Istanbul Asian side?

Hi all.

Istanbul sounds amazing, can't wait to see it myself.

All the attractions seem to be around the mosques on the European side.

Are there any sights worth seeing on the Asian side?

Thanks in advance.

For a first time visitor with limited time in Istanbul, I would not consider visiting the Asian side of the city a high priority. There are things to see there, but they are all way, way down the list compared to Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Topkapı, Spice Market, etc.

If you happen to be an engineering buff, you can take the new Marmaray light rail that passes underneath the Bosphorus. It is kind of an amazing thing if you think about it, even if it just feels like another boring subway ride. Anyway, you can do a round trip in less than 30 minutes and you can say you were in Asia.

Anyway, you can do a round trip in less than 30 minutes and you can say you were in Asia.

Let me just add that you should keep in mind that if your cruise stops in any other Turkish ports (such as Kusadasi, Izmir, Bodrum, Antalya), you will be in Asia then. No need to take the time to do it while you are in Istanbul -- there is so much to see there.

Edited by cruisemom42

Right off the Bosporus Bridge is the Beylerbeyi Palace which is like a smaller version of the Dolmabahce Palace across the river. Very nice gardens around the palace and very easy to get into the residence and see the lavishness of the late Ottoman Sultans.

Crossing the Bosporus either by bridge, ferry, or cruise is always impressive.

Florence Nightingale's hospital (Scutari) is visible across the Bosphorus from Topkapi Palace. I've no idea what's inside or even whether it's open to the public, though.

We didn't attempt to visit it, even though I understand that it means a lot to those who follow Ms. Nightingale's work. We did travel to the Asian side, as these days it's a short drive from the European side by car.

However, if this is your first trip to Istanbul, I would suggest to you that it might be to your advantage to stay on the European side. There are many sights to see - and even a week may not be enough time.

Should you decide to cross over, then I would strongly recommend getting a car and driver to take you around, but to come back to Istanbul by water taxi and admire the beautiful homes along the shore....

Florence Nightingale's hospital (Scutari) is visible across the Bosphorus from Topkapi Palace. I've no idea what's inside or even whether it's open to the public, though.
It is now an army barracks, so I'm guessing closed to the public, but it also houses the Florence Nightingale Museum, which is apparently accessible on Saturdays with prior arrangement. It sounds interesting, but I would say this is for advanced visitors to Istanbul only!

A ferry across the Bosphorus would allow one a closer view of the barracks, and Haydarpaşa rail station, and the Maiden's Tower, and that may be enough for a first contact with the Asian side of Istanbul. Plus the view back towards the European side can be pretty spectacular (you will also see it from your cruise ship).