Please help us choose a 2016 Carnival, NCL, or RCI cruise

dreamier

Hello! Overwhelmed with our choices, especially since we are looking at other cruise lines this time around, we are asking for our fellow cruisers help.

We are DH & DW (40’s) & DS (teens). Cruising every 5-6mos, we currently have 3 booked for 2014-2015 & are looking to choose another for Jan/Feb 2016. Our first cruise was with RCI & all others since then have been with Carnival.

Here are 6 choices we are considering, with notes on our Plus, Minus, & Neutral points:

8 Day Southern Caribbean from Port Canaveral aboard Carnival Sunshine to Aruba, Bonaire, Grand Turk starting at $539pp.

• Pluses: 8 Day cruise, sails from our favorite home port, & we’ve never been to Aruba or Bonaire.
  • Minuses: None.
  • Neutral: We’d be sailing this same ship 2 cruises in a row, visiting Grand Turk 3 times in 1 year, & this 8 Day cruise is more expensive than the NCL 7 Day cruises.

7 Day Western Caribbean from Tampa aboard Norwegian Star to Roatan, Harvest Caye, Costa Maya, Cozumel starting at $462pp.

• Pluses: Never sailed from Tampa nor on NCL, never been to Harvest Caye nor Costa Maya, Cozumel is our son’s favorite port, & this is currently the cheapest of our choices, tied with the cruise below.
  • Neutral: Our summer visit to Roatan was HOT so hoping for cooler weather in Jan/Feb.

7 Day Western Caribbean from Port Canaveral aboard Norwegian Spirit to Key West, Georgetown, Ocho Rios, Great Stirrup Cay starting at $462pp.

• Pluses: Sails from our favorite home port & never sailed NCL. Love Key West, our son hasn’t been there yet, & we’ve never been to Great Stirrup Cay. This is currently the cheapest of our choices, tied with the cruise above.
  • Neutral: We are visiting Montego Bay, Jamaica & Grand Cayman for the 1st time in Spring 2015, but have never been to Ocho Rios.

7 Day Eastern Caribbean from Port Canaveral aboard Norwegian Spirit to Nassau, St. Thomas, Tortola starting at $496pp.

• Pluses: Sails from our favorite home port & never sailed NCL. Love St. Thomas & have never been to Tortola. Currently the 2nd most affordable.
  • Neutral: Having been numerous times, Nassau is a good ship day for us, making for 2 port days.

7 Day Western Caribbean from Port Canaveral aboard Freedom of the Seas to Port Canaveral, Labadi/Labadee, Falmouth, Caymans/George Town, Cozumel, Port Canaveral starting at $480-536 (depending on dates).

• Pluses: Sails from our favorite home port, haven’t sailed RCI in 10+ years, & never sailed Freedom of the Seas. Never been to Labadi/Labadee & Cozumel is our son’s favorite port.
  • Neutral: We are visiting Montego Bay, Jamaica & Grand Cayman for the 1st time in Spring 2015, but have never been to Falmouth.

7 Day Western Caribbean from Tampa aboard Vision of the Seas to Tampa, Key West, Belize City, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Tampa starting at $521.

• Pluses: Never sailed from Tampa, haven’t sailed RCI in 10+ years, & never sailed Vision of the Seas. Never been to Costa Maya. Love Key West & our son hasn’t been there yet. Cozumel is our son’s favorite port.
  • Neutral: Having been, we would use Belize as a ship day, making for 3 port days.

I will be posting this on all 3 cruise lines forums to cast a larger net. Thanks a million for your input, opinions, experience, & advice!

I would choose the 7 day freedom of the seas. I've heard great things about that ship. There is a promenade on deck. Some of her sister ships even have ice rinks, so I think she does too. If you can score an Aft balcony on her it would be even better. Some of those back balconies are enormous. It even has a flow rider.

Edited by Siora7777

The only advice I have is that I haven't heard anything good about the Carnival Sunshine. My parents love Carnival and just got off a week ago - they said they will never go back on that ship - too cramped (they added more staterooms in the refurb), service not up to par, etc.

I just sailed Freedom of the Seas for the first time, and it was AMAZING! Granted I still haven't sailed NCL yet, but from all of the research I have done, I think I like Royal better than NCL in terms of style of sailing.

