Salaverry, Peru and Quito, Ecuador

loum140

• 2 weeks later...

We returned a few days ago from an Oceania Cruise that stopped in these ports, ending in Lima. I presume that for Quito you mean the port of Manta. Quito is quite far inland and you have to fly there.

In Manta we paid $10 each way for a taxi to take us to Monticristi. This is the town where the Panama Hats are made. The ships excursion which was a bus ride was $89 per person. There is not much in Monticristi except to shop at the stalls and to walk in to a few small shops where they have one person showing how the hat is made by hand. There was one old church in the town square that we also walked throught. We did not go to Manta itself, although the ship offered a free shuttle. All in all Manta is not an exciting port. A maximum of 2 hours would be needed in Montecristi (the taxi wanted $20 roundtrip and they would wait an hour but we did not know how long we were going to stay so we paid $10 each way).

In Salaverry we arranged for a private excursion that due to our roll call ended up with 12 people. $100 per person if it was only 2 of us and it went down to $65 per person for 12. This was a spectacular tour including the temple ruins of the sun and moon, the museum, the town and the beach to see the reed boats. Our friends on Oceania charged an astounding $285 per person for the same trip (same company). We were on a 29 passenger mini bus. At the ruins we purchased a small booklet with pictures and the author was our guide, it doesn't get much better.

This is the info and contact info

- We go out from the Port to Huacas del Sol and La Luna.

09:00 a.m. - We arrive to the temple of the Moon (Luna) to visit the new Museum and the archaeological site.

10:40 a.m. - We go to the historic center of Trujillo.

11:10 a.m. -Visit of the Main Square, Cathedral, Urquiaga and Emancipation houses.

12:20 p.m. - This is the time to go to Chan Chan.

12:40 p.m. - We are in the archaeological site of Chan Chan. The tour is for about one hour.

13:40 p.m. - We go out to the fishing village of Huanchaco.

14:00 p.m. - We are in Huanchaco to see the reed boats "Caballitos de Totora".

14:30 p.m. - Return to Salaverry port.

The operator:

Alfredo Rios Mercedes

Official Tour Guide

949657978 RPM: *728475

email: Trujillodelperu@hotmail.com

Just in Salaverry, I would visit the Chan Chan which is the largest pre-Colombian city in South America. You can either book it through the cruise line or at the pier you could book a private tour.

In Manta, you could go to Montecristi which we did. I would go to the shopping area that is right in Manta. You can get the same items that are in Montecristi at prices that are just as good.

Keith

• 1 month later...

On your review, we are booking with him tomorrow as well. Thanks for answering my question about Mantra so easily. Hoping your cruise was as wonderful as Oceania always does it. They are remarkable, truly care and listen to our comments all these years. The Marina, in particular, has a crew that mesh perfectly with Boris as their lead! Cruised on it in fall. Appreciate your comments.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Loum140:

Try contacting Paul Cusinga, his website has tours which include the 4 ports in Peru (Trujillo City - Salaverry Port; Lima City - Callao Port; Ica City - San Martin Port and Arequipa - Matarani Port). I am sure he will sort something out for you for one or two days depends on your time.

We booked different tours with Paul when we were in Lima, Ica and Trujillo from the Star Princess last year, and he was wonderful. It wasn't one of his advertised tours, he's quite happy to 'tailor made' your day for you. Speaks better English than I do!! He picked us up from right beside the ship and returned us in good time for sailing and we paid in cash on the day.

His details are:

Email: info@peruincawonders.com

I hope that, whatever you decide to do, you have a fabulous trip.

Norwegian Wind - Alaska - Sept. 2002

Norwegian Crown - New England & Canada - Oct. 2004

Regal Princess - Manaus to F.L. - April 2006

Celebrity Summit - Panama Canal - Feb.2007

Norwegian Jade - Egypt & Greek Islands - Sept 2009

Star Princess - Chile to Fort Lauderdale- March 2012

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Just a warning on Alfredo Rios Mercedes

Official Tour Guide

949657978 RPM: *728475

email: Trujillodelperu@hotmail.com

We were in Salaverry, Peru, two weeks ago and had booked a tour with the above firm. When we arrived in port we were advised that the port authorities were going to close the port at noon due to the threat of high seas. We were not allowed to leave the ship, all tours were cancelled, and we sailed on before noon.

Of course the cruise line, Oceania, refunded all tour payments for tours organized by them. But, Mr. Mercedes refused to return the deposits of any of his guests.

We emailed him of the very short-sighted nature of this decision but he refused to refund our money. So, we're out our deposits. Really bad decision on his part.

Other threads have praised his tour, which is why we booked…just be aware of the risk.

• 1 year later...

Not sure if the tour operator up-dated his Refund info after 2014, but when I recently contacted him, his email stated there was a down-payment of $30.00pp w/ a 50% down-payment return if the ship is unable to dock (ie, a $15.00pp split for booking out the date for the cruise passengers). I found this true in a few other S American ports from the independent tour guides as well.

Edited by ljones

We stopped in Salaverry in November. The cruise line led us to believe that there would be limited taxi service available and offered a $20 pp shuttle to town. We decided to take our chances and once we got off the ship, we easily hired a van to take a group at a cost of $15 each for transportation and we paid our own admissions. The tour included Chan Chan, a brief stop in the center of Trujillo, and the Huacas including time at the museum. With transportation, entrance fees, tips, and tour guides it was around $32 per person. Since we went to Chan Chan first, it was very uncrowded.

• 2 months later...
Hi Loum140:

Try contacting Paul Cusinga, his website has tours which include the 4 ports in Peru (Trujillo City - Salaverry Port; Lima City - Callao Port; Ica City - San Martin Port and Arequipa - Matarani Port). I am sure he will sort something out for you for one or two days depends on your time.

We booked different tours with Paul when we were in Lima, Ica and Trujillo from the Star Princess last year, and he was wonderful. It wasn't one of his advertised tours, he's quite happy to 'tailor made' your day for you. Speaks better English than I do!! He picked us up from right beside the ship and returned us in good time for sailing and we paid in cash on the day.

His details are:

Email: info@peruincawonders.com

I hope that, whatever you decide to do, you have a fabulous trip.

Norwegian Wind - Alaska - Sept. 2002

Norwegian Crown - New England & Canada - Oct. 2004

Regal Princess - Manaus to F.L. - April 2006

Celebrity Summit - Panama Canal - Feb.2007

Norwegian Jade - Egypt & Greek Islands - Sept 2009

Star Princess - Chile to Fort Lauderdale- March 2012

Thanks for mentioning Paul. Until I read your post I was going to go with Alfredo Rios Mercedes. We used Paul in 2011 when we were in Lima for 2 days and he was an excellent guide. I didn't realize that he would travel to Salaverry. I will get in touch with him for our visit next year in April.

Jennie

• 1 year later...

Even though this is an older thread....last post two years ago, I appreciate the great information being shared. I don't know if any of the posters will see this but thank you! This is the most informative thread I have seen for Salaverry/Trujillo.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 5 months later...