Improved Entertainment on Azamara

TerryAndDoug

After we returned from our first Azamara cruise last November, I think the only negative comment I posted here was that IMHO the nightly entertainment in the cabaret was mostly geared to an older crowd. Obviously, everyone's taste is different, by I felt much differently on our most recent cruise. We were able to see three of the four new production shows, and they seem to appeal to a much broader audience. No, they aren't on the same scale as on the mega-ships, but I think they've done a great job of working within the limits that the cabaret space and budgets allow, with some good talent.

I know that guest entertainers vary from sailing to sailing, but this time we also enjoyed the comedian who performed one evening. I also gained an appreciation for the violin this cruise. Beverley Davidson is an amazingly talented musician, and managed to combine that with a great knack for comedy.

Doug

After we returned from our first Azamara cruise last November, I think the only negative comment I posted here was that IMHO the nightly entertainment in the cabaret was mostly geared to an older crowd. Obviously, everyone's taste is different, by I felt much differently on our most recent cruise. We were able to see three of the four new production shows, and they seem to appeal to a much broader audience. No, they aren't on the same scale as on the mega-ships, but I think they've done a great job of working within the limits that the cabaret space and budgets allow, with some good talent.

I know that guest entertainers vary from sailing to sailing, but this time we also enjoyed the comedian who performed one evening. I also gained an appreciation for the violin this cruise. Beverley Davidson is an amazingly talented musician, and managed to combine that with a great knack for comedy.

Doug

Hello Doug -

Welcome home to you and Terry!

Thank you very much for your time and effort to share your positive impressions about our new production shows and the quality of the guest entertainers which I expect added a very enjoyable dimension to your Azamara experience.

I wanted to share with you and other readers, that your positive comments will freshen and update our guest-assessed entertainment feedback on the Cruise Critic. Our product deliverables have dramatically changed which means that there is historically inaccurate "residue" on message boards of past reviews and opinions about our entertainment as well as cuisine and other components, thereby creating false starting points depending on where one enters the message board when deciding about whether to vacation with Azamara.

Also, I appreciated your August 13 "Special Dietary Needs" post about how impressed you were with the special attention Terry received from a dining room manager about the details of the vegan meals. "This was a welcome communication, as we've never been on a cruise before where the ship was pro-active in addressing the request."

Thank you very much for your dedication to providing us with this valuable feedback. You can be sure I'll pass both these comments on to our Vice President of hotel operations.

Please enjoy the weekend ahead and my best wishes for an enjoyable cruise next January on NCL's Pride of America.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Doug, I did a "live from" thread when I was on Quest in February/March and made comment about the entertainment being very good. It's hard for me to judge like with like because I hadn't been to Azamara shows before and my interest in it has long since waned on Celebrity, but I was tempted into going not least by the very enthusiastic Russ Grieve who promised newly revamped and enjoyable shows with some talented performers. He delivered.

BTW I know there are fans of many of the CDs on Azamara and I can say that Russ has been the best I have experienced on any cruise.

Phil

Hello Doug -

Thank you very much for your time and effort to share your positive impressions about our new production shows and the quality of the guest entertainers which I expect added a very enjoyable dimension to your Azamara experience.

I wanted to share with you and other readers, that your positive comments will freshen and update our guest-assessed entertainment feedback on the Cruise Critic. Our product deliverables have dramatically changed which means that there is historically inaccurate "residue" on message boards of past reviews and opinions about our entertainment as well as cuisine and other components, thereby creating false starting points depending on where one enters the message board when deciding about whether to vacation with Azamara.

Also, I appreciated your August 13 "Special Dietary Needs" post about how impressed you were with the special attention Terry received from a dining room manager about the details of the vegan meals. "This was a welcome communication, as we've never been on a cruise before where the ship was pro-active in addressing the request."

Thank you very much for your dedication to providing us with this valuable feedback. You can be sure I'll pass both these comments on to our Vice President of hotel operations.

Please enjoy the weekend ahead and my best wishes for an enjoyable cruise next January on NCL's Pride of America.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Bill, Thanks for the good wishes. I hope that soon I can list another Azamara cruise as "upcoming" as well.

Doug

... I know there are fans of many of the CDs on Azamara and I can say that Russ has been the best I have experienced on any cruise.
I very much agree. In over 20 years of cruising, we've had our share of phony, cocky and self-absorbed CDs. They're memorable for all the wrong reasons. But Russ Grieve sets the gold standard. Sincere, engaging, confident and talented - not to mention that he can lead a mean YMCA dance!

We also very much enjoyed Tony Markey for the same reasons. Well maybe without the YMCA bit. LOL.

As for ship entertainment, it's not a crucial aspect of our cruise experience. We'll take it if it's good and leave it if it's not. No big deal either way.

I am enjoying reading these posts - they really help and I am getting excited about my first Azamura trip on the Quest on 16 Oct out of Barcelona. I shall be travelling solo, but going with a group from the central coast of California. I think the group is above the age of 50 .... at least, the people I know who are going certainly are LOL !

So glad that I have joined Cruise Critic - wish I'd come across it many years ago.

Hello Doug -

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hi Everyone,

So nice to hear all the great comments about Russ Grieve. We've never sailed with Russ, but certainly hope to, on a future Azamara sailing. We sailed with Tony Markey last year, and thought he was outstanding.

I hope to get the chance to meet all of Azamara's Cruise Directors.

I very much agree. In over 20 years of cruising, we've had our share of phony, cocky and self-absorbed CDs. They're memorable for all the wrong reasons. But Russ Grieve sets the gold standard. Sincere, engaging, confident and talented - not to mention that he can lead a mean YMCA dance!

We also very much enjoyed Tony Markey for the same reasons. Well maybe without the YMCA bit. LOL.

As for ship entertainment, it's not a crucial aspect of our cruise experience. We'll take it if it's good and leave it if it's not. No big deal either way.

TOTALLY agree with you Mighty Quinn about Russ Grieve. The YMCA dance was the best and don't forget his disco boots!:D Our next trip in January is on the Journey and are looking forward to meeting their cruise director. Hopefully it will be Eric because I've read wonderful things about him.

TOTALLY agree with you Mighty Quinn about Russ Grieve. The YMCA dance was the best and don't forget his disco boots!:D Our next trip in January is on the Journey and are looking forward to meeting their cruise director. Hopefully it will be Eric because I've read wonderful things about him.

Eric, Russ and the "floating cruise director Tony who does 2 months on one ship and tow on another as holiday cover) are all fantastic, there is not a weak link there at all, Azamara should be proud of the CD team, they really are a credit to them

Did he let you try on his silver Mamma Mia boots? There is a photo of me in them in Looking Glass trying to dance, but I don't know who it was that took it and hope it doesn't pop up on the net somewhere :D

Phil

Did he let you try on his silver Mamma Mia boots? There is a photo of me in them in Looking Glass trying to dance, but I don't know who it was that took it and hope it doesn't pop up on the net somewhere :D

Phil

Phil,

No I didn't get to try on those silver Mamma Mia boots maybe next cruise and I hear he only offers that privilege to the most accomplished dancers.;)

Pat

Archived