Best way to take ginger to prevent motion sickness

FLUFFLULA

I get motion sick riding in cars, on amusement park rides, bumpy flights and etc., so I've always taken scopalamine patches on cruises to prevent motion sickness. I haven't had any of the awful side effects that some folks describe with the patches but I've read a number of reports from cruisers who say ginger is great and I think it would be a healthier alternative to prevent motion sickness. So, if you take ginger, please share the amount you take, when you start it and how often you take it.

Many thanks for your help.

I've never tried the ginger capsules (available at GNC and health-food stores), but others swear by them. I prefer the ginger candies. Trader Joes' carries ginger chews and tins of ginger mints. I like the ginger mints because the dissolve quickly in your mouth, and the small tins are easy to pack. In addition to TJ's, Newman's Own makes very good ginger mints. Also, most ships stock ginger ale, which helps too.

You can ginger caplets to take before you feel the effects

I rarely get sick but sometimes the motion does bother me a bit so some flat ginger ale seems to work or ginger candy

it depends on the severity of the symptoms & what works best for you

There are lots of remedies out there, ginger tea, green apples etc..

I do the chewable candy from Trader Joes on the ship. I happen to wear the accupressure wrist bands most of the time so I think it may alleviate the motion sickness and I don't have to think abt it. If it gets to much, I grab the candy. I've never seen the ginger mints in a tin mentioned but would like to try that too.

Good luck!

I always take ginger starting 2-3 days before the cruise, every day on the cruise, and 2-3 days after the cruise to avoid "sea legs". For me 2 capsules a day are enough. WebMD recommends 250 mg 4 times daily.

I also bring Bonine (Meclezine) as a back-up for rough sea days.

Editing: forgot to add, if you are taking blood thinners, ask the doctor if you can take ginger.

Edited by Dayenu

I get sick much less on a cruise ship than I do riding in a car. I take meclizine the night before I leave and the morning before I get on the ship and then again first evening on the ship and then only take it again if the captain says that it is going to be rough. The little bit of queasiness that I have had was handled be either ginger chews or taking powdered ginger capsules, usually taken with a glass of ginger ale for good measure.

If you have serious motion sickness issues, you probably should have your doctor prescribe something. For most people, cruise ships are quite well stabilized and getting used to the mild motion is actually enjoyable. Candied ginger - available at supermarkets, delis, etc. really does have a good settling effect - just chew a couple every day.

I know that some people aren't supposed to use ginger is they use certain meds - so it might be worth checking with your doctor.

Like you, I use the patch but am rethinking it for my next cruise. I don't have the side effects, but last cruise I didn't feel right by about day 5. It wasn't anything specific, but I just felt 'off'. This cruise I'm trying acupuncture. I am seeing a practitioner here at home (one I see for my back) the day before we travel, and she's advised me to go to the acupuncturist after we board. I'll carry the patch & maybe Bonine with me in case I have troubles, but it would be. Ice to be drug free. Maybe look into acupuncture or acupressure?

• 2 weeks later...

I received my Bottom Line Health magazine this week, and this is what it says- raw fresh ginger is the best way to take ginger. It contains higher levels of active ingredients. It does not cause an upset stomach. You need to eat about a quarter inch slice each day. You can also grate it, and add it to tea.

I haven't tried this, but I plan to.

What works for one person might not for the next person. Seems like it's best to try out some different remedies sometime before your cruise. See what doesn't give you side effects. Ask your doctor if you're on only medication to make sure you're not taking something that is counterindicted (for example, if you're on blood thinners, he/she might tell you to avoid ginger).

Many medications make me drowsy so before a cruise, I make a trip to the closest Cost Plus World Market (unfortunately the one closest is now some 10 miles away) and get different types of ginger candy. The mints that come in the tin that someone mentioned might be the Altoids ginger flavored ones.

The good thing about candied ginger (many grocery stores will have this) and candy ginger is that there isn't any dosage level.

I too am prone to sea sickness and have had vertigo in the past.

I take prescribed meclizine 2x a day same as bonine but more pills for less price and also take the ginger capsules 1x at least 3 days before my flight and during flights, train, car and boat rides.

In addition I have the ginger candy which has helped too.

My sea bands have never worked for me.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/298700-how-to-use-ginger-pills-for-motion-sickness/