Rental cars/ Ft. Lauderdale

cruznlobo

Which company is the easiest to pick up a car at the airport, drop off near the port, get shuttled to the port, get shuttled to pick up another car after the cruise and drop car off at the airport?

Thanx in Advance for any info.

All of the major rental car companies are now located in the new Car Rental Center, which is a large parking garage in the center of the airport terminals. Since Port Everglades is adjacent to the airport that's also used for port rentals.

Thrifty however also has a location they're still using that's located between the airport and the port, all of the other majors have closed their off airport facilities or are just using them for maintenance/storage.

Trent, I thought Budget was still operating there off airport property (the old Hertz location) for rentals as well. Have they consolidated everything out of FLL now? I still see a lot of activity there when I pass by it.

Do you mean Budget's white building on the SE corner of the airport, just east of Federal Hwy., north of Griffin? That wasn't the old Hertz though, that was Value before Budget moved in there. Anyway, that one hasn't been open to the public since they opened the Car Rental Center. I haven't been past the old Hertz building in a while, but the last time I was it was closed to the public as well. They seemed to be just using it for storage/maintenance. I'll have to drive past there just to make sure.

We appreciate the info.

Sounds like we have to pick up at the airport, drop off at the airport, shuttle to the port, shuttle back to the airport, pick up new car and then drop off at the airport after our vacation.

Correct?

Will the rental agencies shuttle to and from the airport?

Thanx again.

The rental car agencies no longer have shuttles, since the Rental Car Center opened they're banned from the airport. The airport has pastel striped busses that go from the terminals to the Rental Car Center. I believe you may have to take taxis to and from the airport now though. I think Thrifty still has shuttles that they use within Port Everglades to their off airport site, but call to confirm that.

• 2 weeks later...
Budget still has a location in the Quay Shopping Plaza--just down the road from the port.

Yes, they do, but it's a franchise and there have been a lot of complaints about it on here and elsewhere. They rarely have very many cars there, I would just take a taxi to the airport Car Rental Center if it were me.

Looks like we have about a mile walk to 2 water taxi stops. Will probably cab it from airport to hotel, hotel to port, port to hotel and hotel to airport. We can use the water taxi for our party boat the rest of the time.

I used the Budget Quay location in January for drop off after bringing everyone and our luggage to the pier. It was fine. But remember - drop off allowed me to park the car and drop the keys and contract on the counter w/o waiting on line. The walk back to the Caribbean Princess was short and pleasant and easy through security. Might be a problem if you were mid port - but I assume you could get a cab.

Thee was a line out the door for pickup and a crowd waiting for the shuttle. That didn't look to great to me, but it was a Sunday and there was only one person behind the counter.

Richard

Can someone please clarify the Port Everglades rental car situation.

Does Alamo and the other car rental companies have shuttles that pick up at the different piers and then transport people to the rental car location at the FLL airport?

I'm coming in on Princess and have a transfer to the airport, but I'm planning on renting a car to drive home (Sarasota) rather than flying. I've read the posts on this thread and I'm a little confused about the getting from the airport to the rental car center.

Thanks,

Wes

Some rental car companies will shuttle you to neighborhood locations, but NOT to the airport Car Rental Center. There have been some problems with the small neighborhood locations not having the cars people have reserved as they have nowhere near the selection they do at the airport... I would reserve a car at the airport and take a taxi to the Car Rental Center. It's a large parking garage in the middle of the airport terminals where all the major rental car companies are now located. It's less than 10 minutes from Port Everglades and about a $10 cab ride.

Some rental car companies will shuttle you to neighborhood locations, but NOT to the airport Car Rental Center. There have been some problems with the small neighborhood locations not having the cars people have reserved as they have nowhere near the selection they do at the airport... I would reserve a car at the airport and take a taxi to the Car Rental Center. It's a large parking garage in the middle of the airport terminals where all the major rental car companies are now located. It's less than 10 minutes from Port Everglades and about a $10 cab ride.

As usual I am confused - aren't there buses at the airport that take you to the Car Rental Center? If I rent a car there, I will need to return it there and then take a taxi to the pier? When I return from the cruise, I would need to take a taxi to the Car Rental Center to get a car? Is that right??? It was so much easier in 2004 - just took the rental car shuttle to get a car and to the pier.

As usual I am confused - aren't there buses at the airport that take you to the Car Rental Center? If I rent a car there, I will need to return it there and then take a taxi to the pier? When I return from the cruise, I would need to take a taxi to the Car Rental Center to get a car? Is that right??? It was so much easier in 2004 - just took the rental car shuttle to get a car and to the pier.

That's the easiest way... There are no rental car shuttles allowed in the airport any more. The airport has shuttles that take you from the terminals to the Car Rental Center, but not Port Everglades.

Thrifty is the only rental car company that maintains a large off airport lot, and I believe they still run their shuttles into Port Everglades. Some of the other companies have off-airport neighborhood locations they'll shuttle you to, but they don't seem to have much of a selection at those locations. It's quickest and easiest to just grab a taxi and go to the Car Rental Center at FLL.

Archived