Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old December 26th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Need Help Fellow CC gurus! Which cruise line/boat for elderly grandparents?

For Christmas, we (my DH/MIL/FIL) purchased my DH's Grandparents Cruises as gifts.

A little history:
DH's Paternal Grandparents have been on the Soverign of the Seas. It only goes to Nassau and Coco Cay, so they have already been to poth ports. His Grandfather isn't really mobile, so we'll have to use a wheelchair for any extended periods of "walking". His Grandmother is in pretty good health.

DH's Maternal Grandparents have never been on a cruise, so they're just excited about the whole idea! His Grandfather is 80+, but is in VERY good shape for a man his age. His Grandmother is in pretty good health (but will drive everyone nuts with the non-stop random talking....).

We'll be bringing our daughter who will be 1 yr+ and on her second cruise (outside of the womb).

I guess in short, we're trying to find a nice short cruise, but we're sorta stuck as to which line/boat to use. We're faithful to RCCL because of the quality of boats, but we're looking at from the cost/boat/ease of elderly.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Much!!!
Sovereign of the Seas; October 8, 2004
Sovereign of the Seas; August 18, 2006
Sovereign of the Seas; January 19, 2007
Legend of the Seas; March 10, 2007 !! Baby_Gamecock's First Cruise !!
Sovereign of the Seas; September 7, 2007
(dis)Enchantment of the Seas; September 29, 2007 (Cruise from Hell!)
Freedom of the Seas; April 27, 2008 !! Lady_G's Birthday Cruise !!
Sovereign of the Seas; September 12, 2008
Monarch of the Seas; July 3, 2009 (This cruise made me !)
Monarch of the Seas; September 3, 2010 Erica's Bachelorette Cruise!!
Monarch of the Seas; September 14, 2012
Allure of the Seas; November 11, 2012
Monarch of the Seas; March 1, 2013
Freedom of the Seas; July 28, 2013

Norwegian -
Sun; January 8, 2005

Celebrity -
Century; December 15, 2005
Equinox (Seventh Voyage); October 23, 2009 Causey Family Med Cruise!

Princess -
Emerald; January 7, 2011 Baby_Cocky's First Cruise!!
Crown; April 7, 2012

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Cruises -

Royal Caribbean -
Independence of the Seas; April 12, 2014

Old December 27th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Well I have to say from all of the lines I have cruised on that Celebrity seems to be extremely accomodating to the elderly and to any one with special needs. Princess is good too, but on our Celebrity cruise there were many older folks and the line treated them all wonderfully. Also they just refurbed the Century. She is an older ship, but my friend just cruised on her and said it is a lovely ship. They offer four and five night Carib itineraries and are usually pretty reasonable.

And about the non stop random talking, well my 80+ parents both just moved in with me and let me just say....I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!

"I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine"--Caskie Stinnett

Elation 10/20/02
Paradise 9/21/03
Pride of Aloha 6/07/04
Star Princess 10/24/04
Coral Princess 05/12/05
NCL Star 5/15/05
Mercury 9/24/05
Majesty of the Seas 7/17/06
Diamond Princess 2/17/07
Elation 6/07/07
Golden Princess 01/19/08
Caribbean Princess 04/27/08
Elation 05/31/08
Sapphire Princess 09/27/08
Carnival Freedom 01/11/09
Carnival Splendor 05/31/09
Emerald Princess 10/18/09
Elation 03/06/10
Ruby Princess 10/31/10
Carnival Spirit 02/06/11
Sapphire Princess 04/23/11
Carnival Splendor 10/30/11
Carnival Spirit 3/16/12
Destiny 10/29/12
Ruby Princess 11/18/12
Crown Princess 3/23/13
Carnival Victory 11/25/13
Celebrity Constellation 01/20/14
Carnival Breeze 11/22/14
Celebrity Eclipse 01/05/16

Old December 28th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Check out the following for any itinerary / ship -
  • Tendering vs Docking. Tendering can be very intimidating for the elderly - their sense of balance is not as good as it is in younger folks and boarding the tender from the ship requires a person to do several rather streneous manuvers at the same time.
  • Ship's level upon which you board. At most large ports of de/embarkation, the ship boards at the same level so there is not a big incline. At other ports you may disembark on the one level and have to negotiate down three or four levels of incline - you may find yourselves pushing three or four wheelchairs back up! Get a really good cruise TA who can work as your intermediary - and be certain both you and s/he ask about the level of the ship at which you embark/debark at EACH port versus the level on land - even the best preserved 80+YO will not want to climb up a three or four level incline.
  • Number of elevators per pax.
  • How the public and cabin bathrooms are laid out - do they have grab bars?
  • Do the dining rooms have 'sunken' spots? Because of eyesight those one or two step changes in a room can be a real issue for the elderly.
  • Do any of the GP's have dietary restrictions or any special medical monitoring needs - most of these can be accommodated by any line, but do remember to ask/plan ahead.
Also - Many older people tend to 'shuffle' so be certain to remind them to pick up their feet while walking on the ship because there are a lot of raised thresholds.

With some good planning after asking LOTS of questions, this should be a great experience for all of you.

Old December 28th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

We like to get my grandparents a room that can be seen as the get out of the elevator (no risk of them getting turned around going forward when they should be going aft, etc). Also, we put up door decorations on their rooms so that they can find the room easily.

I also recommed a smaller ship, not one of the bigger ones, so that it is easier to navigate. My grandparents also prefer a balcony since they spend alot of time in their room (and also because they smoke).

I like dosi's suggestion of the Celebrity Century. Great ship, especially now that she has balconies.

Have fun. Cruising is the best multi-generational vacation!

Shellie

Next Cruise - ?????????????????????

4-night Bahamas Cruise
Majesty of the Seas - December 3, 2007

11-night Mexican Riviera Cruise

Celebrity Mercury - November 2006

7-night Western Caribbean Cruise
Royal Caribbean Grandeur OTS - April 2006

10-Night Panama Cruise
Celebrity Century - November 2005

10-Night Southern Caribbean Cruise
Dawn Princess - November 2004

Old December 28th, 2006, 07:04 PM
5,000+ Club

You might also look at a Holland America ship. They seem to cater more to the older passenger like Celebrity does, but also have something for everyone. I agree that you should look at ports where the ship can dock as tendering can be dangerous for the mobility impaired.

That's a very generous gift and I am sure they are thrilled.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:58 PM
5,000+ Club

Unfortunately, speaking from experience, I also think a HAL ship is the best choice.

Blogging to Aruba ~ Aruba Pictures ~ Cat Information

2012 Celebrity Silhouette ~ 2008 Cunard Queen Mary 2 ~ 2006 Celebrity Galaxy ~ 2005 Celebrity Galaxy ~ 2004 HAL Zaandam ~ 2003 Princess Golden Princess ~ 1998 Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Seas ~ 1996 Majesty Cruise Line Norwegian Majesty ~ 1989 Royal Caribbean Song of Norway ~ 1988 Chandris Fantasy Britanis ~ 1986 Chandris Fantasy Galileo ~ 1985 Costa CostaRiviera ~ 1984 NCL Starward ~ 1983 Carnival Carnivale

Old January 5th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

I would also be sure to stay away from school vacation times. Don't get me wrong, this is a family board, I travel with my three kids. But, I would never ever take a cruise when kids are out of school. Our favorite time is late January, early February; or two weeks after easter. Most parents are leary about taking their kids out of school that soon after a break. I've never been on a ship with more than 100 kids!!! One cruise, there were only about 36 and six of them were mine and our friends. It's easier for elderly people to get around without all the ruckus kids bring.