Cunard changing QM2 cabin categories, yet again?

maina

We're already booked on westbound transatlantic for this October, but I just went to look at deck plans, dreaming of an upgrade since our trip seems to be under-booked (at least judging from the available Britannia balcony cabins). I discovered new, to me, deck plans starting in May 2015.

http://booking.cunard.com/cu/QM_deck_plans.pdf

Britannia cabins have reverted to multiple categories, for example, currently for sheltered balcony on lower decks 4-5-6 there is just midships (BC) and fore and aft grouped together (BD). In the new system taking effect in May 2015, there are now 4 groupings for lower deck sheltered: forward, aft, and two different ones midships (one being more in the direct middle, and the other category being mid but on either end of the mid-mid). I didn't look closely at details of other cabin or suite categories, but it looks as though there is a finer breakdown for those as well, compared with the current plans. Any idea why Cunard has done this? I kind of like the current system compared with what it was when we did our first transatlantic on the QM in 2012--fewer decisions to make now :D

Ann

Edited by maina

In the plan at the link you provided the most fundamental change is a split in mid-ship locations. Now there appears to be mid-aft, mid-forward and mid-mid. Two guesses:

1) to require the payment of a higher guarantee fare from those who want to be dead mid-ship. (Or who wish to specifically avoid certain sections of the ship.)

2) perhaps claim that they are giving free upgrades since any stateroom in a higher category than the one booked is technically an upgrade.

Does this affect those who already booked but now find their booked staterooms in a different sub-category?

Edited by BlueRiband

I can't believe the short duration of these deck plans. One big difference I see is that in the current plan, obstructed balconies are a higher grade than sheltered. But on my crossing in May, they were a lower grade. And on the new version, they become a lower grade again. I like sheltered balconies, and I would hate to be "upgraded" from one of those to an obstructed balcony. Those life boats are sooo ORANGE!

We always have our reservation marked "no upgrade."

Deck 8 obstructed view cabins are in a lower grade currently and appear to remain so in the new plans, albeit with a distinction between those that are midships and those that are not. There look to be a few unobstructed balcony cabins on deck 8 as well in a different category (higher grade than sheltered balcony). Deck 8 obstructed view cabins I believe were downgraded below the sheltered balcony cabins in the most recent "remapping" (i.e., the current layout). When we were on board in 2012, those obstructed view cabins were a higher grade, so people were upset to be "upgraded" to them from sheltered balcony.

According to the deck plans shown on the Cunard website found here http://www.cunard.com/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/

following instructions to "Download this deck plan if your Queen Mary 2 cruise departs before 10 May 2015"...

Balcony

Midships High Decks 8,11 =Category BA

Forward High Decks 8,11,12 =Category BB

And a separate link on that page for voyages May 10, 2015 onwards

Balcony

Midships High Deck 11 = BB

Midships High Decks 8,11 = BC

Forward High Decks 8,11,12 =BF

I have no idea what Cunard is playing at with repeated changes in cabin categories, but I remember running into a problem last year. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1860425&highlight=cabin+categories

Edited by Salacia

Actually Salacia, Mr Struthers staff are trying out their act before being booked as "illusionists" on the bill for the Royal Court Theatre on board.

Before being hired by Cunard, they debut as "find the pea under the cup" street artists.

According to the deck plans shown on the Cunard website found here http://www.cunard.com/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/

following instructions to "Download this deck plan if your Queen Mary 2 cruise departs before 10 May 2015"...

Balcony

Midships High Decks 8,11 =Category BA

Forward High Decks 8,11,12 =Category BB

And a separate link on that page for voyages May 10, 2015 onwards

Balcony

Midships High Deck 11 = BB

Midships High Decks 8,11 = BC

Forward High Decks 8,11,12 =BF

I have no idea what Cunard is playing at with repeated changes in cabin categories, but I remember running into a problem last year. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1860425&highlight=cabin+categories

The only post-May 2015 Deck 8 staterooms which rank above the sheltered balconies (new BU-BZ) are those forward or aft of the lifeboats, so at least there is no orange blimp directly in front of the balcony. But this won't help those who carefully selected a sheltered only to be placed higher up than they wanted for a technical "upgrade".

