Arrival in Papeete at Daybreak

Minoushka

This is my first Oceania Cruise .so far not impressed by Oceanias organizational skills

We are arriving on a charter flight at 6 am .boarding starts at noon or 1 pm .There is no terminal to speak of where we could sit in relative comfort ..so what are we supposed to do until 1 pm ?

Getting a hotel room not available till the pm is retarded ....lugging luggage anywhere is not exactly feasable

Tour operators do not want big bags ...

So pray tell what does one do ..shlepping big luggagecarryons,travel pillowspurse,and winter jackets ....

I hope NCLCorrects this ...terrible first i mpression of a "luxury"line

This is my first Oceania Cruise .so far not impressed by Oceanias organizational skills

We are arriving on a charter flight at 6 am .boarding starts at noon or 1 pm .There is no terminal to speak of where we could sit in relative comfort ..so what are we supposed to do until 1 pm ?

Getting a hotel room not available till the pm is retarded ....lugging luggage anywhere is not exactly feasable

So pray tell what does one do ..shlepping big luggagecarryons,travel pillowspurse,and winter jackets ....

There are many threads on this subject if you just use the search function at the top of the page. Also, not "luxury" but rather premium....

We were on this cruise last year.Those people who arrived on the 6:am charter flight,went directly to the ship and allowed to board and had breakfast and lunch.We arrived 2 days earlier and where permitted to board at 10:00 am.

I was told no we could not board before 1pm .......was this for everyone or just transfer people

No one gives the same answer ...some say go to

Hospitality place pay cab twice,some say drop off luggage then wander off ..others say no drop off till you board ..no where to sit ..others say drop off of luggage available as of 7 am ...same queation all different answers ...very annoying ...hard to do the right thing

Your option sounds perfect even if I would need to hold on to my carry ons while having breakfast or lunch ....why is it we are getting so many different answers ?

Oceania will have somewhere where you can drop off your luggage. When we were there two years ago, we dropped our luggage off at City Hall, where they looked after it for us. We also were able to drop off our hand luggage which they gave us receipts for so that we could wander around Papeete. They had food available for us to eat at City Hall as well, bathroom facilities and an area to sit and rest while waiting to board. Some people were able to leave their luggage right at the port and just kept their carry on luggage with them. At the port, there are taxis and tour guides waiting for business, so that you can fill your day in quite nicely. There is quite a bit to see just around the port, so relax and enjoy the town.

Oceania will have somewhere where you can drop off your luggage. When we were there two years ago, we dropped our luggage off at City Hall, where they looked after it for us. We also were able to drop off our hand luggage which they gave us receipts for so that we could wander around Papeete. They had food available for us to eat at City Hall as well, bathroom facilities and an area to sit and rest while waiting to board. Some people were able to leave their luggage right at the port and just kept their carry on luggage with them. At the port, there are taxis and tour guides waiting for business, so that you can fill your day in quite nicely. There is quite a bit to see just around the port, so relax and enjoy the town.

How did you get to City Hall ..was there an Oceania rep at the airport ?

How much was cab fare ?

When could you board?

Hiw far was city hall from Port ...without heavy luggage could we walk it ?

I believe all of us who had sailed on PG prior had told you to get a day room. You are immediately checked in and have 1/2 day use of it and pool amenities etc and usually a lunch buffet included. We were at Intercontinental thru PG. Don't say you were not warned...

I believe all of us who had sailed on PG prior had told you to get a day room. You are immediately checked in and have 1/2 day use of it and pool amenities etc and usually a lunch buffet included. We were at Intercontinental thru PG. Don't say you were not warned...

That is exactly our experience. On the PG they picked us up after clearing customers..took out luggable, had a great time at the hotel before they picked us up to go to the ship. It isn't a big deal...really. You can probably book a day room online!

I am surprised that Oceania is not providing something. Papeete is kind of a special case, however, with limited facilities at the port.

No, you can't walk from the airport, trust me.

As others have said, get a day room. If one can't be ready in time, ask about "day use", or splurge and book a room for the night before, and ask for late check-out. The hotels usually have luggage storage available, and a place where you can freshen up, get changed, etc., for a fee. Then you can go lie by the pool at least. We hung around the airport for three hours last time waiting for a flight, but 6 hours is a bit much.

I wish PG cheerleaders would realize we are not going on PGBut on Oceania ....i have called Oceania and so has my TA ...all the answers are different ..yrs w can go to Port .no we cannot before our boarding time ,etc etc etc ....like I said depending who answers the phone you get a different answer ...Someone here said the whole charter group went straight to the ship for breakfast ...now that would be nice even if my cabin were not ready ...But was that exceptional or usual ......