As for Falmouth, it is a fairly new port, the port area is very secure and really pretty. Either stay inside the gates, or do an excursion, but don't wander beyond the gates alone.

8 Day Southern Caribbean from Port Canaveral aboard Carnival Sunshine to Aruba, Bonaire, Grand Turk starting at $539pp.

• Pluses: 8 Day cruise, sails from our favorite home port, & we’ve never been to Aruba or Bonaire.
  • Neutral: We’d be sailing this same ship 2 cruises in a row, visiting Grand Turk 3 times in 1 year, & this 8 Day cruise is more expensive than the NCL 7 Day cruises.

Aruba and Bonaire are both wonderful! It would be a shame for you to miss the opportunity to cruise to them! :D

LuLu

I would choose the 7 day freedom of the seas. I've heard great things about that ship. There is a promenade on deck. Some of her sister ships even have ice rinks, so I think she does too. If you can score an Aft balcony on her it would be even better. Some of those back balconies are enormous. It even has a flow rider.

DH, DS, & I viewed RCI’s webpage for Freedom of the Seas earlier this evening & WOW! This is the ship that was being built when we took our first cruise (also RCI). Our kids have always talked about wanting to go on "the ship with the skating rink" ever since. DS was just a little guy then so he’s excited wanting a stateroom overlooking the Promenade. We’ll have to see about that! Thank you for the heads-up on all of Freedom’s features!

The only advice I have is that I haven't heard anything good about the Carnival Sunshine. My parents love Carnival and just got off a week ago - they said they will never go back on that ship - too cramped (they added more staterooms in the refurb), service not up to par, etc.

We have Sunshine booked for September with the consolation that we’ve never had a bad cruise experience regardless of the reviews, HOWEVER, we do hesitate booking her again until we go & see for ourselves. We always book way in advance so this is indeed an issue. Thank you for sharing your parents experience...I just hope they were still able to enjoy their trip!

I just sailed Freedom of the Seas for the first time, and it was AMAZING! Granted I still haven't sailed NCL yet, but from all of the research I have done, I think I like Royal better than NCL in terms of style of sailing.

As for Falmouth, it is a fairly new port, the port area is very secure and really pretty. Either stay inside the gates, or do an excursion, but don't wander beyond the gates alone.

Great news, so glad you enjoyed your cruise aboard Freedom! Thanks for sharing your experience & your advice on Falmouth. We’ll be in Jamaica for the first time in April (Montego Bay) & we’re definitely booking an excursion for then.

I would do the Southern as first choice.

The further south we’ve gone, the more we’ve enjoyed our cruise! Thanks for the feedback!

Aruba and Bonaire are both wonderful! It would be a shame for you to miss the opportunity to cruise to them!

LuLu, we are really looking forward to seeing any of the ABC Islands! If not at that particular time, definitely not long after! I’d love to take a Conquest ship there. Have you been to all 3 & do you have a favorite?

Freedom of the Seas.....by a mile!

Awesome...thank you for your reply!

Since you like Carnival, it's a 8 day itinerary, leaves from your favourite home port I, and features destinations you haven't visited I would say the Sunshine. That was your last ship so if you were happy on that cruise there's no reason I wouldn't take the extra day over your other options that are 7 days. If you're having a good time longer is better IMHO.

I would definitely do the Southern. We LOVE LOVE LOVE Aruba-the best!! My DH and I were recently on the Vision of the Seas and it wasn't great. Fine for adults who just want to relax but we would never take our kids on that ship-they would be utterly bored. Have fun whichever you choose! :-)

My kids are dying to try the Sunshine ever since we moored behind her in New Orleans. They are dying to try the water slides. I love that it is 8 days and have wanted to try the southern cruise for awhile.

That being said, Costa Maya has been one of our favorite cruise stops ever!!! If you select Jamaica make sure you plan in advance what to do. We took all our kids and did an AI resort there and had a blast!! I've done it on my own with DH and, at times, felt unsafe.

I think you have good options. It's hard to narrow it down but this far in advance, if you see a good deal, pull the trigger.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Southern on CCL Breeze would be my choice as well.

Thank you for your recommendation!