A couple of weeks ago we have somebody who had booked "BB" (11 deck forward) but unhappily got "upgraded" to "BA" on 8 deck, directly behind the first obstructed cabin and across from the launderette. There times one wishes the Upgrade Fairy would just get lost.

How can one check if their reservation is truly marked "do not upgrade"? In the US there's no notation of this on the booking confirmation.

Actually Salacia, Mr Struthers staff are trying out their act before being booked as "illusionists" on the bill for the Royal Court Theatre on board.

Before being hired by Cunard, they debut as "find the pea under the cup" street artists.

LOL...It would be nice to see some new entertainment on board :D

I was talking to my Cunard cruise representative last week and she told me of some of the changes in QV for 2015 - and I heartily approve of them!

The lowest QV balcony cabins will now be Deck 4 forward (very noisy because of the bow thrusters) and Deck 8 under the gym (noisy again). Having been in Deck 4 forward twice, I would certainly class them as the lowest grade and would consider an obstructed balcony an upgrade. (After all, it's midships, it has a glass balcony, and you only see the lifeboat if you actually sit out there and the weather is often not good enough for that.)

It seems to me that in this case they are actually listening to what the clients think of the rooms.

Cunard only listen to that information which suits their own ideas.

Passengers have requested new shows, no response we are still getting 7 year old shows.

I wish they would respond to the views that they should get back to the standards that Cunard used to stand for. I remember when in the Chart Room, we received BBQ chicken wings as snacks, now we get a round of stale bread, and a blob of something odd coloured and no taste. In Sir Samuels, we received a decent sized pastry filled with decent sized strawberries . Now we get something about One and Half inches in size with just one slice of strawberry.

For lunch I received a quiche that was a 2 inches across, and one sprig of green leaves. that was the total amount on the plate, light it certainly was. Lunch it certainly was not.

As for the Pursers office, no one there ever proof reads the daily events sheet, we get misinformation, the incorrect date , the wrong port (docked in Southampton the sheet had us docked in Hamburg!!!), wrong info re library, - all this in just one issue!

Come on Cunard, stop the changing around of cabin designations and actually get back to really improving the product.

...Come on Cunard, stop the changing around of cabin designations and actually get back to really improving the product.

Unfortunately cutbacks are inevitable. It can take the form of smaller pastries, no WC parties on shorter voyages, smaller pillow chocolates, reduced dining room staff - or 8 to 9 day TAs. As long as passengers demand lower and lower fares the only way to remain profitable is to control costs. It's not an argument but simple economics.

Evidently the current Cunard customer base is unwilling to pay fares that can sustain the old amenities that you just described.

Unfortunately cutbacks are inevitable. It can take the form of smaller pastries, no WC parties on shorter voyages, smaller pillow chocolates, reduced dining room staff - or 8 to 9 day TAs. As long as passengers demand lower and lower fares the only way to remain profitable is to control costs. It's not an argument but simple economics.

Evidently the current Cunard customer base is unwilling to pay fares that can sustain the old amenities that you just described.

I find it impossible to believe that it is a question of economics.

Instance Cunard sent out information re 2015 cruises, listing so called early booking fare. (for April/May 2015 QV and QM2) I booked this in May of 2014, my fare, lowest price inside cabin was $350 per day. Then just a few weeks later, Cunard were offering these same cruises at HALF that price (yes I cancelled and rebooked I am not brain dead yet). My point is that this far ahead of sail date, Cunard could not know how many "unsold Cabins" there would be. So it could not have been a question of "filling the ship". Even now they cannot tell how well these cruises will sell.