.As to what is or what is not available once we land ..i guess being there will clarify ..but shame no one seems on the same page ..nor have the same info

280 of us will land together .........that should be interesting as to what will or will not be organized by the cruise line ...perhaps something perhaps nothing ......if the option to go to City Hall is offered we will take it .......there is no use booking a hotel room for use after midday ....i can board midday ...so no go

Meanwhile ...yes thank you on our last day I did book a hotel wrote to the owner who will pick us up at the port and later that day will drop us off at the airport ....that was the easiest

Im just trying to minimize last minute stress and unexpected occurrences ....or difficult situations

As O cruisers we have been trying to be helpful even if our cruises had been on PG. When you arrive in Papeete very early a.m. nothing is open. Therefore, your dayroom is immediately available (not in the afternoon). It provides you with rest and relaxation and a place to store your luggage. Then in early afternoon you check out and go directly to your ship. Quite simple.

I wish PG cheerleaders would realize we are not going on PGBut on Oceania ....i have called Oceania and so has my TA ...all the answers are different ..yrs w can go to Port .no we cannot before our boarding time ,etc etc etc ....like I said depending who answers the phone you get a different answer ...Someone here said the whole charter group went straight to the ship for breakfast ...now that would be nice even if my cabin were not ready ...But was that exceptional or usual ......

.As to what is or what is not available once we land ..i guess being there will clarify ..but shame no one seems on the same page ..nor have the same info

280 of us will land together .........that should be interesting as to what will or will not be organized by the cruise line ...perhaps something perhaps nothing ......if the option to go to City Hall is offered we will take it .......there is no use booking a hotel room for use after midday ....i can board midday ...so no go

Meanwhile ...yes thank you on our last day I did book a hotel wrote to the owner who will pick us up at the port and later that day will drop us off at the airport ....that was the easiest

Im just trying to minimize last minute stress and unexpected occurrences ....or difficult situations

You are making a simple task stressful. Book a dayroom, take a taxi to the hotel, rest from your flight, check out of the hotel, and take another taxi to the ship. Simple!,,

Also, if you had a good TA they would have instructed you, just like we are. MY TA explained why it is a necessary to get the day room. We had a most enjoyable day and showered and felt fresh prior to getting on board our ship. Otherwise, you will be sitting in the dark at the airport. SIMPLE!

Maybe you could change flights to the charter which arrives at 8:25pm. There would probably be the air deviation fee but maybe no more. We are on the evening flight but I wish we were on the early am charter.

You could book the same hotel for your first day. The owner will pick you up at the airport and later drop you off at the ship. Beni from Fare Suisse?

Take a taxi from the airport to the City Hall. You leave your heavy luggage there, but please make sure that Oceania is using the City Hall for a waiting spot. The ship is walking distance from City Hall and no you don't have to lug your heavy suitcases with you. Sorry, I don't remember the cost, but I know it was cheaper than Oceania's transfer.

For all who are grumpy, as the holiday season is upon us, please lighten up,there is no need to be rude. Some people are not as computer literate as you are.

Like I said I hope someone from Oceania will direct us properly .if we can drop off luggage sure ..at the mairie .it would be helpful

This cruise has been very expensive so far ..so please stop talking about PG?.im not on it ...obviously it has better customer service ...But telling me I should be on it is not helpful ...nor renting a day room ...i will never use it if we board at noon ..the room will only be available at noon

Thanks to those who have tried to help ....the others ...well what can I say ....

Like I said I hope someone from Oceania will direct us properly .if we can drop off luggage sure ..at the mairie .it would be helpful

This cruise has been very expensive so far ..so please stop talking about PG?.im not on it ...obviously it has better customer service ...But telling me I should be on it is not helpful ...nor renting a day room ...i will never use it if we board at noon ..the room will only be available at noon

Thanks to those who have tried to help ....the others ...well what can I say ....

Am I missing something here. I am under the impression that If you get a day room it is available when you arrive at hotel? Perhaps I am wrong. Michele, you are not giving anyone a chance to help you. I understand the expense but I also feel that if I pay this much for a trip I am going to make it the most enjoyable possible and would love to take a cab to hotel, take a shower and just leisurely sit and wait for boarding time. Even if it says you can board at a certain time, your room may not be ready at that time. I am afraid you are setting yourself up for disappointment, and that alone is your problem. Everyone has tried to help you here.