Are you curious about Compagnie du Ponant?

editor@cruisecritic

Mike, that is good info. I have a number of food allergies--some of which can be deadly--and can usually work around them with minimal disruption to the kitchen if there is a varied menu. A set menu tends to be a recipe for disaster for me, unless the kitchen is very willing to work around my allergies.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Mike2131,

Did that set menu have no choices at all? For instance, sometimes on Seabourn there is a set menu on a formal night bout there is always a choice of a meat, a fish and a vegetarian option.

My girlfriend asked and was told thet there were no substitutions available - on any course. If someone has a food alergy or a specific dietary restriction, I think they would have to have the flexibility and responsibility to respond to that situation. I am sure if such a restriction was communicated in the pre-cruise paperwork, they would have been prepared for it even on that evening.

At every other meal, there was the availability to go off the menu (and those other meal menus did offer choices) for a steak or something else - except for this one. Either the waiter (who spoke excellent English) either misunderstood the menu options (in this case, none?) for the evening, or the captain planned the menu with the Head Chef and said that's what we are serving. I found the food at that meal delicious, but my girlfriend did not fare too well.

Mike, that is good info. I have a number of food allergies--some of which can be deadly--and can usually work around them with minimal disruption to the kitchen if there is a varied menu. A set menu tends to be a recipe for disaster for me, unless the kitchen is very willing to work around my allergies.

Per my previous post, I am sure they would have the responsibility to be prepared for any food allergies or dietary restrictions. I actually had to go get a check-up in order to provide the properly filled out (and physician-signed) medical waiver for the Antarctic trip. If they are that demanding, I see no way they would be hap-hazard in responding to your needs. My girlfriend's delimma was one of taste, not dietary issues. While not picky, she is not a terribly adventurous eater. At one meal, for instance, Wild Boar was one of the choices. She passed, but I did not. It was superb.

Edited by Mike2131

Mike, that is good info. I have a number of food allergies--some of which can be deadly--and can usually work around them with minimal disruption to the kitchen if there is a varied menu. A set menu tends to be a recipe for disaster for me, unless the kitchen is very willing to work around .

Most Americans would have a problem with a menu with NO choices. That may be fine for a day or two but not for a longer cruise. No further information needed for us!:eek:

Most Americans would have a problem with a menu with NO choices. That may be fine for a day or two but not for a longer cruise. No further information needed for us!:eek:

From the post it sounded like it was 1 dinner that was set meal

I am sure if you had food allergies they would accommodate you

Looking forward to hear more from Carolyn

Having studied Soleal’s deckplans before we departed from our trip, we wondered if the size of the cabins was a typo (most are between 200 – 226 square ft., which is pretty small for a luxury ship). It wasn’t. If size matters, you definitely want to book “up”. The deluxe suite (290 sq. ft, not including balcony) and the owner’s suite (484 sq. ft, again, balcony is additional) are the largest. We’re in a prestige suite (398 sq. feet) which essentially is two prestige staterooms with an opening between them, and it’s lovely (one is a bedroom, the other is a living room – with couch that turns into bed for third person, a dining table and additional bathroom).

We’d have been perfectly happy, however, in just the stateroom (though love the extra space) and here’s why: The bed is one of the most comfortable I’ve ever slept in. The décor, cream, beige and brown, is streamlined and clean, not the least bit fussy or busy, so calming. It feels like a mix between yacht-style and Scandinavian (but not IKEA!). Lighting is lovely (adore the wide, round white lamp). The balconies are not deep but the furniture’s comfortable (two mesh chairs, small table). Everybody gets a mini-fridge which is stocked every day with whatever beverages you ask for.

Most bathrooms are shower-only (our bedroom has an actual tub. It’s a tub for very small people but a tub’s a tub!). They have a glass wall that lets you look out into the cabin (and out at sea) but you can easily draw a door across for privacy. It’s a little weird that the toilet has its own (very small, kind of claustrophobic) cubby. Storage: Good. There’s a clock radio with an iPhone charger (4, not 5).

The only thing that hits an off note is the television. It’s clearly state-of-the-art flat-screen but it’s complicated. For some reason we don’t have any broadcast channels (haven’t minded that so much as we bought an Internet package and are keeping in touch that way – Internet works really well for a ship, by the way), but still…. There’s 40 movies in English but the selection’s sort of blah.

