Insurance question please

bluehenfan

Booked a cruise for April 2015 but didn't want insurance offered by cruise line. I need insurance covering pre existing conditions. How long can I wait before purchasing it ? Thanks !

It probably varies somewhat with different insurance companies, but typically you need to buy insurance that would cover a pre-existing condition within two weeks to thirty days of booking your cruise. If you go to insuremytrip.com, you can look at several different plans, and also read the required time frame for purchasing insurance to cover a pre-existing condition.

One seller on insuremytrip (offhand I forget which) sets the pre-existing conditions waiver period to final payment rather than initial payment (i.e., if you purchase within X days of final payment they waive the pre-existing conditions clause). As a rule most insurers require you to purchase insurance within 14-21 days of initial payment. Definitely shop early for the most flexibility.

One thing to consider if you think you may cancel the booking prior to final payment (for full cruise fare refund) is that the insurance premium is usually not refundable after 10 days.

EDIT: A little Googling tells me that one insurer that waives pre-existing conditions until 24 hours after final payment is CSA.

http://tripinsurancestore.com/csas-final-payment-deadline-wording/

Edited by Underwatr

Booked a cruise for April 2015 but didn't want insurance offered by cruise line. I need insurance covering pre existing conditions. How long can I wait before purchasing it ? Thanks !

You can't wait too long as in order to have a pre-existing waiver included most policies must be purchased within 10-21 days (Number of days vary by Company) from the actual booking date. You can compare policies by using any of the following websites:

http://www.insuremytrip.com

http://www.quotewright.com

http://www.squaremouth.com

Edited by xxoocruiser

Never understood that part. Until final payment (or when I buy airfare) none of my money is at risk. I could just cancel and get everything back - no reason for insurance.

I understand tying the insurance deadline to final payment for a cruise and when you purchase none refundable plane tickets as that is when you now risk being out of pocket

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One seller on insuremytrip (offhand I forget which) sets the pre-existing conditions waiver period to final payment rather than initial payment (i.e., if you purchase within X days of final payment they waive the pre-existing conditions clause). As a rule most insurers require you to purchase insurance within 14-21 days of initial payment. Definitely shop early for the most flexibility.

One thing to consider if you think you may cancel the booking prior to final payment (for full cruise fare refund) is that the insurance premium is usually not refundable after 10 days.

EDIT: A little Googling tells me that one insurer that waives pre-existing conditions until 24 hours after final payment is CSA.

Agree...Call Steve at The Trip Insurance Store...great personal service that will answer all your questions OP.

Another good source is tripinsurancestore. You can visit their website or call them at 1-888-407-3854 & talk to a real person who can give you accurate info. While most policies must be purchased within about 2 weeks from initial payment, they do offer some that only require purchase within 24 hours of final payment.

Have a great cruise.

Guest maddycat

If you do cancel the cruise before final payment, you might be allowed to transfer the insurance coverage to a future cruise.

For the insurance I buy, to get pre-existing conditions and cancel for any reason, I need to get it within 21 days from deposit.

Also something to be aware of is some consider if you use a Next Cruise Certificate that would be considered date of deposit...this is something to consider and question.

All the more reason to keep CSA bookmarked - pre-existing conditions waived up to final payment.

But if the Next Cruise Certificate doesn't have a date, destination or trip value at the time of purchase I don't know how you'd go about purchasing insurance at that point in time.

Edited by Underwatr

As you guys are a little behind UK with travel insurance which we've had for years, you may not be aware that not all pre-existing conditions will be covered. May be a good idea to chat with insurance companies before booking.

I have a relative who cannot get insurance at any price and cancer patients cannot get insurance within a certain time of treatment either (can't remember if its 6 months or 12 months).

As long as medically cleared to travel at the time of travel booking and any pre-existing condition waiver conditions are met (such as purchasing insurance within a certain time of initial booking), there are no medical exclusions for most travel insurance in the US.

Edited by Underwatr