th from San Diego to Vancouver with a stop in Victoria. The verandah is $399.00 before all the taxes. I'm figuring around $500.00 or so. It is on the Westerdam.

We are thinking of doing the April 27th from San Diego to Vancouver with a stop in Victoria. The verandah is $399.00 before all the taxes. I'm figuring around $500.00 or so. It is on the Westerdam.

Thanks for the info. Will check this out.

I've done 4 of these, and have a 5th booked for next May. Obviously I enjoy them. :D That said, I've found activities and service levels to be a bit lacking compared to HAL cruises that are 7 or more days long. The crew seems to be preoccupied with getting ready for the next set of cruises. All venues were open.

Roz

Vancouver hotels have really gone up in price. I ended up staying in Seattle, because the places I looked at in Vancouver were $300-400 per night.

Roz

Just got off the 5-day Vancouver-San Diego on the Westerdam, and it was one of the best cruises I've had of any length. We had a great roll call too. :D There were shows every night, movies, lectures, cooking demos, nothing was lacking. We have done a few coastal cruises, and usually try to combine it with visiting our DS and DIL in CA.

Nice. Sounds great.

We are definitely staying a few days in Vancouver. We need to decide how many days and where to stay that is by Canada Place and not tooo expensive.

Try different hotel groups. Like the opposite of Cold Wire. I know we cannot give out names of things. We have found some really good deals on that site.

Thank Nana ... I found a similar cruise on the Noordam in May which coincides with DW's B-day. The pricing is the same. The only difference is it arrives later to Victoria ... not sure why.

We are definitely staying a few days in Vancouver. We need to decide how many days and where to stay that is by Canada Place and not tooo expensive.

Nearly all the hotels around Canada Place are way too expensive, IMO. Just go a few blocks further away and you will find much more reasonable pricing. Just check the West Coast Departures forum, lots of suggestions there. Personally, although I am a "local", I stay at the Rosedale on Robson (suites) when I need to stay downtown overnight. Short cab ride to Canada Place (about $7). On the HOHO route, and all other bus routes, and within walking distance to most places. Tons of restaurants around, too.

I agree with the previous poster. I have been commuting to Vancouver for the past 19 years for work. used to be 4 days a month then every other month now three times a year. I just got back on Wednesday was there sunday thru wed. I stay at the century plaza on Burrard about 190 a night. 900 sq ft. suite on the 29th floor with windows on two sides and a balcony. with a full kitchen by the way. there are plenty of cheaper hotels. do not stay anywhere near Canada Place. cabs are cheap, 7-13 dollars anywhere.

Nearly all the hotels around Canada Place are way too expensive, IMO. Just go a few blocks further away and you will find much more reasonable pricing. Just check the West Coast Departures forum, lots of suggestions there. Personally, although I am a "local", I stay at the Rosedale on Robson (suites) when I need to stay downtown overnight. Short cab ride to Canada Place (about $7). On the HOHO route, and all other bus routes, and within walking distance to most places. Tons of restaurants around, too.

Hope BC, for me originally. Kawkawa Lake.:)

Our very first HAL cruise was a Pacific coast repositioning cruise from San Diego to Vancouver. We didn't even know it was a repositioning cruise at the time.

We did the same in the spring of 2006 - tried out a short cruise to see if we liked it and were hooked!

We did have some high seas (26-28 ft), which meant that the pools were closed. It was so bad at one point that the captain come on during the night to say "to maintain hull integrity, we are reducing speed". Happily, we found out that we don't get seasick, as we were one of only a few who made it to the cooking class the next day!

Last time I had to stay in Vancouver, I tried out Sunset Inn and Suites (on Burnaby Street, one block from Burrard, one block from Davies). It was located very close to my favourite greek restaurant, Stephos on Davies; and it was a quick walk to downtown, quick walk to the beach, and handy to buses. Inexpensive rates, full kitchen setup, lots of good restaurants near by.