HDMI Ports available on Vista?

DJ_PK

Can anyone tell me if Carnival Vista has HDMI ports available to use on the Cabin TVs? I want to be able to use my Go Pro and/or Apple TV. I know that some Hotels intentionally purchase TVs with no HDMI ports (or they block access to them) to get guests to pay for movies etc. So my question is actually in two parts: Are the HDMI ports present, and are they accessible?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can anyone tell me if Carnival Vista has HDMI ports available to use on the Cabin TVs? I want to be able to use my Go Pro and/or Apple TV. I know that some Hotels intentionally purchase TVs with no HDMI ports (or they block access to them) to get guests to pay for movies etc. So my question is actually in two parts: Are the HDMI ports present, and are they accessible?

Your Apple Tv isn't likely to work on board the ship. They probably have HDMI ports but the supplied remote usually doesn't support that function.

don't know specifically about the Vista, but generally, the TV's have disabled HDMI ports, however there is a fix. All the ship board activities on your TV run through a simple phone line. Unplug the phone and and go to input on your remote, chnage it to HDMI, and will magically work

don't know specifically about the Vista, but generally, the TV's have disabled HDMI ports, however there is a fix. All the ship board activities on your TV run through a simple phone line. Unplug the phone and and go to input on your remote, chnage it to HDMI, and will magically work

Wow! That's an awesome tip. How did you discover that? DId you try it yourself? How does the phone line connect to a TV?

• 4 weeks later...
I read somewhere that the suites have HDMI and are accessible. The lower balconies, outside, and interiors do not. Don't quote me though, as I'm not sure this is true or not.

Is there someone I can call to verify if HDMI ports are available?

We just got off the Vista. They are NOT available. I looked up the "fix" on youtube, but it doesn't apply to the Vista's tv's. There are no buttons on the tv and no input button on the remote. I tried unplugging the phone line and plugging in my hdmi cable, but the tv just sat there looking for the phone line. I had hoped it would pick up the live hdmi that I had plugged in, but it did not. We were in a cove balcony.

Is there someone I can call to verify if HDMI ports are available?

Yes, I am telling you it worked. We brought a few movies. I brought a 15' HDMI cable on eBay and use it at hotels as well. The phone line connects like any phone line and carries your personal data. There are a few older ships still have tube TVs so probably do not have HDMI.

I am very good with computers and hooked up the HDMI on the back got into the TV settings to change inputs which is not easy to find, when u click on the HDMI input it kicks you right back to the main TV input, and unplugging the phone did nothing. So I would say the don't work.

I'll reiterate - it did not work.

There aren't very many channels to choose from: the 4 networks, CNN, TNT, TBS and some cartoons. Depending on where you're sailing, those channels may be unavailable, leaving you with barely anything to watch. I prefer to bring my media player so I at least have some tv shows and movies that I like that I've downloaded to watch. It's not like I sit in my cabin for the cruise watching tv, but if you're relaxing or getting ready for bed, it's nice to know that there's something interesting to watch.

From the Carnival website:

Connecting Personal Devices to the Stateroom Television

Guests are not permitted to connect Digital Cameras/Camcorders, DVDs/VCRs, USB sticks, iPods, Nintendo/X-Box Play units with the television in the staterooms; all connection ports are disabled.

In Suite accommodations only, guests are able to connect their own DVD/video source through the television using an audio/video input plate; guests must supply their own RCA connection cables.

I am very good with computers and hooked up the HDMI on the back got into the TV settings to change inputs which is not easy to find, when u click on the HDMI input it kicks you right back to the main TV input, and unplugging the phone did nothing. So I would say the don't work.

I'm curious how you got into the settings. Could you clarify? I was going to bring a Harmony remote to see if that would allow access to the inputs, but the one I have requires you to know the model of the tv ahead of time and I had no idea, so I didn't bother.

Small toggle button on the bottom center of the TV, it actually pushes up in and toggles all 4 directions.

I'm curious how you got into the settings. Could you clarify? I was going to bring a Harmony remote to see if that would allow access to the inputs, but the one I have requires you to know the model of the tv ahead of time and I had no idea, so I didn't bother.

Thank you for that response. It's just seems so greedy and cheesy when they block the HDMI ports.

It's probably less greed and more efficiency than having guest services explain countless times per cruise when someone selects the wrong input how to get the tv working again.

I honestly don't think Carnival Corp makes a ton of money from PPV movies on board.

• 1 year later...
On 3/21/2017 at 3:30 PM, archer_310 said:

We just got off the Vista. They are NOT available. I looked up the "fix" on youtube, but it doesn't apply to the Vista's tv's. There are no buttons on the tv and no input button on the remote. I tried unplugging the phone line and plugging in my hdmi cable, but the tv just sat there looking for the phone line. I had hoped it would pick up the live hdmi that I had plugged in, but it did not. We were in a cove balcony.

On 3/22/2017 at 1:07 AM, coevan said:

Yes, I am telling you it worked. We brought a few movies. I brought a 15' HDMI cable on eBay and use it at hotels as well. The phone line connects like any phone line and carries your personal data. There are a few older ships still have tube TVs so probably do not have HDMI.

So we have mixed results on unplugging the phone line. Interesting.

On 3/23/2017 at 6:54 PM, jnodrog said:

Small toggle button on the bottom center of the TV, it actually pushes up in and toggles all 4 directions.

Some report no buttons, this sounds like an LG TV. 

Anyone tried this recently, or at a minimum know the model # of the TVs on Vista (standard interior room, if that matters)?

I'm generally pretty good at getting HDMI working.. too many nights in hotels. Just want to know if I should bring a universal remote or not.