Cruising w/ Babies

Kris1114

Ok, so some of you may think I'm crazy for considering this, but in everyone's opinion, is it a terrible idea to bring a 8 month old baby on a cruise? I had a baby girl in August, & both my husband & I are dying for a cruise. We need to get away!

Was thinking of the short Sensation 4 day (with all the new renovations:) in May, which would make the baby 8 months old. Olivia is a happy, smiley baby, who is easily consoled when upset (Finally! It wasn't always like that:). We thought we would take one of the new 98 balcony rooms. This way, if confined to the room (since she is too young to my knowledge for babysitting), we could get drinks, food whatever, & listen to music (at a reasonable volume:) on the balcony.

Am I nuts? (Please say no, ha! ha!)

Kristin

i will be going on a cruise on feb 1st with my family, including my nephew who was born on june 23rd. im very excited about it and we arent worried at all. we take him out to eat alot to get him used to the dining room and my sister plans on buying a mini inflatable pool for him to use on te lido deck. shell prob post more when she sees this thread...

Ok, so some of you may think I'm crazy for considering this, but in everyone's opinion, is it a terrible idea to bring a 8 month old baby on a cruise? I had a baby girl in August, & both my husband & I are dying for a cruise. We need to get away!

Was thinking of the short Sensation 4 day (with all the new renovations:) in May, which would make the baby 8 months old. Olivia is a happy, smiley baby, who is easily consoled when upset (Finally! It wasn't always like that:). We thought we would take one of the new 98 balcony rooms. This way, if confined to the room (since she is too young to my knowledge for babysitting), we could get drinks, food whatever, & listen to music (at a reasonable volume:) on the balcony.

Am I nuts? (Please say no, ha! ha!)

Kristin

Getting away from what?

You asked for opinions so here it is.

A new baby can be quite a challenge for a couple. For the past 8 months you and your husband have lost sleep and your social life has changed. Need I mention the time alone you used to have?

Why not consider taking a short cruise without the baby? This would be a perfect way for you and your husband to recharge and get to know each other again. New parents need a break now and then and perhaps grandma would love to get to spend some time with the new grand baby.

Just an idea.

Another thing you could do is to offer to take grandma with you on the cruise in her own stateroom with the baby. That way you and your husband can still have time alone with no worries and still have the baby around.

LOL! We just had this conversation with our kids the other day. They are going to try for my first grandchild late spring of next year........

Although we are all cruiseoholics. We all cruise and do Vegas together every year.......we all agreed no cruises or Vegas with kidlet......we will be doing more Hawaii trips in a condo...........:)

We also don't feel we need to expose our youngin to the many germs in such a tight setting from around the world..........

my sister plans on buying a mini inflatable pool for him to use on te lido deck.

How are you going to fill it? More importantly how and where are you going to empty it?

If your nuts, then I am too!! Like Berls (my sis) said, we're taking our son in February when he'll be 7 mo. I do agree with Ron about having some family travel with you (if they can afford it and are free) My sister, her bf, and our parents are all traveling with us as well. We're planning on doing baby friendly excursions that we all want to go on (lots of beach time to escape New England winters) this way everyone can enjoy time together and help out. We are planning on getting a small pool that we can put out of the way on Lido between our deck chairs that he can play in. It's also a necessity since there are no tubs for bath time in the cabins other than suites, and a smelly baby covered in sunscreen isn't any fun at all. He's used to eating in restaurants, since he goes out with us at least twice a week, so we're not concerned about the DR at all. He's also on a good schedule, which I think is going to be a big help. Carnival takes babies in their babysitting at night (10pm-3am) so you can have some of "alone" time to go to the clubs or late shows. There's also a TON of helpful information about cruising with babies on the family cruise board, so you might want to check that out. In the end it's up to you and what you think your baby can handle, no one knows her better than you!

How are you going to fill it? More importantly how and where are you going to empty it?

We're planning on filling it with a bucket from the shower & letting it warm up in the sun for a bit. We'll empty it the same way, down the shower drain! I didn't want to be one of "those parents" who take their non-potty trained kids and let them play in the big pool. The one we have is very small and won't be in anyone's way. :)

We're planning on filling it with a bucket from the shower & letting it warm up in the sun for a bit. We'll empty it the same way, down the shower drain! I didn't want to be one of "those parents" who take their non-potty trained kids and let them play in the big pool.

