I could use a little guidence

Heartfruit

I'm camera shopping for my upcoming cruise. I wasn't expecting to do this until two weeks before Christmas when my 8 year old Nikon Coolpic L1 was unexpectedly knocked out of my hands and hit the pavement resulting in several pieces flying off it.

So I've been trying to research cameras. And I'm now really really confused.

My husband already owns a DLSR which he mostly used for astrophotography. So we don't need another high end camera. I'm just looking for something that can sit in my purse and take decent photos.

I would like something that can do a good job in low light as we often take photos in museums or outside at night.

I would like something that can do a better job then my former camera at moving targets (if only so I can photograph the cat).

I liked that my old camera ran off AA rechargeables but I'm willing to look at other batteries so long as they can be removed from the camera so I can carry a second charged one.

I wouldn't mind if the camera was shockproof so I can avoid another situation like in December but that camera had lasted 8 years without such an accident so I'm negotiable on this point.

I don't care if the camera can talk via wifi to my non-existent smart phone.

Ideally, I'd like to keep the camera under $350.

If anyone has any suggestions which cameras I should be looking at I'd appreciate it. I've looked at dozens of reviews now and I think I'm more confused then I was when I started.

A few to consider for starters (all available from B&H):

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7, $319. A very good Leica lens and a very fast aperture for a portable camera. Less of a zoom range than the others, but should be outstanding in low light.

Canon PowerShot S110, $259. I have an earlier version (S95) and it's a great camera. Not as good low light performance across the zoom range as the LX7.

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-LF1, $299. Longer zoom range than the others, but not as fast of a lens. Should be good for low light in the widest mode, but less so with zoom.

Nikon COOLPIX P330, $264. More or less Nikon's version of the S110 (or the S110 is Canon's version of the P330).

These are all relatively compact advanced point and shoot cameras. They'll typically have a number of scene settings, and will have most of the options of a DSLR, just in a pocket camera. They'll have proprietary batteries, but you can almost always buy a second battery, although the only time I ever had an issue with my S95 is when I forgot to recharge the battery!

I'm kind of honing in on your "low light" and "moving target" areas with these; you don't have to spend this much for a very good point and shoot, but these have the advantage of good low light performance in a small frame. Shock resistant isn't really a part of this category, unfortunately.

There's probably a Sony or two that will be comparable, but they didn't pop up on my search.

I highly recommend the Nikon P330. I have this camera and it is very feature loaded - but your husband might want it for him...

For under $300 it is probably the best camera you can buy.

I also bought a second battery for it, which it sounds like something you may want to do.

http://www.althephoto.com/cameras/p330.php

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentax-mx-1/8

This is the link to the DPReview of the Pentax MX-1, I just got one for my wife. It's a few oz's heavier then tiny P&S (easier to hold) but still fits her purse fine.

If you scroll down it let's you compare it's ability to any 3 other cameras listed. In the main test image is a small box with a scrolling border that you can move all around the pic to see how different surfaces look in comparison. I continue to compare other highly rated cameras and find that the crispness, contrast and saturation to be superior.

It does great in low light, the shake assistance is outstanding, it's very easy to switch programs from full auto to full manual, and I feel it is very worthy of consideration. $250 at Adorama right now.

First couple test shots:

Bee01-untouched.jpg

cinn01.jpg

sunset01.jpg

Edited by shootr

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentax-mx-1/8

If you scroll down it let's you compare it's ability to any 3 other cameras listed.

I noticed the article is a bit limited as it does not even show the P330 for comparison, which has the same sized sensor and is useable up to ISO 3200!

Edited by awboater

Well, they list about 300 cameras, and whole load are Nikon's, pick one and let me know which ones for 300.00 measure up. The D4 does seem to give it a run though...:D

Being a fan of a brand tends to skew an unbiased perspective. The detail in that 11 page review is hardly limited.

Edited by shootr

Bummer, MX-1 is discontinued.

Looks like the Nikon P7700 has same sensor as P330 (and the MX-1) and those test shots look beautiful.

Only thing I would miss is that across the zoom range, the Nikon jumps up to F5.6 where the MX-1 never goes above F2.5, otherwise I can see why people really enjoy it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=936161&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Definitely a good consideration.

I'm camera shopping for my upcoming cruise. I wasn't expecting to do this until two weeks before Christmas when my 8 year old Nikon Coolpic L1 was unexpectedly knocked out of my hands and hit the pavement resulting in several pieces flying off it.

With you next camera, get in the habit of wrapping the strap around your wrist. If it does not come with a strap, buy one from Jodie's Camera Straps. Not only will this limit the possibility of your new camera hitting the pavement but lower the chance of it being stolen out your hand.

Glenn:cool:

With you next camera, get in the habit of wrapping the strap around your wrist. If it does not come with a strap, buy one from Jodie's Camera Straps. Not only will this limit the possibility of your new camera hitting the pavement but lower the chance of it being stolen out your hand.