Since you like Carnival, it's a 8 day itinerary, leaves from your favourite home port I, and features destinations you haven't visited I would say the Sunshine. That was your last ship so if you were happy on that cruise there's no reason I wouldn't take the extra day over your other options that are 7 days. If you're having a good time longer is better IMHO.

Good points, thank you!

I was on the Destiny before they changed her into the Sunshine. Just my opinion but I really didn't care for that ship at all. I don't think they improved her any, just added more cabins and toned down the pink metal halls....

We will be sailing Sunshine well aware that she may not end up being our favorite ship. This time next year, we will know. Thanks for your reply!

I would definitely do the Southern. We LOVE LOVE LOVE Aruba-the best!! My DH and I were recently on the Vision of the Seas and it wasn't great. Fine for adults who just want to relax but we would never take our kids on that ship-they would be utterly bored. Have fun whichever you choose! :-)

Thank you! We’ve never heard a bad word about any of the ABC Islands!

My kids are dying to try the Sunshine ever since we moored behind her in New Orleans. They are dying to try the water slides. I love that it is 8 days and have wanted to try the southern cruise for awhile.

That being said, Costa Maya has been one of our favorite cruise stops ever!!! If you select Jamaica make sure you plan in advance what to do. We took all our kids and did an AI resort there and had a blast!! I've done it on my own with DH and, at times, felt unsafe.

I think you have good options. It's hard to narrow it down but this far in advance, if you see a good deal, pull the trigger.

Our DS has also wanted to try Sunshine ever since we watched Destiny’s transformation together. What did you do in Costa Maya? We’ll be in Jamaica in the spring & are booking an excursion to tour the Rose Hall Great House. I’d like to read the book & see if it’s appropriate to pass on to DS to read before we go. We also saw a couple of Jamaican plantation tour excursions we’re interested in for future visits. I’m with you on pulling the trigger when we see a good deal. The Freedom of the Seas price went way up already. That factor does help make our decision. Look forward to hearing from you about Costa Maya…thanks for the discussion!

I would choose the 8day Southern Caribbean on the Sunshine, only because I'm not a fan of the Western ports.

We cruised NCL, RCI, and Carnival----enjoyed all of them. That said, RCI has our vote for MDR dining room service, NCL for allover customer service.

It’s been so long since we cruised RCI we do look forward to experiencing their dining room again & we are also anxious to experience NCL’s freestyle. Thank you for your insight!

My advice is to go on the RCCL cruise.

If you want to try NCL, go on Epic, Breakaway or Getaway. These ships ARE the destination and offer so much more than the older ships it really is an amazing experience.

With RCCL, Oasis, Allure and Quantum (and eventually Anthem) are the "destination" ships. Freedom is one generation back from Allure and Oasis and also an outstanding experience. Your kids will fall in love with RCCL and so will you. I think if you are looking to get your feet wet with RCCL, Freedom is the perfect ship to choose and then next year go on Oasis or Allure or alternatively try Epic, Breakaway or Getaway. BTW, RCCL is implementing something very similar to Freestyle.

My advice is to go on the RCCL cruise.

If you want to try NCL, go on Epic, Breakaway or Getaway. These ships ARE the destination and offer so much more than the older ships it really is an amazing experience.

With RCCL, Oasis, Allure and Quantum (and eventually Anthem) are the "destination" ships. Freedom is one generation back from Allure and Oasis and also an outstanding experience. Your kids will fall in love with RCCL and so will you. I think if you are looking to get your feet wet with RCCL, Freedom is the perfect ship to choose and then next year go on Oasis or Allure or alternatively try Epic, Breakaway or Getaway. BTW, RCCL is implementing something very similar to Freestyle.

GREAT advice! Unfortunately the RCCL Freedom of the Seas has already gone substantially up in price. I'm not sure how their prices fluctuate but I plan to watch closely. Would LOVE to hear more about the new similarity to Freestyle they are implementing, if you could please point me in the right direction?

Yes, we have come to the decision to save NCL for one of the ships you mentioned. Would LOVE NYC to Bermuda, but for a warmer time of year!

Thanks so much for your reply & we will look forward to learning more about RCCL's new plans!