The one we have is very small and won't be in anyone's way. :)

Might could work.

my sister plans on buying a mini inflatable pool for him to use on te lido deck...

We did this for our son when he wasn't potty trained, it worked great. We used the water from the pool, we just got a bucket that they use for beer. We took the little pool to the back of the boat one deck up from the pool and he happily played in the pool while DH and I enjoyed the sun. We weren't in anyone's way, and people said that it was such a great idea.

My sister took my niece on our Thansgiving cruise when she was 9 monhts old. She had a blast. She brought some of those gerber toddler meals for her, but there was food she could eat on the boat. It worked out fine. Oh, and she is not too young for babysitting, she is too young for camp carnival but if you want to see a show she can go to the night time babysitting that they charge a fee for.

I think we can pull this off! When I say we need to "get away" I don't mean from the baby, just that I need to relax, something that the baby is affording me more & more of:) Besides, If I don't bring her, I will probably just worry about her! Bringing grandma is a thought, maybe for Christmas if we can find the money in time of course! Only problem now that I think of it, is that we coudn't afford to bring both parent's & if you only have one adult in the cabin it is more money right? AND, my mom is claustrophobic to boot & wouldn't fair well in an inside cabin, OH WELL, guess that won't work!

Hey, the pool thing sounds like a good idea as long as it's small enough. But I still don't quite get it! Fill it up from the shower in your room? & walk through the halls & elevators with it to the top deck? Or did you mean somewhere else?:) Ha! Ha!

I think as long as we are considerate to other passengers we will be fine!

you do realize when at dinner there are no high chairs, booster seats (are the cruise ships telling us something here ) so if you like holding your child while eating your meal. also unless you have the cat. 11 or cat. 12 suite, it is showers only. the sink is real small on no counter to the side, so giving a bath will be a challenge. i am with the poster than mentioned the germs thing. every tom, dick, and harry may want to touch the baby, as people do and goodness knows where their hands have been. go for it, i wouldn't do it. we took my grandson at 21 mons. old, but had a support system of 2 parents and 2 grandparents. only because my husband (worlds best grandpaw) would have to hold him for meals... the table level sucked for a little toddler. so he in his tux with a kid on his lap eating lobster, prime rib, etc, etc. not sure he thought it was the best idea(like the new grandparent posted about his new "kidlets", no cruising for awhile)

Does anyone know if babies pay full 3rd passenger fare? And isn't there babysitting available for a fee (what age does that start at?) in case you want to have one night out?

I think its great to bring your baby along - it changes what you can do on a cruise, but I still thing it can be a wonderful and fun time.

I think we can pull this off! When I say we need to "get away" I don't mean from the baby, just that I need to relax, something that the baby is affording me more & more of:) Besides, If I don't bring her, I will probably just worry about her! Bringing grandma is a thought, maybe for Christmas if we can find the money in time of course! Only problem now that I think of it, is that we coudn't afford to bring both parent's & if you only have one adult in the cabin it is more money right? AND, my mom is claustrophobic to boot & wouldn't fair well in an inside cabin, OH WELL, guess that won't work!

Hey, the pool thing sounds like a good idea as long as it's small enough. But I still don't quite get it! Fill it up from the shower in your room? & walk through the halls & elevators with it to the top deck? Or did you mean somewhere else?:) Ha! Ha!

I think as long as we are considerate to other passengers we will be fine!

They have outdoor showers by the pools......

Does anyone know if babies pay full 3rd passenger fare? And isn't there babysitting available for a fee (what age does that start at?) in case you want to have one night out?

I think its great to bring your baby along - it changes what you can do on a cruise, but I still thing it can be a wonderful and fun time.

Yes, they pay the full 3rd person fare.

Babysitting is $6/hr for the first child, $4.50/hr for each additional. Babysitting will take all ages (I believe they now have to be 6 months, 12 months for Europe cruises?). Additionally, we did see some time in the Camp Capers from 12-2 that was under 2 playtime - usually on sea days. Parents could stay with their children to pay, or could leave them for the babysitting fee. Older kids weren't in the camp room at this time, they are there at night.