In the fall of2013 , Cunard advertised and sold at FULL price ($350 pd inside cheapest cabin) in the USA , a 19 day Grand Voyage, for July 2014 - yet at the SAME TIME in Germany they were selling the same dates as 2, 4, 2, "short breaks" at ridiculously LOW prices (less than $70 pppd.) . Why did they sell at that low price in Germany for the same cruise as they were charging $350 pd in the USA?

They actually sold to 2,000 people (in separate packages, 6,000 total) at that low figure, and cut their costs by cutting the "experience" to those of us who had paid FULL price. No production shows, no cocktail parties, no formal nights, very mediocre food menu's, often "out of " items like fresh fruit.

So I paid 4 star price and received a 2 star experience, because of Cunard's poor sales policy , a choice Cunard made almost a year in advance when it would not have been possible to forecast the number of unsold cabins.

I can fully understand flash sales within the 90 day of sailing ploy, but it is obvious that someone (Mr Struthers?) is behaving like a street vendor, not the Marketing Ex of a prestigious cruise line .

Hey Jimsgirl, your 70$ p.d.-story is just not true. Please, please stop it now. We all have understood the your journey was a series of unhappy events and feel sorry for you. Please complain to Cunard.

Hey Jimsgirl, your 70$ p.d.-story is just not true. Please, please stop it now. We all have understood the your journey was a series of unhappy events and feel sorry for you. Please complain to Cunard.

My price is true, . I am not asking for any ones sympathy, but warning future cruisers that they may find themselves paying big money for what is supposed to be a "regular cruise " with all the events, food, experience that goes with such cruises, only to find they are just a very small minority swamped by 2,000 "2 day , come as you are cheap trippers". No cocktail parties, not so good food, running out of food.

Others have written re the pushing ,shoving, bad manners (even the Captain had to ask passengers over the pubic address system to behave better at the elevators - not usual on Cunard).The shouting at waiters because they only spoke English , ignoring the Matitre D' allocation of tables.

Cunard are doing these 2-4 day cheap breaks in the middle of cruise after cruise for next 18 months.

Do you think I am so feeble minded that I have not complained to Cunard?

I wrote to Mr Struthers, and I sent an E mail to Cunard CA both July 29th.

No far not one word of reply, my agent tells me that it could take CA, 6 weeks to answer an E mail, - 6 WEEKS to reply to my E mail, -they should take care they do not have a heart attack caused by working so hard.

... but warning future cruisers that they may find themselves paying big money for what is supposed to be a "regular cruise " with all the events, food, experience that goes with such cruises, only to find they are just a very small minority swamped by 2,000 "2 day , come as you are cheap trippers". No cocktail parties, not so good food, running out of food. ... Cunard are doing these 2-4 day cheap breaks in the middle of cruise after cruise for next 18 months. ...
Hi Jimsgirl,

You may have missed my post of 11th August in this thread http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2084123,

so I'll repeat part of it here, if you can help please, thank you :)

Hi Jimsgirl,

Thanks for your useful post :) .

I'm boarding QM2 on September 4th in Southampton. We call at Zeebrugge and Cherbourg before returning to Southampton (we also have a "sea-day").

Should I be concerned? (after reading your warning above)

Will there be many non "English Spoken" on board?

Thanks for your help, and the wisdom of your experiences :) .

Looking forward to hearing from you, thanks.

With all best wishes :) .

Edited by pepperrn

Price of a 2day cruise Hamburg-Southampton or v.v.:

Inside 352 to 440 Euro app. 460 to 570$

Balcony 472 to 590 Euro app. 615 to 770$

Price is per person and does include transfer and flight to/from Heathrow.

I cannot see the 70$ per day fare here.

Edited by cunardaddict

:D

My price is true, . I am not asking for any ones sympathy, but warning future cruisers that they may find themselves paying big money for what is supposed to be a "regular cruise " with all the events, food, experience that goes with such cruises, only to find they are just a very small minority swamped by 2,000 "2 day , come as you are cheap trippers". No cocktail parties, not so good food, running out of food.