Glenn:cool:

LOL I'm actually a big fan of wrist straps. The strap became entangled in my glove which I was trying to take off to better operate the camera. It was actually incredibly bad luck that I got jostled from behind, just as I was trying to correct the situation. Although to be fair, I'm not sure how much longer my old camera would have lasted as the door of the battery compartment was starting to go. I already had in mind that a replacement would likely be needed in the 6-12 month range... the pavement just moved that date up a little.

Thanks to everyone who has responded you've been a great help.

My husband already owns a DLSR which he mostly used for astrophotography. So we don't need another high end camera. I'm just looking for something that can sit in my purse and take decent photos.

I would like something that can do a good job in low light as we often take photos in museums or outside at night.

I would like something that can do a better job then my former camera at moving targets (if only so I can photograph the cat).

Ideally, I'd like to keep the camera under $350.

I just went through this exact same exercise looking for a "pocket" camera with a fast lens, RAW capture and moderate zoom for around the ship so I didn't have to lug the DSLR around all the time on our upcoming Carnival Valor cruise. I researched until my eyes and brain hurt!

I narrowed it down to two cameras that have been mentioned previously; the Nikon Coolpix P330 and the Canon Powershot S110. I wasn't married to either brand as my DSLR is a Canon and my underwater/tough camera is a Nikon (AW110). It pretty much came down to a "pick em" with a slight edge towards the P330 as it was the top rated subcompact camera in Consumer Reports. I was about about ready to order it, it was actually in the shopping cart at Amazon. . .

Until. . .

I looked at the Panasonic Lumix FZ200 thread here (Thanks guys :D). Now I'm leaving the big DSLR (and all its lenses and associated weight) at home and the FZ200 will be the walking around the ship camera, it just wont be the "pocket" camera, the Nikon AW110 will serve that function. However the FZ200 is outside your price range, although it did drop about $25 since I bought mine a few weeks ago.

Chuck

Medina, OH

I am also looking at compact cameras. I'm obsessed with having a viewfinder, but if I wasn't, I would be strongly considering the Panasonic Lumix DMC LX-7. It has an incredible lens and should be really good in low light situations.

I am also looking at compact cameras. I'm obsessed with having a viewfinder, but if I wasn't, I would be strongly considering the Panasonic Lumix DMC LX-7. It has an incredible lens and should be really good in low light situations.

Unfortunately, viewfinders are getting to be dinosaurs in the P&S world. I gave up on them a few years ago, VERY reluctantly!

Wow are you in for some pleasant surprises. 8 yrs is a lifetime in cameras. You'll be amazed at how good the P&S are today. Any of the ones mentioned would be a good choice. Go to a store and handle the ones you are thinking of and see how they feel in your hands.

Hi Cindy -- I'm like you, I really prefer having a viewfinder, and it's getting harder and harder to find one on any camera except a DSLR. Some years ago, the owner of my wonderful Mom and Pop camera store said "if it doesn't have a viewfinder, it's a phone, not a camera." Sadly, that's no longer the case.

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 12 MP Digital Camera looks like a good option.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-LF1-Digital-Camera/dp/B00CFCTDMC%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAI62SSPLIHX7AR6PA%26tag%3Dsnapsort-686-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB00CFCTDMC

This may not matter if the viewfinder obsession is aesthetic but if it is just a usability issue you might consider that when I set my Sony's LCD brightness to "Sunny Weather", it is very visible even when the sun is behind me. Unfortunately, this option is a manual choice only and the auto-brightness won't scale up to that level. Check and see if some of your viewfinder-challenged choices have this feature. I know the RX-100 does but am not sure about some of the others.

Dave

Edited by pierces

This may not matter if the viewfinder obsession is aesthetic but if it is just a usability issue you might consider that when I set my Sony's LCD brightness to "Sunny Weather", it is very visible even when the sun is behind me. Unfortunately, this option is a manual choice only and the auto-brightness won't scale up to that level. Check and see if some of your viewfinder-challenged choices have this feature. I know the RX-100 does but am not sure about some of the others.

Dave

It's not really about the visibility of the screen. I just like holding the camera up to my eye. I think it has something to do with the "old dog/new tricks" thing!:eek:

I just bought the lumix fz200. It has an electronic view finder, lcd screen articulates , the big bonus is constant 2.8 aperature at full zoom which is 600 mm. I am just experimenting now but pic quality very good. Not a pocket camera, but is light, will leave my slr at home, also have an Olympus TG 2 tough which is a pocket camera. My $.02 worth!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

My point and shoot is actually a used Nikon D40......I got a great deal on it on craigslist. You can also get great used ones from key.com

I am constantly loaning it out to my friends to borrow with the 18-55vr lens. They have taken it to China, and florida.

It is an older entry level Nikon dslr, but its small. Couple that with the 35mm F1.8 lens, its a very small lens and all your bases would be covered for less then your looking to spend. Although it is only 6mp, it will absolutely take better photos then a dedicated P&S, be better in low light, and focus so much better and easier. Using it in daylight is not an issue as you look through the viewfinder. It will also fit in most purses........ I would be happy to answer and questions regarding it....Greg