Madeira Island tours any suggestions on itinerary

We are going to use Madeira Island Tours for our cruise stop in Funchal.

They have so many tours to choose from, any suggestions on what is the best tour or the must sees. Is the Toboggan Ride a must do? We are looking for the wonderful picture ops.

Thanks Karen

Hi Karen

Somewhere in the Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar link in my 'signature' below is an old, not-very-good video of Madeira which shows that toboggan run. Personally i think it is overrated and expensive but a lot of people love it. If you are not committed to doing it when you book your tour you could decide at the last minute. Madeira is a charming place and I'm sure a 'proper' tour will hit the highlights. Just walking around the town, that market and harbour is nice too. All the best, Tony

Some people think that toboggan ride is a bit scary and some think it's a bit dangerous. Tom's Port Guides for Madeira (can google them, free, online) tells a horror story of one person's ride. We chose not to do it, as we really didn't want to take the chance of an accident and ruined vacation. It also wasn't exactly cheap. However, we DID at least go up to Monte (with Daniel's Taxi, see below, in a modified, shorter tour) and watched people take off. It's easy to see from the Monte church or the street near by.

The cable car was nice but not a "must do" in my opinion. I really loved the Old Town area of Funchal, where I walked along and looked at the painted doors. I also loved the Sao Tiago fort and the tiny beach behind it.

We'll be doing Madeira on our own in 6 weeks...our ship will be there for a day and a half. For the full day, we'll have a rental car.

These are MY highlights which I would love to do/see:

1 Tobogan ride ... I think it would always bug me to have been to Madeira and NOT have done it.

2. Glas bottom Sky walk at Faro Girao...must be amazing ... like the one at the Grand Canyon ... just that this one is free of charge and you have the shore to gape down on.

3. Short trail along a levada (typical Madeiran water-canal) to a stunning lookout point called Balcoes ... It starts at a town about 40 minutes away by car Ribreio Fria ...or something like that. The hike is easy and takes about an hour for back and forth together.

4. Hazardous trail along the steep Northcoast cliff between Sao Jorge and Calau to an old fisherman's port... A highlight for us ... but I believe a wee bit more thrilling than the Tobogan ride;).

5. High Tea at the Luxury class hotel Reids... you need to have reservations (weeks before!) and won't be admitted to the holy grounds unless you're wearing at least smart casual attire. Lol -- and THEY mean by that: Suit for the men and cocktail dress for the ladies. It's also hiddeously expensive .... but just like the Tobogan ride .... a Madeira must do, if you ask me.

Have fun!

I'll write a picture review when we return and report in all detail how it all worked out. Lol -- I get quite the practice in writing those nowadays. Be my guest to check it out!

Stef

Edited by Kreuzfahrtneuling
typo

You're lucky to have a full day and a half in Madeira! Your itinerary sounds wonderful, but since you'll be so close to Camara de Lobos, I would pop by there for at least a short visit. Also, as I guess I already mentioned, I found Funchal itself to be a nice place.

Cabo Girao is fun but don't expect a large platform, because it isn't!

I don't know where it is, but on the way down the Daniel of Madeira taxi driver stopped briefly at a small place where a small cable car from the cliff to the shore stopped. It was interesting to see the cable car and its cable with the small beach below. We were told that it IS used by the people farming below.

As I headed head back to the port, there is a very high point with people up there, watching the ferry pull in. If I had been in a car, I would have found a way to go up there - just out of curiosity, and just for fun!