Back to size: This ship reminds me so much of a new version of Windstar’s Wind Surf (which we absolutely love) without the sails, of course. Wind Surf has a similar double-wide suite configuration. I’ve stayed in the regular cabins at half the size, and I’ve stayed in one of the suites, and I had a blast on both cruises.

Same here.

CSB

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Wow, the food's a big issue here! Doesn't surprise me, and I'll post about that below, Travelcat2. But did want to address the announcement question. They're always made in French first, then English. Always. The irony about the port guides' and languages -- they all speak English very well, but French -- not so much. So we're actually getting the better part of the deal on this one!

Carolyn

I am also interested in hearing about the food.

In terms of language, are announcements done in English as well as French and perhaps other languages?

Your visit to Krakatoa sounds incredible.

Totally agree with Mike about the cabin size. Pretty much the only time I've been hanging out in here during the day is when I'm having a jet-lag moment, and then I'm either resting or sleeping. I really like to work, for instance, in the library (there are two game tables that make nice desks!), love the deck seven pool deck for watching the world cruise by, etc.

There's a couple onboard (from Germany) who were on Austral last year and they also loved the experience (we have the same captain, by the way). I can't comment on stability because the seas have been so quiet -- and boy oh boy am I ever not complaining about that! So every once in a while I forget I'm on a ship. But Eva, one of the Germans, told us that even in Antarctica the ship was really stable, aside from the rough-and-ready Drake Passage, which is almost always rough on every ship.

Carolyn

We were on a sister ship - L'Austral - for a 10-night Antarctica cruise in December 2011. I think the cabin size matters less when you are on an expedition cruise. The ship offered plenty of luxury touches, excellent food and service, etc. plus time spent in the cabin was pretty minimal because you were busy. Probably a good comparison is to two smaller vessels we have sailed on - the Silversea Silver Explorer and the Celebrity Xpedition.

Stability was not an issue. We were in 35 foot seas in the Drake southbound and in 40 foot seas heading up the Antarctic Peninsula. Did we feel it - you bet! Did we feel like we were out of control or going to roll over - absolutely not. We definitely had an experienced and excellent crew and Captain plus we were very happy to have one of the larger, newer vessels sailing in those waters.

Ducklite, the spa is very small -- there's no hydrotherapy pool-type thing (there is on the other ships, not sure why not on this one) but it's got otherwise what you need: A beauty salon, treatment rooms (had a standard massage yesterday; 110 euro for 50 minutes, very nice), small gym (determined to get there and try out the stationary bikes). So definitely adequate.

One nice thing: There are fitness classes and since there's no dedicated room for that the group one morning was doing a stretch class on the stage in the theater! Looked like fun.

I'll tackle food shortly!

Carolyn

The L'Astral was docked next to us several times during our two weeks on the Wind Surf in 2012. She's a beautiful ship. The Wind Surf is a very different looking ship--equally beautiful--and it was stunning seeing them contrast in each port.

We became very curious about the Compagnie du Ponant ships after that, and have been taking a serious look at their expedition cruises to Antartica.

I'm interested in their spa facilities, how do they compare to those on other ships? I'm also interested in their food--particularly how adept they are at working with special diets and food allergies.

My last question is regarding their stabilization--how do they compare to other large and small ships?

Have a great cruise!

There's more variety than SeaDream, AlexandraCruiser, but not much -- so can see why people would like the 400 - 700 passenger ships for just that reason. I adore Regent, Seabourn and Oceania too. But I will say this is a different experience, more port-intensive, a bit more relaxed. A bit more informal, I'd say. Just different….

Again, I'd compare it with SeaDream (in fact if SeaDream were ever to build or buy new ships Soleal would be perfect for it) and Windstar. Do have to say that the very fact that Ponant is building 263-passenger ships (approximately!), well, that's absolutely unique in the cruise industry. Nobody else is doing that, everyone's going larger, even luxe lines. So it's definitely a very special experience.

Carolyn

and found it TOO SMALL for us. Not enough variety in dining,lounging,entertainment,etc. So this one would most likely be the same.