Others have written re the pushing ,shoving, bad manners (even the Captain had to ask passengers over the pubic address system to behave better at the elevators - not usual on Cunard).The shouting at waiters because they only spoke English , ignoring the Matitre D' allocation of tables.

Cunard are doing these 2-4 day cheap breaks in the middle of cruise after cruise for next 18 months.

Do you think I am so feeble minded that I have not complained to Cunard?

I wrote to Mr Struthers, and I sent an E mail to Cunard CA both July 29th.

No far not one word of reply, my agent tells me that it could take CA, 6 weeks to answer an E mail, - 6 WEEKS to reply to my E mail, -they should take care they do not have a heart attack caused by working so hard.

I think you are correct ,manners seem to have gone out of the window, since the introduction of the CHEAP fare most of these people who are not used to the standard that Cunard is famous for. We do two or three trips per year and each time we go, something else reduced or change to a cheaper product, they have changed toiletries to us not as good as previous, no doubt a cheaper deal. The only thing that never changes the STAFF the are wonderful I wish the Top Brass would take note and follow the same lines. The entertainment needs looking into some of the acts have been on and on now past their sell by date (For example Adrian Walsh on our last trip) New singers and dancers BUT same old shows a dancer told me new show in September 2014, and a new show each year after so we can still be bored watching same old, same old shows. You mention the 2-4 day cruises I think they Hen and Stag parties once again Top Brass will love these trips with all the drink they will sell a inflated price on ship and anyone just trying a cruise will get the wrong idea.:(

Jimsgirl et al--

Why can't we all stay on topic here? It's so typical of these cruise critic threads to have multiple discussions (and sometimes irrelevant asides) all mushed up together, and frankly it's tiring and not useful to those who come here seeking information or who want to have a focused online conversation. If you have an important issue or something you want to discuss, e.g. about the mis-advertising, short cruises, drop in Cunard standards, Cunard's unresponsiveness, etc., why have the discussion within a thread about something else? Why not have a new thread with topic clearly identified and discuss it within that? Of course I'm contributing to "thread drift" here myself, so perhaps I should take my own advice and start a new one.:D

Ann

Jimsgirl et al-- Why can't we all stay on topic here? ... Ann
Hi Ann,

Sorry Ann, :o Guilty as charged! I only posted last night straight after Jimsgirl as I was hoping to catch her while she was on line to answer my (important to me) question. So sorry to have appeared to go off topic on your thread :o .

Perhaps when Jimsgirl sees this, she'll be as courteous as I'm sure she is on board and heed your request and answer my question on the thread I quoted from ( http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com....php?t=2084123 ). Thank you Jimsgirl.

And thank you Ann, I shall now go away :) .

Edited by pepperrn

pepperrn--No need to feel guilty :D. You are one of the most helpful and polite people in these discussions and I hope we cross paths some day. I was just commenting on the general "drifting" of threads, not necessarily this one in particular, and shall start a new thread on that topic at some point and we'll see what kind of conversation that sets off.

pepperrn--No need to feel guilty :D. You are one of the most helpful and polite people in these discussions and I hope we cross paths some day. I was just commenting on the general "drifting" of threads, not necessarily this one in particular, and shall start a new thread on that topic at some point and we'll see what kind of conversation that sets off.

Drift is a way of life around here. A question is asked, then answered in a few posts, and then a thread could go just about anywhere. I suspect if you start a thread specifically about drift it will be moved to "floataway."

The subject is that Cunard are changing the cabin category names yet again.

The problem is of course that changing a name is simply a paper exercise, "a rose is a rose by any other name", and without any changes within the cabin, a "less desirable cabin remains that regardless no matter what letters are used to define it" Of course changing names does mean you can "con" unsuspecting cruisers into paying more for a cabin than in the past.

