Clothes for a cruise around the horn

jhenry1

.... is the answer. We find South America the biggest challenge if you want to keep to reasonable amounts of luggage, but I think we have rather perfected it now.

Buenos Aires in January will be hot - so you'll need t-shirts, a hat, sunscreen. The further you go south ( same if you start in Valparaiso) it will get cooler and windier, with a chance of fog, rain or even snow ( in Antarctica, for example). So we feel fine with a selection of fleece jackets, windproof jacket, warm hat , scarf and gloves. A rainproof pair of trousers might be a good idea if you go on shore excursions a lot or want to be on the open deck for longer periods of time. I still pack light because I use the ship's laundry for underwear, t-shirts etc. It's still less cost and trouble compared to lugging two suitcases extra around. (I also restrict myself when it comes to formal clothing - I'm courageously wearing the same or similar outfit for all formal evenings :D)

The wind chill factor is worse than the cold. The weather really is unpredictable, we had sunny weather on the Falkland Islands in March and wore t-shirts, other ships before and after couldn't even get their passengers ashore because of high winds and rain. In Antarctica we were able to sit on our (sheltered) balcony in the sun with just a pullover. But you never know.

Enjoy your cruise!

That about sums it up!

I don't recall it being uncomfortably cold in any port, but you do need the layers and rain wear. We are used to cold weather, so it really has to be freezing to get a reaction from us.

On the ship, around the horn was quite cold and quite windy. That's where the hats and gloves were handy.

The packing can drive you crazy but just pack a couple of nice tops for dinner and wear the same skirt/slacks the entire trip. I agree about the formal wear, too...repeat and don't apologize.

I've started going monochromatic (think Simon Cowell in black tops and khaki slacks) except I wear white tops and denim or khaki in the daytime and black slacks at night. Is it the same outfit every day or multiple outfits that look the same!?!

Concur with the above, with the additional (strong) recommendation that your outer jacket be waterproof (e.g., Gore-Tex) and with a hood. Unless you are going to the Antarctic, that waterproof layer does not need to be heavy. For the Falklands and Cape Horn, better to have a relatively light waterproof shell that is large enough to accommodate a fleece (or similar) layer underneath when needed.

We were very glad to have brought light waterproof outer pants on both our trips around Cape Horn -- both in February. We were also glad to have lightweight water-resistant hiking boots, though those came at the cost of needing an extra suitcase :(

John

My recommendation is Thermal underwear, silk if you like. Vests and long johns. We've been Round the Horn a few times, also NZ and I can't recommend thermal underwear enough. If it's really cold even 2 vests together under a sweater. Scarf, hat and fingerless gloves or mittens where the finger bit folds back (invaluable when you want to take photos or use binoculars. Waterproof and wind proof outer layer, warm sox and waterproof shoes/boots. Merino wool or cashmere is good.

I always find the temperature in ships public rooms a bit chilly esp Dining rooms and theatres

Sandy in Spain

What about t he temperature on the ship in public rooms?

I do not recall the inside temperatures on the Star Pr. or Grand Pr. during our Cape Horn trips as being any different from usual on Princess ships --ok or a little too warm as far as I am concerned; ok or a little too cool as far as DW is concerned...

John

Edited by J-D

A couple of Pashminas are among the must takes on my packing list for every cruise, no matter the time of year or the itinerary ..... they are lightweight, occupy little space in my luggage, can easily be toted to the dining room or the theater onboard, and for me are frequently needed because some venues are a little too cool or drafty. I usually pack a black one as well as an ivory colored one.

You can always buy anoother colour on board or even in the port to use onboard and keep as a souvenir...same with wooly hats or if you're brave enough one of the penguin ones from Punta Arenas

See

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_f3AoUe9bGqw/S2SLANCrzRI/AAAAAAAABoQ/uiShnCZ3lfo/s320/28+January+2010,+Ounta+Arenas,+Chile+032-784686.jpg

It's not me, just showing the hat

Sandy in Spain

• 3 weeks later...
The key is to layer. The further you go south the colder it gets and it also gets quite windy.

Hat, Gloves, Scarf, Water Proof Jacket, Fleece/Sweater/or Sweatshirt, Water Proof Pants and a couple of pairs of shoes and even long johns.

Keith

That is how we are going. Layers! We've been stocking up on Fleece Vests and other stuff as they went on sale at the end of last years winter season.

Scarfs, hats, gloves are also a must.

We used light weight quilted jackets that are OK for temperatures down to 20 degrees with multiple layers underneath depending on the actual temperature and wind chill. The key plus to these jackets was that they folded into their own pocket for packing so they took up very little room.

If anything, I found that as we approached the Horn, the lounges tended to be too warm (probably because we were so bundled up!)

Have a wonderful trip!