Combining Beach and Snorkeling?

dralston

Going on the 1-29-2005 Serenade of the Seas cruise (first cruise).

Thinking of beach and snorkeling hopefully combining it. I have snorkeled off Cinammon Bay in St. Johns many times and wonder if I could find similiar in St. Martin? Do they have such?

I much prefer to be able to park myself on a nice beach and have a reef right off the beach in calm water (well I know you can't guarantee that!) Does that paint the picture? I will not be taking gear so would need rental at the beach and depending on how long I go, a place for lunch. I am not that interested in going on a snorkeling boat though I know that is often the better snorkeling. The couple ship excursions do not really fit the bill so it would need to be where the taxis go. Perhaps one of the beach excursions would work if there is snorkeling. Is there snorkeling at Orient since that is where the excursions seem to tend to go? Or would I be better off elsewhere.

We asked at the taxi stand right at the pier. They recommended Dawn beach for snorkling off the beach but I couldn't recommend it. We didn't see any fish there and lets just say the vendors at the beach were very persistent trying to sell you their goods. I don't mind a little of it, but this was the only beach where they repeatedly tried to sell us the same stuff and just stood in front of us repeatedly. It was pretty uncomfortable. If you have an idea where you want to go, you'll have no problem getting a taxi when you get off the ship. Good luck!

Just a suggestion if you don't plan to go to Saint Johns, we had great luck snorkling at Coki beach on St. Thomas.
No, I have not been to the Caribbean in about 15 years and do want to go back to St. Johns. I will be showing my sister and her husband and I don't think they are too into the snorkeling so probably will just tour there. So I was thinking of maybe snorkeling at another stop. But thanks for the tip.

We asked at the taxi stand right at the pier. They recommended Dawn beach for snorkling off the beach but I couldn't recommend it. We didn't see any fish there and lets just say the vendors at the beach were very persistent trying to sell you their goods. I don't mind a little of it, but this was the only beach where they repeatedly tried to sell us the same stuff and just stood in front of us repeatedly. It was pretty uncomfortable. If you have an idea where you want to go, you'll have no problem getting a taxi when you get off the ship. Good luck!
Thanks. Dawn was one of those I saw mentioned for snorkeling. I will strike it from the list. I guess Orient is the best beach to go to and maybe just pass on the snorkeling. We will be going on to Antigua, Barbados. and St. Lucia - maybe I can hit something there.

We were at Dawn Beach early last month and did not run into many vendors. Many one or two, just said 'no thank you' and they moved on. We went snorkeling while there, however the surf was fairly rough that day. We were still able to snorkel, but I would not recommend it for a novice. Spoke with a vacationer that was there for a week, and he said it was extremely calm the day before.

We also went snorkeling at Coki Beach on St. Thomas. Of the two I'd have to say Coki had the better snorkeling, but it was also more crowded than Dawn Beach.

We were told the same thing at the pier, to go to Dawn Beach to snorkel. I wouldn't recomment it, we didn't see anything and water was rough when we were there also.

You can take a tour to Pinel Island to snorkel. It was OK alot better than Dawn Beach, but now really great. Next time we go in February we are just going to go relax on Orient Beach.

Doing some rethinking. May just do beach on St. Martin and forget the snorkeling. Probably just hop a taxi out to Orient. Hoping to get some time at Cinnamon Bay the day before. My sister and her husband like to hike so may let them do the trail and I can revisit by favorite beach of all time!

Thanks to all for the great advice.

Archived