To try to answer questions. I asked why Cunard had introduced the 2/3/4/ day trips in the middle of cruises that most of us refer to as Transatlantics. The answer was that Cunard wanted to concentrate on Europe and "Down under" , that USA cruisers wanted the Caribbean, Alaska ,S.America and there were many other ships doing those cruises.

The QM2 cannot go through the Panama Canal as we know.

Will there be a large number of "non English " speakers on the 4 day tripa in Sept?

Wish I could give a definitive answer. I would not have thought so many non English passengers would have been on QM2 in July, - for one thing I did not know Cunard were offering short breaks, also I never would have assumed that they would sell so large a number of cabins for such a short trip.

Usually when they offered "specials" they limited the number of cabins that could be sold, this limited the number of non English passengers so the tension (between passengers ) was never there, also if these are "loss leaders" Cunard could contain the losses and did not need to alter the atmosphere.

In July it was a complete invasion, over a 8 day period we had a grand total of approx. 6,000 non English .

Passengers who had booked the 8 day cruise as one cruise (or part of the Grand Voyage of 19 days) were simply overwhelmed.

We might as well have been on a German ship, and a bottom of the line one at that. Forget a Dress code, etiquette, manners or consideration for other passengers.

I will be on board Sept/Oct and again did not find out until now that once again half way through the cruise there will be "short break trippers" coming on board, and I do suspect that much the same thing will happen again as happened in July.

The package being offered seems to include transport to Souton (from a point in Germany) transport to the ship, the cruise, transport from the ship to air or train and transport back to "wherever", and the cost is quite a "steal" . If you take away the cost of the transports, you will see that the actual cruise itself is very low cost indeed.

Have a good trip.

I will still be on line until Sept 25, so will be anxiously awaiting your report . If you wish to write confidentially my e mail is rafex1@centurylink.net

Lynn

The subject is that Cunard are changing the cabin category names yet again.

The problem is of course that changing a name is simply a paper exercise, "a rose is a rose by any other name", and without any changes within the cabin, a "less desirable cabin remains that regardless no matter what letters are used to define it" Of course changing names does mean you can "con" unsuspecting cruisers into paying more for a cabin than in the past.

(some text deleted)

It isn't always "a rose by any other name." One of the issues seems to be whether to rate obstructed balconies as higher or lower grade than sheltered. Obstructed started out as "better," then were changed to be the lowest/cheapest level of balcony. Cunard also experiments on where to break the long line of cabins into categories. I have two theories on this.

One is that there's somebody new in management who's making changes to show that he/she is doing something "useful."

The other is that they're chasing money. When obstructed balcony cabins got cheaper, they sold faster. Maybe it was people being conned by the price, as you suggest, maybe not. So someone at Cunard said, "Hey, these sell quickly. They must be desirable cabins, let's charge more." And their grade was raised, as were the prices. Then Obstructeds didn't sell as quickly. So someone at Cunard said, "Hmm, better downgrade these and sell them cheap."

Price of a 2day cruise Hamburg-Southampton or v.v.:

Inside 352 to 440 Euro app. 460 to 570$

Balcony 472 to 590 Euro app. 615 to 770$

Price is per person and does include transfer and flight to/from Heathrow.

I cannot see the 70$ per day fare here.

Let us see the figures.

Divide $460 by 2 = $230 pd

Take away cost of air (to and from Hanover to Heathrow ) say $100 leaves $130

Take away cost of bus between Heathrow/ship and ship/Heathrow say another $70 leaves $60 being cost of the actual cruise.

My fare for the lowest price inside cabin for same days was $350 per day for just the cabin, no transport or other facilities.

My per day cost was FIVE TIMES HIGHER than that paid by the "short breakers " for the same type of cabin.

pepperrn--No need to feel guilty. You are one of the most helpful and polite people in these discussions and I hope we cross paths some day.
Thank you Ann for your very kind words :o . I would be honoured and delighted if our paths did cross one day on board one of Cunard's great ships :) .

Sincere best wishes to you.