There are high chairs in the dining room, my neice sat in one at every meal. And at 8 months you will be able to shower with your baby, I took my foster daughter in the shower with me at that age, she would play while I washed myself and then I would wash her so no tub is no problem. I would bring some lysol wipes to wipe down the shower before you take her in there though.

I travelled everywhere with my foster daughter, and she was such an easy baby. I think it was because we travelled with her from 6 weeks old so she got used to it. If you lock your kids up in your house like others are suggesting you will end up with an unflexible child and you will be stuck when they get older and are so tied down to a schedule that you can't travel.

I say go for it, you will have so much fun and make memories that will last forever!!

IIf you lock your kids up in your house like others are suggesting you will end up with an unflexible child and you will be stuck when they get older and are so tied down to a schedule that you can't travel.

Ok did I miss something.........who said to do that!!

No highchairs would most certainly be a downfall, but, Kristy said there was. Maybe it varies from ship to ship? Something to look into prior. Maybe a Carnival rep could confirm.

I think just bringing her into the shower would work fine. Also, maybe some wash cloths & baby wash for "sponge offs" in between. That could work fine too I think.

I don't think posters meant to say to never do anything, never go anywhere with your baby. Everyone has there opinion though, & that's why I came here. I will consider things from all angles & perspectives. That's how you make a decision. Some people just think the cruise experience just isn't for a baby, some however, have made it work! I have already gotten great advice! One thing in particular is the germ factor. Maybe some kind of disinfecting hand wipes that I could keep handy?

Thanks!

Kristin

No highchairs would most certainly be a downfall, but, Kristy said there was. Maybe it varies from ship to ship? Something to look into prior. Maybe a Carnival rep could confirm.

I just called my pvp to check on this, and yes, there are plenty of high chairs on all the ships. She even made a notation on our reservation to have one of the chairs at our table replaced with a high chair before we even get to the dining room! :D

Sorry, I guess I didn't really mean anyone on this site said that. But dh's family is like that and it pisses me off. My brother in law had a baby first, and they kept saying how you CAN'T do this with a baby, and you CAN'T do that. Then I got my foster daughter and did all the things they said you couldn't do, and my baby was the most flexible baby ever and theirs had a melt down in Sesame Place and had to leave because it was nap time. :rolleyes: I guess it's just a sore spot with me, sorry again, lol.

you do realize when at dinner there are no high chairs, booster seats (are the cruise ships telling us something here ) so if you like holding your child while eating your meal. also unless you have the cat. 11 or cat. 12 suite, it is showers only. the sink is real small on no counter to the side, so giving a bath will be a challenge. i am with the poster than mentioned the germs thing. every tom, dick, and harry may want to touch the baby, as people do and goodness knows where their hands have been. go for it, i wouldn't do it. we took my grandson at 21 mons. old, but had a support system of 2 parents and 2 grandparents. only because my husband (worlds best grandpaw) would have to hold him for meals... the table level sucked for a little toddler. so he in his tux with a kid on his lap eating lobster, prime rib, etc, etc. not sure he thought it was the best idea(like the new grandparent posted about his new "kidlets", no cruising for awhile)

What ship were you on?:confused: We've been on 6 different carnival ships

and all had high chairs.

Someone I know just got off a HAL ship where Noro ran rampant.

Just a nice reminder why bringing a young baby wouldn't be something I'd do.

there are way too many ways a baby could get sick. When you're home with a baby, you always do your best to keep them from being exposed to too much, but at least at home, you have the confidence in knowing you are close to good medical attention if need be.

On a ship, you are SOL.

NO WAY worth the risk IMO.

I took my daughter, also an Olivia, on a cruise in October when she was about 8.5 months. We had a blast. We brought grandparents along to help, so that was nice. It wasn't as relaxing as a pre-baby cruise but it was still a vacation and a cruise so I can't complain. You will find plenty of naysayers here, but only you can decide whether it will be good for you or not. My daughter is an excellent and well-versed traveler and very easy going, so we knew she would do well.

Post to the Family Cruises board for more advice, if you haven't already.

And I don't know why that person said no high chairs, there are definitely high chairs in all the dining rooms- even the buffet. Just ask an employee and they will bring you one.

Archived