GREAT advice! Unfortunately the RCCL Freedom of the Seas has already gone substantially up in price. I'm not sure how their prices fluctuate but I plan to watch closely. Would LOVE to hear more about the new similarity to Freestyle they are implementing, if you could please point me in the right direction?

I agree with SuiteTraveler's advice. It's a shame FOS went up so much in price because of all your choices, all of which (ships) I have cruised on, FOS is the superior cruise by far. And when FOS goes into drydock here shortly, they are adding the Broadway show Hairspray.

RCI's new concept is a little different from Freestyle. It's called Dynamic Dining and they are offering several free dining rooms that all serve completely different menus. There is no main dining room anymore. The reports (from Cruise Critic staff) coming in from the Quantum sailing right now look very promising. The restaurants are getting glowing reviews.

Go with your own instincts. Nothing worse than having a poor vacation that someone else chose for you.

Cannot imagine! This is one reason we take reviews, of all kinds, with a bit of skepticism. However, we have to credit you all here at Cruise Critic, & others at general travel review sites, having helped us plan some of the most amazing vacations of our lives. We appreciate you taking the time to comment!

I agree with SuiteTraveler's advice. It's a shame FOS went up so much in price because of all your choices, all of which (ships) I have cruised on, FOS is the superior cruise by far. And when FOS goes into drydock here shortly, they are adding the Broadway show Hairspray.

RCI's new concept is a little different from Freestyle. It's called Dynamic Dining and they are offering several free dining rooms that all serve completely different menus. There is no main dining room anymore. The reports (from Cruise Critic staff) coming in from the Quantum sailing right now look very promising. The restaurants are getting glowing reviews.

I am going to have to start following all of the information about RCI & Freedom of the Seas. Crossing our fingers that we can find a great deal when we’re ready to book. You all have us extremely interested! Thanks so much for the information!

I think that RCI's Dynamic Dining will be similar to Disney, where you dine in a different venue every night, but have the same servers. We never sailed with Disney, only watched the program on one of the travel channels.

Sounds like a great program. Can't wait to hear all of the details.

We had a fun family discussion last night about possible changes to cruising, particularly dress, dining, etc. The times they are a changin & we're ready to enjoy whatever comes!

UPDATE:

DH & I have been reading all 3 threads with great interest! Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply. You have helped us immensely!

We have decided to save NCL for another time. Breakaway from NYC to Bermuda in late summer/early fall sounds perfect. We’ll take a peek at the late summer/early fall 2016 fares when they’re released.

We have also brainstormed our initial dates, which were based on lowest prices for those ships/itineraries. With our time window narrowed & bumped to Feb 19 through the 1st week of March, we were able to make a quick list based on all of your feedback!

RCI Freedom of the Seas 7 Day Western Feb 28.

• Now at the top of our list as long as we can get the total price (stateroom, taxes/fees, gratuities) for the same or better as the Sunshine 8 Day Southern below.

If not...

Carnival Sunshine 8 Day Southern Caribbean Mar 5.

• Concerns... Will we like the ship when we are on her Sep 2015 & therefore enjoy going on her again the very next cruise? And will this fall during spring break time?
  • However... The 8 Day itinerary of Aruba, Curacao, & Grand Turk may trump all!
  • The original Sunshine 8 Day we were looking at included Bonaire in the place of Curacao. Curacao wouldn’t be a “bad” trade-off, would it? (We will probably do a land &/or sea tour at either.)

Carnival Valor 7 Day Western Caribbean Feb 20; Port Canaveral, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, & Costa Maya.

• New on the list, this is a good option due the affordability.
  • We loved Conquest & since then have been looking at the Conquest-class ships sailing out of Port Canaveral.
  • We have not been to Costa Maya & were at these other ports during a very hot, humid, stormy season. It would be nice to have another opportunity to visit during a cooler time of year.

So that is the latest. We both thank you all again for the brainstorming, will keep reading your replies, & will definitely keep you posted on our decision!

Edited by dreamier
Changed wording.

I loved the Norwegian Spirit for it's smallness and design touches, but my teen niece and nephew were pretty bored by it. They wanted a ship with more bells and whistles.

In a few years DH & I will totally enjoy "boring" ships together, just the 2 of us! NCL's older ships do look pretty in pictures.