Like the 400 to 700 passenger size the best.Like Regent,Seabourne,Oceania.;)

Okay, who can ID the Broadway musical I'm quoting above? :)

Anyway, just a heads up that I'm going to set up a meeting with the ship's hotel director to get answers to your food/dining questions. So if you have any others besides what's been posted, please let me know asap. And then I'll report back to you.

Carolyn

Ducklite, the spa is very small -- there's no hydrotherapy pool-type thing (there is on the other ships, not sure why not on this one) but it's got otherwise what you need: A beauty salon, treatment rooms (had a standard massage yesterday; 110 euro for 50 minutes, very nice), small gym (determined to get there and try out the stationary bikes). So definitely adequate.

One nice thing: There are fitness classes and since there's no dedicated room for that the group one morning was doing a stretch class on the stage in the theater! Looked like fun.

I'll tackle food shortly!

Carolyn

Thanks! The hydrotherapy pool is of no interest to me, as long as they have treatment rooms and offer a hot stone massage, I'm good to go.

As long as there is a treadmill and free weights in the fitness center, it's all I need to compliment my daily yoga practice. :)

Carolyn,

Thanks for the great info so far. The comparison to the Wind Surf really helps, as we loved that ship for it's intimacy and casual elegance. Can't wait to hear more, and we're glad you are enjoying your trip!

Okay, who can ID the Broadway musical I'm quoting above? :)

Anyway, just a heads up that I'm going to set up a meeting with the ship's hotel director to get answers to your food/dining questions. So if you have any others besides what's been posted, please let me know asap. And then I'll report back to you.

Carolyn

Opening song of Oliver!:D

Orchestrapal, just want to reiterate what LHT28 said -- it's only the one meal that there's a set menu.

Every other meal, plenty of choices. There's an entire page for a vegetarian meal, course-by-course, including dessert. I'm saving some menus....

Will get back to you tomorrow re specific answers to food questions. Any others?

Carolyn

Hi, tv24. The fitiness center is small but has what you really need -- treadmills, stationary bikes. Nice little nook up on deck five, with great views. I did the bike yesterday and it was just fine. There's also a kinesis wall and I've seen one passenger in particular really using that for stretching and pulling.

Yesterday, after a busy day in port, there were four of us in the center, so yes, pretty well used during down times, I'd say!

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn: Did you use the fitness center yet? How was the stationary bike? Is it the recumbent type? Is the fitness center well-used?

Hi, tv24. The fitiness center is small but has what you really need -- treadmills, stationary bikes. Nice little nook up on deck five, with great views. I did the bike yesterday and it was just fine. There's also a kinesis wall and I've seen one passenger in particular really using that for stretching and pulling.

Yesterday, after a busy day in port, there were four of us in the center, so yes, pretty well used during down times, I'd say!

Carolyn

What about free weights, medicine balls, etc.?

Hi. One or two of the bikes had seats that leaned back further than the others, not sure if that qualifies!

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn: Did you use the fitness center yet? How was the stationary bike? Is it the recumbent type? Is the fitness center well-used?

After an illuminating chat with Eric Noir, Le Soleal’s hotel director, about cuisine and such, and enough time on board to formulate an opinion, here goes!

First: If you have super-special dietary requirements (beyond vegetarian), you definitely need to let the line know ahead of time; the more advance notice you give them, the more time they have to bulk up on appropriate provisions. But it’s a small ship, and very personal, and special requests are accommodated if possible.

The vegetarian options on this ship seem to be more diverse than I’ve ever seen on a small vessel. Plenty of choice at the buffets at lunch and breakfast, and at dinner, the menu in the Restaurant L’Eclipse is impressive, at least I think! On Monday night, for instance, the vegetarian menu featured:

Soup: Roasted tomato soup

Starters & salads: Field lettuce, roasted sea salt sesame seeds, Asian dressing

and/or sliced vegetable salad

Main course: Vegetable and semolina couscous wok with basmati rice

Desserts (sugar free): Apple and raspberry compote and/or sliced fresh fruit

I met a passenger who is vegan, and she was highly praising the culinary staff with assisting her….

Carolyn

Edited by Host Jazzbeau